weekend membership

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by tt600, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

I don't feel sad at all that you feel that way.

2. tt600

tt600 New Member

didn't mean to stir up a bunch of shit....lol.i do like facts and the truth....whether it be our opinions or persepective ken....your right,don't like it....go somewhere else.i would rather support my home track,yet won't support anything that i don't believe in.i'm not the only one that propabaly feels this has become a matter of principal.

3. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Lou and Jay, you are more than entitled to your opinion. Both of your comments seem to be directed more at the leadership of the club rather than the club itself.

There is an AGM every November, if you are unhappy with the direction of the club I would suggest running for one of the executive positions or nominating someone you do have confidence in.

4. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Lol. Jay for prez!

5. Ryan Whittle

Why not? Joseph before me was a school teacher, I'm an accountant, Dean's an IT guy and Scotty is scotty.

All it takes is time and the willingness to do what you think is right.

You can always do Vice Prez, or Secretary, or Promotions or Treasurer. If you don't feel your voice is being heard, make it heard.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

I sure wish I had the time and vision. At the moment I am not sure I have either.

But getting the meetings broadcast online is the first step here a far as I can see.

At least I will always be reigning am champion....

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

Please let us know when you are ready to do the first broadcast. I'd love to sit at home and take part rather than pay to cross a toll bridge.

8. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I will *not* do the work to broadcast a meeting, but I'll certainly advise as to how it can be done.

1) find a product to stream. We could use uStream, but that's going to pepper the broadcast with ads. It also won't really allow questions, but will be more a read-only thing. So you will not have input to the broadcast. Better would be to use a service like Webex or gotomeeting. Webex will cost $50/month for up to 25 remote attendees. Gotomeeting is the same price. If we want greater than 25 people, then we move to the Webinar product space, which is $100/mo. Basic free accounts allow up to 3 people.
    2) Choose another venue, or equip the speakers with microphones. If you've been to our live meetings, you know that a bunch of people speak. In a webinar/meeting environment online, we'd need a *really* sensitive mic to be able to have the other people hear it.
    3) have someone with a laptop and rocket stick, or find somewhere with *RELIABLE* free WiFi. Almost all of the free WiFi locations that I've scouted are great for downloads, but we are streaming UP. A Rocket Stick is about $50/mo, and that's not really unlimited either. Each meeting should be close to 500+mb upload, and could be closer to 1gb upload if we include video.
    4) have someone donate a laptop or always bring it for use for the club.
    5) have another person monitor the online meeting for questions typed in, and then moderate those questions, repeating the question out-loud for the room to hear, and for the online recipients to hear as well.

When my company does webinars, it takes usually 3 people. 2 monitoring the questions, etc and 1 primary speaker.

So right now, I'm seeing real costs associated with this, and I think the biggest challenge is going to be for people to actually HEAR what the speakers are saying. Even in our current venues, there is always background noise that we naturally filter, but which a mic is going to pick up, etc. On top of real costs, there is a labor component that needs to be addressed. The current exec has a lot of tasks to do, and adding more isn't going to cut it. We need at least 2 volunteers to make this happen. I'm not one of them. Again, I'll advise, but I've already put in a boatload of work into this club, and do not wish to increase the workload anymore. As it sits, I'm past president advising to the current exec, running the forums, running the website, and dealing with the social media (facebook, twitter, etc). I donate the servers to run this site, my expertise to keep it running, backed up, and updated, as well as beg Meighan for her design expertise to provide the club with a new website look and feel. If you want this streaming thing, someone has to step up that is not already doing something.

easy peasy right? It's going to take money and effort, but I do think it's a great idea, and will place us ahead of other clubs by leaps and bounds.

9. kingston

kingston New Member

Warning; there are birds of prey in our midst, i did some research and these birds tend to be depressed and want draw others to there state. Strangely enough this spieces is named lujay's . I talked to Big Bird and he said DO NOT engage, just pray for them.

10. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

I can't see how you can argue that a BC resident shouldn't need a WMRC license to race with the club. Seems fair and reasonable to me and the club needs the dough.
    I'd also suggest that a weekend membership couldn't hurt anything. For this year price it at 1/3 the cost of a seasons license. Reasonable and save a buck or 2 for someone who only wants to or can run only one weekend, but more expensive if you try to do it over 2 or 3 of the clubs 4 weekends. Might actually increase ridership, who knows.
    With only 35 or 40 racers licensed last year pretty hard to sell it as keeping your number, there's a few to go around.
    my $.02 for what it's worth

11. Ryan Whittle

Just going by memory, I thought there was a discounted rate for racers outside of the lower mainland to recognize the additional cost of travel to get to Mission, but I could be mistaken.

12. jcathie

jcathie Member

Good points, all, but it must be remembered that a lot of people just didn't like the event schedule we got last year and took a pass on it. I wholeheartedly agree that residents should first support their local racing organization.

If they've got their knickers in a twist over something, then it's time to step up and do something to change it from within. If they want to vote with their wallets then I wish them Godspeed and hope they enjoy the nice long drive to greener pastures. I'm really getting tired of people expecting this CLUB to be a SERVICE TO THEM and at their beck and call over any perceived (or real) grievance.

I do like WMRRA's idea of charging to reserve numbers for out of state racers. It might be reasonable for us to embrace that as well.

13. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

That's funny. Beware the LuJay.

John: strong point, and I hear what you are saying. But please understand that the club is much more to you than to me, mostly because I am not likely able to make meetings, and thus have no idea why the club makes the decisions it does, while you on the other hand have been with the club from the start, and probably make many of those decisions. My perception is that they are arbitrarily made by a very few for the most part. I know I am not the only person with that perception. If I don't understand why the club does something, why should I get invested in the club? I invested in the club last year, and had no clue why it made some of the moves it did. The changed date comes to mind.

To be honest, what I am looking for is more a fee for service experience than a club one. I expect if you poll most of the guys who can afford to race late model bikes, you will find that time is the asset they are short of, not money. It probably used to be the other way around back in the day. But if there was a way I could attend meetings without a 2 hour drive added to them, I would. Hence my comments about virtual meetings. It is an if, not when thing, but it may be too soon, I don't know.

Dean: I just saw Hien's post and assumed it was not that difficult. One comment I have: Vancity offers board rooms that are equipped with all sorts of stuff for various community groups. They also have a mandate to support clubs like the WMRC. The one near my mom's just got renno'ed, and I got a walk through. Seems to me she mentioned something about teleconference gear I could use for my business (which banks there). But if not Vancity, perhaps some other venue that is miked up already would donate the club access.

For the record, I do think that you can't do the weekend licence. I know that many would not buy an annual, and would just pick dry weekends and pay for a weekend licence... unless the weekend thing is for out of towners only.

14. Rick

Rick Old Guy

We do the same thing but we call ours an associate membership.

$150 wmrc license + $30 wmmra out of state license(or number reg) = $180. OR $175 for just a wmmra license.

That is how I've always done it. Back when we didn't have Mission raceway we still bought WMRC licenses and went racing at WMRRA. Support your local club and enjoy the great tracks in washington as well.

15. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Jay, thanks for the information about the bank! We could look into that. I had no idea they would open their facility like that.

16. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Yes, it is a community initiative by Vancity. They are renovating some branches with multiple purpose rooms for their clients. The branch in Poco is recently completed, has a lounge, small meeting room, and large conference room. Was pretty awesome, I though of the WMRC right away.

They also have a small kiosk that member businesses/organizations can use to promote their trade/hobby, right in the middle of the bank. Taylor made for WMRC's promotion, perhaps. I think that Vancity bankers among your membership could book it, and put a little shrine to the WMRC there for a week at a time, at perhaps several locations through the lower mainland. I would be inclined to book this space now for the week before your first round. Promotions people can look into it if they feel it would have traction.

17. tt600

tt600 New Member

wow!! I am surprised at your comment Randy...I thought you were bigger than that. I didn't know I was trying to bring anyone down with me??? I am certainly not depressed nor trying to cause a bunch of undo stress. As far as the race license goes - whatever. Am I unhappy that I feel the "family feeling" has been taken out of the club - Yes. I am not happy with things that have happened recently and it seems that unless you are part of the "clique" you don't get answers or just get blown off and made fun of. I don't mind change and most of the changes really didn't affect me but the approach that has been taken could really have been better. Would I have stood up for the exec...sure...would I have been voted in... probably not because I am not part of the "clique". Why is it we never hear from Scott?? i could make this all about me and my own agenda....but its not.this was not meant to stir a whole bunch of shit yet again....i understand now why alot of past racers who are racing elsewhere,don't race with us anymore.....alot of there reasons are a matter of prinicple.yet,i continue to try and get past it....and yet here we are again.i could go on and on about reasons,but i don't want to offend anyone or single anyone out.i haven't been around racing for 10 or more years,but i have been CONSISTENTLY supported this club for the past 5 yrs.trying to help where i could,etc.

18. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Prolly would have been no drama if the executive could have answered your question... like maybe a week after you asked it?

For what its worth, Lu, don't be bothered by Randy: he is obviously dominated by fear. Usually those who can't bear to hear others speak differing opinions are.

And I don't think you stirred up the shit: you asked one question. Crazy that the exec can't see that letting questions they are afraid to answer linger on the forum is way worse than just saying something like: great question! We hear you. Fodder for the next meeting, added to the agenda.

My 0.02.

19. kingston

kingston New Member

Jay and Lu, you are two guys i talk to at the track and count you as friends. I just don't agree with you guys slamming the exec. or the club. I've talked to all the exec. and attended many meetings, and from what i see, these guys are just racers like us, that just want to volunteer a lot of there time to help make the club run good for all the members. I know we are all not going to agree on the way things are done, but these are all guys of integrity and deserve respect and our thanks.

And Jay i got a chuckle from your fear comment. Any one who knows me well, knows the only thing i fear is a healthy fear of God, and in that i apologize for the personal dig, but hoped you would see the humor in it.

Can we just all get back on the track and leave all this squawking to the women! oops.

20. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

My girlfriend read our comments and said... what a bunch of women... LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.