WMRC name change

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by spero, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Edward

Edward New Member

Good point. I didn't look at it from that perspective. I was thinking more about a new rider or track day rider looking to get into the sport in BC. If there were two choices available to join: one WMRC or BCMRA I would probably pick the latter as it seems bigger with more opportunities.

2. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

Right on Edward! You get it.
    We need to attract more racers, contingency programs and sponsors both within and outside the motorcycle community. BCMRA is far more appealing to sponsors as it sounds bigger, more grandiose and is more recognizable to a wider audience.
    We racers risk our lives in this sport that we absolutely adore and I personally think it would be so great to be competing in a championship that sounds like it encompasses the entire province of BC.

There has also been talk about bringing back a championship between Alberta and BC. It used to be called WCC (Western Canadian Championship) but I think it would be better as the WCMRC (Western Canadian Motorcycle Racing Championship).
    Alberta is in the process of getting a new racetrack, we have 2 new racetracks were we will be racing at in the future! Before all the naysayers post something, I remember when the management at Greg Moore Raceway said that motorcycles will never be allowed there.

3. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Yeah, I certainly don't want to sound negative Spero. The only point I was making was that if the club had been more secure last year we could have been in a completely different position with a clear mechanism (and dates) to run at A27. That's why I think it's important for us to consider the larger picture when we talk about the club finances and the work that the exec puts in. We could be planning our first WCMRC events and inviting racers from Alberta and Washington to come out, and you'd know that lots of people that would never race at Mission would be lining up on the grid. Unfortunately the timing didn't work out and there are no more corporate memberships available at A27 so when we race there it is going to be as either a guest of the track or a guest of another corporate member. While that is a great and wonderful thing, it is a very different situation for the club compared to being an invested member of the track corporation itself.

ctardi, Dean Thompson and *Jay* like this.
  4. andre331

andre331 New Member

Jay i didn't intend to hurt any feelings with my comments, I appreciate all the work the exec is doing but how much money in the bank is going to be enough before we drop pricing for race fees? i think cost of racing is one of the reasons that the number of racers has dropped in the last few years. And I don't hate track days but when the club had to take over providing race school and track days it was supposed to provide revenue for the club to offset race costs but it seems that the money is going into the bank instead. I know its a rainy day fund and i fully support having a decent amount in there but like Andrew said one year of bad weather could wipe it out. So lets start now. I propose to start having a 70/ 30 split between racing and track days instead of 50/50 like last year, enough track days to support racing will allow race prices to drop and hopefully attract more racers.

5. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I have a suggestion that I would like to get you feedback on. We all know that the number of days offered to the WMRC to race at Mission is minimal and not exactly desirable dates anyway. I would propose that we have at least one round at another track, lets say Edmonton for conversation. the track day / race day ratio at mission is not likely to change, so this will give us more race days during the better part of the season. Maybe it even increases our feel as a club to travel to another venue? More racing days than track days, more tracks to do said racing, win win right? Maybe the club can use some money to offset travel costs? Just throwing ideas out there.