Who knows about reinstalling clutch cover?

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Family Guy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy Family Guy

First time for me installing a new clutch case cover gasket - 03 zx6. I put everything back together I assume properly as it is pretty fool proof. When it is up on the stand it really shifts hard specially going N to 1st . I have slipper clutch in there as well if that matters. It shifted ok on the road test but man on the stand it was a different story...that goes for almost every gear.
    So my question...You know where the clutch cable enters into the cover and it goes to the bottom and kind of catches a horizontaL peg coming out of the clutch -is there a way that the bottom of the clutch cable lines up with the horizontal peg coming out from the middle of the clutch or should it all connect properly when you go to shift for the frirst time?

2. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

You lost me on the last part with the peg and the horizontal and the middle thing, but I can tell you that a road bike will shift differently if your riding it or hop on while on the stand and try to flick through the gears with the engine off. Try ridding test or turn the rear wheel by hand (As if riding) while it's on the stand and shift the lever by hand. Did you put in the slipper clutch when you changed the cover?

3. JasonG

JasonG New Member

OP-- im assuming you never pulled the release shaft lever out of the cover, when you pulled the cover off. And Im assuming you never touched the clutch area, and mentioning the 'slipper clutch' because its stock and you have one of the RR models.
    This should be correct,
    -when you go to install the cover up to the motor, the release shaft lever needs to be turned towards the rear of the bike roughly 50-90 degrees from the position it normally sits ; like when you threw the bike on the rear stand to begin the work.
    -then, once the cover is bolted (minus the cable bracket bolts; if it applies to ur model) in place move the lever forward so now its perpendicular to the cover, it should now be in place,
    -now secure the cable bracket/ 2 bolts..
    -check and adjust clutch slack..

While on the rear stand, you should easily be able to click into 1st from N, with spinning the rear wheel.
    It should go back into N no problem.
    But , it should be nearly impossible with moderate pressure to go from N to 2nd, or 1st to 2nd..

Kawasaki's I know forsure have something called , i believe.. 'positive neutral finder'..

made so its easy to find neautral from 1st..so ur not bouncing back and forth 20 times from 1st to 2nd..you can stomp on the shifter from 1st, and all you get is neutral..at a stand still...

4. Family Guy

Family Guy Family Guy

I did remove the whole thing out of the cover..I understand somewhat what you meant but its hard to picture...Can i just release the two clutch cable bolts and position it or do i have to take of the whole cover again? I tried to find a picture or manual but no luck...how bout this - the road test proved that i could indeed shift gears whether i installed it wrong or not....do you think its safe to race this weekend and have it looked at next week when there is more time or when i find qualified help?

5. JasonG

JasonG New Member

It was OK, on road test, so i'd say ur totally fine with the clutch.

If you are having a hard time going from neutral to first, while bike is on the bench, rear wheel spun, then it may very well be in the transmission/shift forks/linkage area.

If your at the track. ask around in the morning, should be OK...then just grid up and keep it pinned right back to the stops.

6. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

Anything that moves to actuate gets it's best movement at 90 degrees. Shifter, clutch cable, etc.

7. Family Guy

Family Guy Family Guy

N to 1st does go okay with when spinning the tire jup on the stand,but...it also is easy N to 2nd - which I think Jason you said should be hard, but even with slipper clutch - not sure
    I'll have a go tomorrow at the track and see how it goes....One more scenario...engine running, off the stands...it takes like 5-10 times to find N - really sensitive - its either hard 1st or hard 2nd when i try to find N.....I hate being new - I could figure this shit out easy then!...if your around this weekend maybe come find me - green kawi - #747 and maybe face to face help may be better to explain things - Ciao

8. JasonG

JasonG New Member

Im not racing this weekend, cause of a smashed up left foot, but i do plan to be there on Sunday watch, ill come find you. Hopefully, by then, someone will have helped you out.

9. TommyO

TommyO Daytonut

I can help!........

Buy a Triumph!......

Does that help?!.....:):D:p;)