Who rides with gp shift?

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by brianp, Mar 16, 2010.

1. brianp

brianp New Member

And if you do have you ever had a transmission problems after a low side ?

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Never had a problem after a crash, the crash would affect the shifter the same either way.

3. brianp

brianp New Member

That's what I would have thought but random forums gave me doubts.

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

IIRC, the way the shift knuckle sits on the SV650 (first gen) running GP shift leaves the knuckle and as a result, shift selector shaft more vulnerable in a crash.

5. Simon

Simon New Member

The question should be, who DOESN'T run GP shift, :p

Seriously though, apart from Ryan's issues with his SV650, I've never heard of a crash doing anymore damage to the shifting mechanism if GP or normal.

What bike and what happened?

6. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

'Lowside'? What is this 'Lowside' you speak of? I only highside...........

Let the flaming begin................

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  7. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

meh I don't. After all these years, I'd be scared that i'd forget at some point and go the wrong way at the wrong time.

8. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Um, me.:eek: Although I really should switch to GP this year, as I don't even have a street bike anymore and most of my riding for the foreseeable future will be on the track anyway.

9. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I was all completely GP shift on race and street. Then I got into super moto as well and started to ride a DRZ on the street, and you cannot change those to GP, so everything went back to regular. I miss less shifts with GP, but running regular again, and now I know the value of really adjusting your shift lever correctly.

10. urquhart

urquhart New Member

I switched both bikes to Gp for last season. Found it strange on the street but completely natural on the track.

It is pretty cool when someone wants to take your bike for a try you ask if they can use 'GP Shift'... my ride stays still :)

11. tt600

tt600 New Member

who's calling who crash now bernie......

12. Bernie32

:D I took the advanced course.

13. brianp

brianp New Member

Just tossing the idea around for my SV. It's a quick mod on the SV but the SV forums claimed transmission problems and broken engine cases.

14. Ryan Whittle

I leave it as normal - it was good enough for Mladin...Also, my big uncoordinated feet can't seem to get downshifting quite right no GP going into T1

15. Simon

Simon New Member

Are you comparing yourself to Mladin? :eek:

Didn't he had a foot injury or something, that's why he had to use regular shift. After swapping to GP shift, I stopped hitting false neutrals going from 1st to 2nd.

16. Rob New

Rob New oh fork

Did you re-use any parts? I've worried that I wrecked the transmission a few times after a get off but it's always turned out to be the linkage binding on something or the pedal not moving freely. Check to make sure everything is moving properly before going further. You can even throw everything up on a stand and try moving the input shaft with all the linkages disconnected to see if it's working at that point.

17. Ryan Whittle

Just saying that GP shift isn't the be all and end all. I don't hit false neutrals, but then again I didn't build my own motor...:D

18. Bernie32

AHHHHHH, an SV. Yes, for Mission I had GP shift on my SV reason being it was the only way I could grab a higher gear in Turn 2 and Turn 9. I never crashed that bike.

19. Simon

Simon New Member

That's because you weren't going fast enough, :jerkoff: :D

20. Rick

Rick Old Guy

There is an issue with GP shift on the SV650. When you flip the lever on the trans shifter shaft to get the bike to GP shift it puts the linkage and therefor shifter shaft into harms way.

In stock configuration, the lever on the shifter is pointing straight up and out of harms way, but when you flip it upside down it hangs below the engine a bit and can come in contact with the ground in some situations, bending the shaft.

The solution is to put a small delrin slider on the lower engine bolt right beside the shift shaft. I've used this technic for years with no issues. I also hacksaw a 1/4 way through the lever as well so if it does come in contact with the ground it will snap hopefully before damaging the shifter shaft.

My recommendation, if you like rebuilding tranys then stay with regular shift, otherwise go with GP shift. After a while it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. And no I don't run my street bike GP shift, nor my dirt bike. Just my race bikes.

Rick