Would you race on Sunday July 1st?

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Jun 20, 2012.

?

Would you race on Sunday July 1st?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2012.
  1. Yes, I want BOTH Monday June 25 AND July 1st

48.1%
  2. I ONLY want July 1st

40.7%
  3. Keep it to just Monday June 25th

11.1%
  4. I can't make either dates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

IF the club took this date, would you show up? Please vote and let us know. We are considering taking this date as a replacement for the Monday. But I'll let you guys decide. WE need to make a decision by Tomorrow night.

Remember, that a vote here is a commitment to us and your fellow members.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. ctardi

ctardi New Member

In spirit I would love to pull it off, but I can't commit to that day. I am paid up for the 25th, unsure if I'll even be able to make that, but I put my vote in for the 25th since the club has my monetary commitment.

3. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

I'd say let's do both. Or the just the first since I'm not able to make the 25th.;)

4. bigga_boy

bigga_boy Livin' The Dream WMRC President

finger slipped...sorry....
    dean, please move my vote to option #1.
    i will be at either day or both.

5. kingston

kingston New Member

Ah, yes for july 1st

6. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Yeah, it's always tough to add things this late in the game, but I think that since the 1st is a weekend it will be a lot easier for people to make it out. Double-header with a trackday will only help.

I'll be there to help with setup and teardown for sure.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Sucks for us Islanders. BC Ferries busiest weekend of the year is Canada Day weekend. But Jeff and me will suck it up and do both. :cool:

8. jcathie

jcathie Member

Hedge Your Bets

My inclination would be to plan on having races both days for several reasons.

1. Most people have already planned and budgeted for racing this coming Monday :D
    2. It would appear we could have a cancellation due to high water levels at any moment. If we cancel Monday in favor of Sunday we could be screwing ourselves out of both dates :mad:
    3. The weather for Monday is forecast to be superb (depending on which site you look at). Right now, the forecast for next weekend does not look particularly promising on any site :confused:
    4. If, and I emphasize 'if', we get a good racer turnout for both days, it will benefit the club financially.:cool:
    Here's a link to the latest and greatest from the River Forecast Center here.

It's a bit of a conundrum having the dates so close together, but we get what we get.

Dean, yet again, I don't envy you your position this year.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  9. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Both! More! More!

10. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

When is this call being made?

11. Dean

Now. It's official, we are racing on July 1st and will not be racing on Monday June 25th.

12. fiftycapt

fiftycapt The Captain

Let's hope everyone can change their plans. I might be totally hosed. Fuck

13. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Looks like the majority was to race both. Not sure the club would prefer a 4 race series over 5. Going to be really fucked if the river crests for the Canada Day weekend. Now I'm out money for my ferry reservations too. :mad:

14. Dean

The majority? The WMRC has 82 racers who hold valid licenses this year. That number is down from previous years. we did not even get quorum on this vote! Do you think this decision was taken lightly? Do you know how much it COSTS to run a race day? Do you know how many hours are put in by volunteers for a race day? Do you know how much race day staff it takes to run a race?

Our staff, volunteers, and racers all weighed in. Some wanted both days, some only 1, and very few with no change. We could NOT staff both days, and were looking at skeleton staff and volunteers for the Monday. On top of that, most of our staff and racers could salvage the Monday and go back to work and make money. That's why we chose to do that. I know you live on the Island, so you cannot come to our meetings to know how much a race days costs the club, so I'll cut you some slack there.

It's also a consideration that 2 race days 5 days apart would cost the average racer a little over $1000 to do both. Given that, how many would have elected to skip a rainy Monday and hope the Sunday would be better? There were so many factors that went into this difficult decision and not all were voted on. That's why we are elected to make those decisions. We know we cannot please everyone and for that we are sorry, but we proudly stand by our decision, which was made in the best interests of the club.

15. kingston

kingston New Member

Good job making a tough decision, I believe a majority will be behind ya, was july 1st not our best day last year ?

16. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Any person who works near or passes by one of the WMRC posters might wish to grab a piece of tape and write "Moved! Sunday July 1" on it. Stick it over the old round three date on the poster.

Point the sticky part of the tape at the poster as you are doing this. That is how tape works.

I did the one at the Gillnetter, took me three tries.

17. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Yeah, after sleeping on it and thinking about the logistics involved in running a race, especially a weekday race, I realized it was a good decision. :dance::nana:

18. Hiener

Hiener New Member

I can run a batch of the posters with the new date, not sure if that will help.

Hope to make the July date.

19. ted

ted asshat

You idiots, I just changed my shift today to leave early Monday, and I booked the long weekend to go away.

Sheesh......................

20. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Sorry Ted, I forgot I asked you to be my umbrella person. Yeah, I'm gonna need you July 1st instead.