WMRC Presentation at Bayview Elementary School

Discussion in 'Events' started by spero, May 29, 2014.

1. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

We need some WMRC racers with their racebikes to help with a presentation at Bayview Elementary School next month. We are looking at either June 24th or 25th as the day of the event.

We'll be talking about motorcycle racing, chasing your dreams, sportsmanship, etc in front of 300 kids and a bunch of parents - some of whom ride!

We'll also hand out some 2-for-1 WMRC gate passes, sign some racing posters, give out T-shirts and take pictures with the kids.

We would be setting up the "pits" around lunchtime in the auditorium and then start the presentation between 1pm-2pm. It should only run between 1 to 1.5 hours.

Bayview is located at 7th & Collingwood in Kitsilano and is the elementary school that I attended.

This will be a great opportunity to promote our sport and fill the grandstands for our July 26-27 race weekend. Plus you'll get inspire the kids and feel like a Motogp superstar for a day!

Who's in?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I just need to check my schedule at work, but that should work for me. I'd be happy to speak to the littluns. I can take my inspiration from Reese Bobby in Talladega Nights.

3. tt600

tt600 New Member

awesome thing your doing spero....

4. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

That's great Ryan! Thanks Lu!

Btw, when I met with the Principal of Bayview she told me about a kid that recently lost his dad, which leads me to my next post:

5. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

THE REASON WHY I AM SO PASSIONATE ABOUT MOTORCYCLES
    (...Or in my case motorcycles, motorcycle racing and motorsports in general)

I had thought about sharing this story at last season's WMRC Awards Banquet but I don't think I would’ve been able to make it all the way through it. Since we have the WMRC Presentation planned at Bayview Elementary School in June I had a meeting with the Principal and told her the story which led me to decide to share it here even though it is very personal...

I lost my mom in a car accident when I was 5 years old. My younger brother and I were in the back seat of the car at the time when she lost control when her foot apparently slipped off the brake and onto the accelerator. We hit a big tree on West King Edward Avenue in Vancouver head on and she was killed instantly. I will never be able to forget the image of my mom in the driver's seat with her head slung back and blood everywhere. I had suffered a broken Femur in the accident but thankfully my brother was not hurt.

I was in a full leg cast from waist to ankle for a very long time and got around the house by crawling on the floor using only my arms and good leg - apparently I didn't want to use my crutches! When the cast finally came off, I would still be crawling around and refused to even try to walk. My dad asked the doctor for advice and he suggested that he get me a bicycle...well, once I got on that thing there was absolutely no getting me off of it!

Our house was only a block away from Bayview Elementary School and years later when they built a playground with a bunch of hills and a big metal slide that is where I would always be riding my bike. As a matter of fact, when the big metal slide was installed I was the very first kid in the neighborhood to ride down it on a bike...such a hooligan!

Incidentally, my dad had re-married a couple years after the accident and I've always considered my stepmom and stepsister to be anything but "step” - they are and have been as much a part of my family as my dad or brother. I have no idea how my dad had the strength to go on, he is and always be my biggest idol.

I think what drives my passion about motorcycles, motorcycle racing and motorsports in general is that I want to be the best that I can possibly be at something dangerous. It's kind of like me showing mom, who is my guardian angel that her son can excel something that is comparable to the type of thing that killed her.

I know a few other racers that have similar stories to mine and because of that we share a special bond when we are going handlebar to handlebar into a corner battling hard for race position.

As I said, I had thought of sharing this at the WMRC Awards Banquet especially since I had won all 4 of my WMRC Championships with zero crashes! Look Ma...I did it perfectly!

6. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Thanks for sharing that very personal story Spero.

7. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

As if my plate isn't full enough....I thought I'd revive this thread and see if there's anyone interested in helping out with it. Last year we unfortunately had to cancel it due to the strike.

I'm thinkng maybe before our racing season starts and the best day for me would be a Monday.

8. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Let me know what I can do Spero.

It would be nice to have some field trips out at the track in aims of exposing youth to something different than the common sports they are exposed too. Not that there is anything wrong with football, soccer, hockey, etc, but I feel that the average kid in BC doesn't know who much about motorsports, how fun it can be, and how they can get involved.

9. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

That's great George. Let's get as many racers out there with their bikes & tents to set up a pit lane. If it's raining there's a big covered area to set up under.

All WMRC racers should organize presentations at their old schools as well. I'll help out any way that I can.

It's all about talking to the kids about following their dreams no matter what they may be, sportsmanship, hard work, determination & commitment.