125 GP bike? Can I? huh? huh? Can i?

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by overdraft, Jul 10, 2012.

1. overdraft

overdraft too slow to race

Guessing my new bike will be too loud... Any thoughts?

2. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

Check with Graham Buck.I know he played around with "extra" silencers and such.It was tough to make the 95db limit but maybe some of the Formula Classic RZ racers have some thoughts.Alex?Tony?

3. overdraft

maybe i'll just go south...

4. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

What type of silencers are you running? I found the fmf turbine core or power core really keep the noise down and pass tech. How I know....I've been meatballed over 20 times! and paid my dues to the sound gods. Thank fmf. We would love to see
    a gp bike come out overdraft.

5. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

The only way to find out is by actually running it. There are a few things you can do to ensure that it will be quiet(er). Silencer. Georgie likes the FMF, we run these on the RZ

http://tyga-performance.com/site/product_info.php?products_id=512

Other guys are on DG's.

If you put on a bigger silencer than stock, and make sure it is freshly and adequately packed that will go a long way.

sound proofing material inside the fairing. That seems to help

heat tape. used by some of us. whatever you do do not wrap the whole exhaust... it will change it's characteristics.

state of tune is an important factor. 2 strokes are loudest when they are tuned for max. power. dial it up a jet size (maybe two, if you can live without all of the power) and it will cut out a few db's.

the particular sounds your bike makes. ie. higher pitch vs. growl... kind of hard to explain. at the track some bikes are really loud and are ok, and others that you would think are quite enough get meatballed.

So far the dB gods have been kind to the two stroke brotherhood... Like I said, bring it out and see what happens.

cheers
    alex

p.s noticed how i was good and stayed away from fluffy bunnies and rubber chickens? :):):)

6. Graham

Graham Dyno operator/Racer

7. bsa_414

Interesting little accessory. Did it have baffles inside and/or packing? It does not seem like it from the parts diagram. But then again, you can't see the two ex. openings that they talk about either...

I'd sure like to see one of these devices in person if you still have yours!

8. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Unfortunately the company is out of business.

9. Da Beav

Da Beav New Member

well i have the exhaust system that graham made. It allows you to make the sound limit at laguna seca on a 125. Ill take some pictures of it or if you want to give it a try let me know. I also know of a few others that were made.
    Big B

10. overdraft

well it looks like 2013 is going to be a real season! props to the exec for getting that to happen. now i have to try and figure out if i can participate... here's my dilemma, i live on the island and the first ferry doesn't get me to the track in time for tech and riders meeting so i have to come over the night before... so here's the MINIMUM cost of finding out if i make the sound limit:

$150 license
    $130 ferry, round trip
    $120 hotel
    $ 85 one race fee
    $ 35 medical fee
    $520 MINIMUM cost to turn 1 lap and possibly get meatballed and go home.

I'd think about it if there was some way of getting my license and race fees back if I failed... gamble the $250 for ferry and hotel... but $520 is a bit much... I'd like to support the 'local' track but the incremental cost of racing in washington is 1 tank of gas and there's no doubt that i'll get to ride. anyone got any thoughts?

11. overdraft

running mfactory west carbon fiber muffler. i figured the cf might resonate less than the stock aluminum can (looks good too)
    cans.jpg

12. overdraft

i always run fat... both personally and jet size!
    but ya, the issue is my cost of 'actually running it' to find out... see whiney post a couple back

13. kingston

kingston New Member

you could crash at hotel Kingston in langley for free. just might have to listen to old bench racing stories from the 8o's.

14. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

You could also crash at hotel Whittle, but you might have to listen to toddler's crying!

15. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

Is that the baby or you that crys at night?

16. bsa_414

I will point out that both 'hotel kingston' and 'hotel whittle' are 4T hotels. Another alternative is my 2T motel (LOL) trackside... I usually have a guest spot in the RV track side, and as an added bonus your bike can pit with another 125GP bike (yes, we'll have one of these for the 2013 season) and in the AM you will be surrounded by the 2T brotherhood of the RZ's.

I usually get there and set up Friday nights. For the first round, I will try to go to the WCSS track day, thus setting up Thu. night. PM me ahead of time, and we'll make sure you're in good company.

Ring a ding ding.... 2013! The season of the 'smokers'.....

17. overdraft

Bike should be ready for 29/30th...

However even with the generous 'hotel' offers still looking at:
    $150 license
    $134 ferry, round trip
    $ 85 one race fee
    $ 35 medical fee
    $404 MINIMUM cost to turn 1 lap and possibly get meatballed and go home...

any chance of getting a reading before I hit the track and getting a refund if I'm not gonna make it? Then I'm only into it for the ferry and the hotel...

18. overdraft

ok, how about this? i show up, pay the gate fee and enter taste of racing... fall back, do a wot run on the front straight while someone db's me... if it's all good i sign up for a license for the second day. would that work?

or does anyone know if i do a Troy day if someone tests during those that could let me know if i was ok?

19. tt600

tt600 New Member

word on the street they were supposed to be.... with the new rule.there was talk of doing it on the trackday. try emailing the exec?

20. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

Al from the track will be there friday and can give you a db reading. Hopefully you will have no sound problems and can race with us all weekend.