WMRC Promotions

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Bernie, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

1) Fact!
    The members of the WMRC think that you elect a promotions person, and they promote the club, and they should do so instead of racing/eating/working, because they were dumb enough to volunteer for the job!
    2) Truth!
    The sucker, I mean promotions volunteer has the job of working on a poster and series sponsors, sending out releases and information to newspapers, etc. Pass on that information to the membership at meetings, and collect contacts from the membership for things it's best an exec handle. Like sponsorship, events, etc.
    The Shit!
    Most people think about number one (Fact!). and ignore or disagree about number 2. Sadly, number one doesn't work, at all, and never will. Anyone that will do all the work isn't very smart, so the plan would fail even if it was viable ;-) Which it isn't!

The perfect example is the facebook crap. The club runs an event. They even post an event page for a race day (great idea). It always pisses me off when I see 156 people invited. Are you telling me with 601 people on our facebook page, and 100+ racers, that's the best you can do in inviting friends to the races? No, that's just being fucking lazy! I have about 60 people on my facebook that are WMRC members. Sometimes I don't get an invite at all. joke away, but that's lazy through and through.

2. Bernie

I used to have a small shop in Ontario, and sponsored a ton of racers over the years.
    We always favoured the guys that were easy to work with, and actually dragged a few customers our way.
    No hot bikes, clean up your mess, pay your bills, life was easy. Oh, and our stickers all over the bike!
    The smart guys would show up at the beginning of the year. They would;
    bring us lunch
    put their bike on display
    help around the shop, chat up customers
    promote themselves, us, the track, and the customers loved it.
    This was long ago, no internet, but I believe this physical presence is worth more than a 'like' on facebook.
    These guys got invited back the following year.

If you're not promoting your sponsors (which will also promote racing in BC), then you are a mooch, and it's welfare, not sponsorship you're asking for.
    You are supposed to present yourself as an advertising medium. And then... go out and advertise!

3. Bernie

If I was racing, and had a sponsor or two;

a few emails, one at the start, and at least one during the year to almost everyone I know
    invite everyone on facebook that even be remotely interested to every race, whether you can attend or not
    spend a Saturday before the first race day with my race bike under a tent at the shop that sponsors me, talking to customers, handing out schedules
    make sure the shop has posters and schedules visible (your job, not someone else's!)
    buy a few gate passes and make sure your big sponsors have free entry
    *** at least once a year, bring and extra tent and chairs, some veggie trays and snacks, and make a big effort to drag them or anybody down to watch

4. Bernie

The Show

This is old, but I have a lot of experience at this part.
    If the show sucks, people get up and leave. And they probably won't come back.
    Racing is like a restaurant or a bar or a band. Suck a few times, and you never get another chance.

I am a very strong believer that the day should go as quick as safely possible, and it ends early, open practice or more Taste of Racing.
    Long delays suck balls, kill the show, and are boring as hell, even for addicts like myself.
    This also means racers need to be at the grid on time! That's your part in the plan.
    Put your damn grid position on a piece of tape on your tank.
    If the day runs great, with no crashes, finish early!
    Especially on a hot day with no shade for the stands.

Announcing. Thank you for getting it back on track. Please keep making it better.
    It's so important, and if you don't' see that, run now, you don't know much about promotion!
    Announcer, second one at turn 7, a logistics helper (who maybe can do announcements to give #1 announcer a throat break).
    If you disagree, watch the people get on their bikes after a long delay in the hot sun. They don't' come back later ;-)

5. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Freakin epic rants Bernie!
    Pretty much aligned with a lot of my views as well.