WTF is happening to WMRC?

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by ted, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

No offense taken Ted. I still contend that the pricing has very little to do with losing racers. I honestly think that the biggest reason we have lost races is our race dates, and (based on the feedback here) we have lost the plot in terms of making it fun to race here. We burn up more effort on obscure items instead of ensuring we are an inclusive race club where people WANT to be.

I think things like swap meets, car washes, etc. won't do a thing to help the club as long as it isn't a fun place to be.

Racers haven't stopped coming to Mission because the race fees are too high. They have stopped coming because the racing is too expensive.

You may ask yourself, isn't that the same thing? Answer - NO. What makes racing at Mission too expensive is that there are a number of people who would rather take that time and money elsewhere rather than come to a WMRC event. They haven't stopped racing because the choice is between making rent and racing, they have stopped racing because they would rather take that time and money and take it down the I-5, or have a newer car, or go dirtbiking, or buy a house etc.

It used to be that racers didn't want to come to the WMRC because Mission was too dangerous with all the walls and the kink etc. That has now be substantially resolved. Now we have another problem to solve, one that will be difficult to solve because it does not take money, but rather a dedicated effort to change the club's culture.

From what I have observed over the last few weeks online, I think if we solve the culture problem the number of racers and the financial problems will take care of themselves.

It's like when people quit a job over the amount of pay they get. It isn't that they are underpaid, its that they are underpaid to deal with the sh*t they have to at work.

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I was hoping my positive thread would have killed this negative one, but it seems people would rather just talk about the negatives. In regards to the quote above, the way the executive clique separates itself physically at the track is part of the problem, I know Ken loves having his private VIP area. Instead of mixing about the paddock with the newbs and the regulars, the exec likes to have a physical separation between them and the lowly members (it seems like that at least). I've noticed it since the separation began, thinking it was strange and alienating. I was talking to a Calgary racer who moved to the island and I talked him into trying out Mission last summer. He didn't mind the track but thought the feel in the pits was very uninviting. Nobody talked to him or introduced themselves welcoming him to the club. He said because of the weird vibe he got that he will just stick to racing supermoto at Tradex instead of roadracing with the WMRC. Pretty sad.

3. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Whoops that might be our fault, he spent sometime drinking some beers with us. I think al was with us too, that would probably explain the weird vibe. Once you get to know him, you get to know he's not that strange.

4. gxr jo

gxr jo New Member

i find ken an engaging fellow to talk to and has been helpful the few times i asked for feedback on something , where u get the vip area from i don't know , maybe your attitude dean is part of the problem

5. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

The reason why the pits were setup that way is so that the executive is all in one place in case Rick or any of the race day staff know where to find them. I just pit in the same spot all the time as I'm easy find and I mooch a tent from Marbod.

6. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Yes, we were asked to all keep in the same spot so that any race official could find us easily. Before that, Jayson, Ryan Welton, Mike Thompson, and myself, used to pit in the middle of the paddock. We are a race team, hence why we pit together. But we chose to move to a location that race officials can find us easily. Just so happens that's Ducati/BMW row. It's not to be exclusive.

7. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

To be honest, I think the snobbish attitude isn't just in racing. When we curl in Alberta it is a very different attitude compared to curling in BC. I was shocked at how friendly the teams were compared to curling in our own back yard. Sounds like it is just a difference in locations and the big city attitude? The big teams in Alberta would still sit down and have a drink with you after they just kicks your ass, but that wouldn't happen with the coastal teams.

8. younglion

younglion New Member

Interesting thread... I remember one just like it two years ago on my WMRRA board. Same issues, same questions, similar idea's being floated, and sadly some of the same finger pointing.

I wish there was a simple fix but we never got a chance to figure out our problem as The Ridge was built and it turns out THAT RACERS WILL PAY TO RACE AT A TOP NOTCH FACILITY so last year was a MUCH improved year fiscally for our Club. I think to be honest that you're basically trying to get more blood from the stone and there's nothing left. I know there's a difference in track day costs and racing costs but 1. Not to the level Stykman alludes to by any means but mainly 2. Why would any Island or lower mainland based potential racer spend their money to race at Mission where the fee's are the same, there's restrictions on exhausts, and the class offerings are somewhat limited in comparison to what WMRRA offers at The Ridge or PR. For me in Victoria, I take the ferry regardless, I have an hour and a half drive regardless, and the only difference is that I get to race on a brand new world class track that has no walls, smooth tarmac, top notch race day staff, large grids, AND I won't be belittled about having to book out early to catch the ferry back home? (Regardless of the apology I think it was pretty clear when you initially put it in there who and what you were referencing).

I couldn't believe it when I read that there is no mentor program in place with the WMRC right now? Seriously? You just say "Thanks for the cash, now off you go!"? Having a mentor has made ALL the difference in retention of racers but as we all know there's going to be a lot of attrition regardless due to the usual finances, life changes, injuries, etc...

The WMRC has a great group of racers and everyone of you that I've met has been enthusiastic about the Club so please just take this only as reasoning as to why I, a very likely candidate as a future racer with your Club, can't find enough reasons why I'd give you my $1200/yr in race fee's over the competitor.

9. kingston

kingston New Member

Imagine what the world would be like if we all just chased after the best experiance for the money.

10. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Pretty f'n great don't you think?

11. kingston

kingston New Member

-1 .......

12. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I don't know if you are the old kingston or the young kingston but both of you appeared to be kind and enthusiastic motorcyclists, so maybe I have taken this the wrong way. I was going to leave your -1 comment, but maybe it benefits a few more people if I clear up my point of view.

You ask what the world would be like if people chased after the best experience for the money. I think that would be great, and you don't. Please take notice that I did not state that chasing the cheapest option would be great, but the best experience for the money. Please explain why would you not want the best experience for the money? This is exactly what has been discussed in this thread for the past 6 pages! If the WMRC created a better experience for the money, the odds of gaining new membership and/or retaining current members should increase. Do you not agree? I raced with the WMRC in 2011 because racing a 250 ninja was a great experience for the money. Perhaps you don't understand my point of view, and by displaying your negative comment are illustrating why this club has a hard time retaining new members.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  13. kingston

kingston New Member

Hay Jay, I totally agree with your earlier post on this forum. I was just responding in thought to Younglion, and thank God that we have many members who race and help out with the club, because they know what makes a good club, is many members helping with all there is to do. Just imagine if we didn't have that, we'd just have for profit clubs and facilities, and some think it's expensive now! I'm the old fart.

Randy

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  14. Simon

Simon New Member

We have 2 issues that I see, first is the sound rule, the year that was brought it was the day the club died. I feel so sorry for Al, that was the biggest shit storm and still is but there is nothing we can do about it and allowing unstock exhausts is simply going to make it worse.

2nd, no one knows we race and that there is even a club. We need exposure. I've lost track of people I've talked to that have no idea we have a track let alone a bike race club. People show up in my shop for bike tires and they see my pics of racing. Of course they ask and they have no clue we are around. What ever happened to the local forum BC Sportbikes? They should be out in droves every race weekend, especially with taste of racing.

I've offered to mentor people before but no on ever has taken me up on the offer, :(

You have to help at OMRRA or you can't race, yet everyone does it and no one complains?

This I don't understand, we want people, products to show up and help get people out yet we want to rape them? $750 to set up shop, WTF? That's insane and no wonder we don't have anyone but Mspeed and a few others.

We had a huge fundraiser, its called The Daytona Party but somewhere back in time, some execs ruined it and now its for the Children's Hospital.

15. ted

ted asshat

Thanks Ryan, let's move on.

Good points team, the one about BC sportbike is a good one for any of us who follow it. One of the loudest, local vocal detractors on that site is local BCSB sponsor bayside performance. If any of the local fence sitting riders read what he says about the track/racing at Mission and didn't sift through his diatribes would think we were racing in a fifty gallon drum with IED's littering the curves. Simon raises a point that we should all be adhering to and that's being vocal about our club, and the track we have to race on. Positives kill negatives so each and every one of us that belong to BCSB should be posting on the site constantly about upcoming events, classes, anything to paint the club and the track to try and encourage newbies to come out. Best part is that kind of advertising is free, and word of mouth carries. That is a strong message, and one we should all make a point of doing.

I agree with the Ridge comment as well, I'm sure most of our club would ride exclusively at Laguna Seca if they could except it's a long drive. You make do with what you have.

John Cathie, John Surtees called looking for you..................

16. Hiener

Hiener New Member

I know this might have been mentioned already, but a simple monthly or biweekly email should be sent out to members/registrants of the forum (1000+ members) I get one from about 10 different forums, and they are usually just a summary of information posted within the month or upcoming events. It's not rocket science but coming up with the content is usually the hardest part of doing a newsletter style communication.

I post daily to Bcsbsportbikes, it does reach a broader rider audience, but again, the steps of getting into racing isn't that clear. I've gotten tons of messages on that forum regarding racing this year. Almost all pertain to new people and 250 class, where to start. I spend my time explaining my steps and my experience last year. I've gotten a few pretty much committed, but again, lack of information.

WMRC Novice Roll Call thread

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/145476-WMRC-Novice-Roll-Call-for-2013

250 Racers thread

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/132785-Where-are-all-the-250-racers/page10

latest info needs to be on facebook/twitter/google+, those are the big platforms of information sharing, I look at my company's marketing efforts and facebook/twitter/google+ are the big drivers. Heck a youtube video would do wonders, explaining how to get into racing and wmrc.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  17. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

We have about 100+ active registrations, not 1000+. Most of those were one time set the account and not visit. That being said, there is no reason to not use the forum to send out emails. I invite folks who think they can develop content to do so. Once you do that, I'll grant access to to the forum database to send out bi-weekly newsletters.

18. tt600

tt600 New Member

a little off topic.has the exec thought of having weekend membership fee opposed to having to pay for a full membership.i noticed wmrra offers that also.