weekend membership

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by tt600, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tt600

tt600 New Member

i'll try this one more time.....i've asked a few times now regarding weekend membership.scott metioned it would be discussed in the last meeting....?????

2. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

Lou I will call Jason and ask him. However just like WWMRA,OMMRA it you want a secure race number from the WMRC you need a full membership.Last year we charged Kramer full membership price for one race.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Probably not the best way to get old club members to come back. If I was Mark, I would have said something rude and left.

4. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

Obviously you do not know Mark. I do and he has alway supported his local racing club.BTW he was HAPPY to pay. He knows that there are cost that have to be covered by the membership fee.

5. Jerry

Jerry New Member

I completely agree - with both you and Mark.

6. tt600

tt600 New Member

not quite sure what your agreeing with jerry.....from my understanding,if i want to go race with wmrra or omrra i pay a weekend member fee plus cost of class and race.so,what your saying is my membership fee covers my number?just looking at the options here mr.lalonde.

7. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

All you need to race with wmrra,omrra is a WMRC licence. But if you want to pick your own race number, then you need to buy a licence from both.That is why I used 414 at both tracks.It was picked at omrra and was available at wmrra. No extra fee's at either track and no weekend licence needed.

8. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

How does WMRC treat aWMRRA license? They recognize it I believe... If they had weekend licenses many would not buy a club membership..

9. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

We accept AFM,OMMRA,WMMRA,AMA,FIM without them needing to buy a weekend membership. But if you live within the lower mainland and you have bought a license from another club you will still need a WMRC licence too. All clubs need there local racer's to support the racing in their area.

10. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

LOL... then I won't be supporting WMRC with my race fees either! Good call. Is this in the rules, or some arbitrary invention at the spur of the moment?

WMRC: turning local racers into ex local racers since 2013... with some pretty hare brained rules/practices.

Edit: As far as I can see, I am an associate member (or soon will be):

1. Associate Members are such persons who are Members in good standing of another recognized racing organization such as CMRA, EMRA, O.M.R.R.A. and W.M.R.R.A. who have been so approved.
    2. There will be no limit to the number of Associate Members.
    3. The Associate Members will have the use of the racing facility that is open to the Club on all Racing and Practice days upon payment of required fees and will be eligible to accrue points in those races.
    4. Associate Members will not be eligible to vote or hold office.

There is no mention of a requirement to not live in the Lower Mainland to be an associate member I have found.

Is the club now rule driven or ego driven? Looking pretty arbitrary from this side of the fence. Like as in you just made up a rule, on the spot.

... or is that not the case? LOL.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  11. tt600

tt600 New Member

thank you jay......i was just going to post pretty much the same thing.

12. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

If you do not want support your local club that your call. It has been this way sense I started racing in 1984. If everyone bought there licence somewhere else ,there would be no WMRC. It the same for ALL RACING CLUBS.

13. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

1. It is not in the rules.
    2. Someone from the lower mainland who held a licence from WMRRA and did a round at Mission is likely to post up soon about if this is really how it is for everyone... I bet not.
    3. All it does is take money from the club, for though I have decided to do most of my racing in the US this year, I would likely have shown up for one or two rounds... and spent, what, $350 in fees, another $200 in parts/consumables from track vendors, and perhaps another $450 in tires from a track vendor. Add me and Lu, say two rounds, and that is $1400 in race fees the club just said no to (no way in hell am I buying another race licence), and the same again in sales the trackside vendors don't/won't see.

I can see making a rule if a person decided to buy a WMRRA membership but do all their racing up here... but even then it would be a foolish rule. Not many people would be that vindictive... best just to shut up and take their race fees!

... but then common sense ain't all that common, now, is it?

14. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

People like Gary Goodfollow, Steve Crevier, Steve Dick and Tom Walter all bought WMRC licences even thought they already had AMA/FIM/RACE licences.They supported their home track. Tell us why you would buy a licence somewhere else when they accept our? I raced 4rounds with WMMRA and there is no one from the lower mainland that held there licence only and raced up here.

Section 1.2 of our rule book states:

1.2 All B.C. residents who enter in club events must hold a current, valid WMRC racing license. Out of Province entrants who hold a FIM, RACE, CMRA, EMRA, OMRRA or WMRRA Racing License will also be accepted if the entrant purchases a WMRC Associate membership.

So, we state that *ALL* BC residents must hold a valid WMRC license to race. If you are from out of town, we require an associate membership. The WMRC waives this for WCC dates from the EMRA and CMRA.

15. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

You're talking about top National level factory racers from the 1980's/90's. :confused:

16. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

I didn't want to support this executive!

That is basically the short of it, what it boiled down to for me. Ken, I wrote a longer reply that covered some of the bad blood of last season that I felt during my battles with a team mate of the executive, some of the cash that I spent on the WMRC when they did race date changes that cost me literally thousands so I could be there and race, and how ridiculous I thought some of the ways that what amounts to a very radical set of rule changes are being implemented currently. I don't like my time or money being needlessly squandered. I don't like old boys clubs. I guess I realized I don't really like the WMRC leadership, and by extension the club! Edit: by "like" I mean "agree with"

Anyway, I deleted the longer response that got into specifics. I will say that I thought Dean was an excellent President, very diplomatic, and Nicola also did a pretty good job when I had to deal with him as a rider rep. It's a tough job! I wish Scott luck. Does he ever post? LOL...

Though I would be happy to race with you guys once in a while, cause personally, most of you are nice enough people, save a few. I just loved the way I was treated at the one WMRRA race I tried to (and failed) to start. Not so much EMRA, but hey, I am not a member...

I don't "support" local racing. I am a local racer. I support the Gates Foundation with an amount equivalent to one percent of my gross sales.

I guess that I see myself as a customer. Like most customers, I vote with my feet.

And hey, I guess it is in the rules! Sorry, I searched the PDF but did not see those sections. Dumb rule, as I won't be buying a WMRC licence to race for a couple of weekends. Already did that last year to race for four days. So my wallet won't come to Mission on those days. How that helps the club adapt to changing times, frankly, I can not see.

17. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

Our rules for 2013 are now in line with wmmra and omrra so you racing there because you don't like our rule changes makes no sense. It is your dime so have fun!WMMRA put's on a good show.However I was born in Canada and will always make racing locally my first choice. Sorry about you loosing money because of the date change. And for you Mr Thompson Brett McCormick in 2006 is that recent enough for you?

18. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

I supported the rule change to merge am and int. I don't really get this new "crazy superbike" class, but no matter. I just think when you change the game so radically, you need to take steps to reduce the amount of impact it has on people.

It actually didn't have that much impact on me, as I was going to expert anyway, but it irked me that I had to change number color for what still feels like no reason whatever, and that I had to toss a helmet for, what, a 5% safer one? When all the offending helmets would be gone naturally in a few years anyway, without the addition of a new rule.

But after last year, I really wrestled with the club's value. I decided in the end that I would give WMRC another year... but the style of how things are getting done with respect to implementing this new set of rules feels too... strong arm, old boy. So I am out.

I am in this game to have fun, not hassle. Certainly not to support Canadian racing. I could give a fuck if I was the only Canuck who ever rode a bike! I am the least patriotic person out there, generally. Just not an ideologue, sorry.

When the vintage guys run the club, I'll politely ask to come back. I think they support the kind of "fun first, finish last" kind of racing I would like to do in the future.

19. Jerry

Jerry New Member

I was referring to Mark's support for the club.

20. Jerry

Jerry New Member

That saddens me - I feel exactly the opposite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.