Where to buy leathers?

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by seandcontracting, Nov 11, 2014.

1. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Sorry for all the questions lol. I'm going to upgrade from my usual two piece leathers setup to a single suit for racing. I'd like info about reasonable products you gents have used, and anyone local (or van island local!) to purchase from. Would like to buy from here opposed to online. I'm tall but fairly standard layout so to speak so an off the shelf suit would likely be ok.

2. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

This place is around the corner from my house in east van, I went in looking for a textile jacket last summer and they had 6 or 8 one piece suits on consignment and apparently have new stock coming in all the time. Lots of fringe jackets and ass-less chaps if that's your thing too :devil:. If you were going to be in town it might be worth checking out.

http://rerides.ca/

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

The new Joe Rocket leathers have drastically come down in price, however, they also tend to split at the seams during crashes. This is good as they do their job, and bad as they need repair after.
    Always buy the best you can afford, but fit and comfort are the main drivers in this.

Tap-moto is a good local brand from an ex-WMRC racer. A few shops in the GVRD carry his line.

I like Alpine Stars leathers, but only the top of the line ones. The trackday suits are okay, but just don't cut it for racing.
    I really love Dianese (expensive), and Spidi (Also expensive). My Spidi suit has held up to many many crashes.

If you can find Vanson leathers that fit, they are made very well and crash excellent. I've never met a person who is unhappy with Vanson Leathers. Burnaby Kawasaki used to carry them.

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

What size are you? I have a used set of Komodo leathers that need the zipper replaced. I know it can get pricey getting in to racing, you are welcome to have them.

I'm 6ft, 230. When I wore that suit I was a size 48 suit. Legs and arms were shortened a bit, I have a 31" inseam and wear a 17 34/35 shirt.

I'll be on the island (Qualicum) on November 22 probably for close to a week. I can pack them along if you want.

5. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Mr. Whittle, I salute you. It's really nice to see a member of our club trying to help out a fellow racer. Welcome to the WMRC Sean!

6. Ryan Whittle

Thanks George. Just trying to "pay it forward". I've had a lot of help from a lot of different members over the years. Out of respect to them, it would only be right to try and help out someone else.

7. tt600

tt600 New Member

i posted a fine Tap-moto suit u can have also size 46 im 6'2" 190.swing by and pickup.

8. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Ryan, I'm 6'3" 205lbs. 40 tall suit size. Great offer my friend but I'm likely undersized. I run a 42 joe rocket jacket and it's about right.

9. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

I think we need to add a like button to our forum page!

10. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I applaud the generous offers from our members here. I don't know how this will be received but...

I have Joe Rocket Speedmaster 1 piece suits on sale for $490, size 38 - 48.

11. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

Funny that you say that Jay because I also have these on sale for $479 (and I've been meaning to post this for 2 days ,you forced my hand ,lol). In your size there is a black 42 and a red/white black.

12. Ryan Whittle

All in????

13. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

and now we need an unlike button. To the vendors section with you all!

14. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Just wanted to throw it out there Tony, and anticipated some kind of backlash. Probably should have mentioned that I also have Knox AEGIS CE level 2 back protectors on sale for only $99 to wmrc members as well :devil:

Mods feel free to remove my comments from this thread, if they don't belong here.

15. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

It's all good Jay, I get it, fill your boots. Until I looked just now I didn't know that you need to be a paying sponsor to post in the vendors section.

16. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Thanks Jay.... knowing about good deals for members is always appreciated!

17. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

As the original poster was specifically asking where to buy leathers, I think that Jay's post was on topic. As long as things are relevant, I don't see any problem with any vendor/member (and Jay is both) trying to help people out. I'd draw the line at starting threads outside the vendors section to advertise sales.

18. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

If I'm running a size 42 set of leathers, how do they size for length? I'm 6'3" and curious if the aforementioned joe rocket suit is workable for me.

19. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

Depends on if you value your junk or not. If you don't want it pushed into your lower intestine I would go a size or two bigger......just sayin!

20. Sand.Man

Sand.Man Republic Racing

If you're 6'3 205# you'll need at least a 46 I'm almost positive.

I'm 6'2 and have been anywhere from 185 - 210 and the 46 is perfect at 185-195 and on the tight/too small side above 200#