Transponders

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Georgie G, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

I will also be having transponders available for rent at the track.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Paulchen

Paulchen New Member

Get it Thanks for all information - I will get on it.(btw I already pass on to some 4 newbie racer like myself so they know they have to get new transponder)
    Marbod & Blair its good to know there will be (more)enough to go around, Won't want to ruin new racer's day when there are not enough transponder to rent ...

3. jcathie

jcathie Member

You can lease them from AMB as well.

4. Steve M

Steve M New Member

I was looking at the Mylaps website, seems you can view your times there if you setup an account.
    Will the race officials be uploading the timing data to the mylaps.com server as the race day procedes?
    This would allow you to view your times via smart phone instead of having to wait for the paper time sheets to be posted.
    Or maybe I'm missing something.

5. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Hi Steve there was talk of this during the last meeting. The system has the capability of of uploading instant results via mylaps server but we are looking into a wireless internet connection for this system to be live at the track. I anticipate no problems in doing this and am confident it will be dealt as we approach or first race days.

6. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I have a question based on the responses so far. Two vendors will have limited number of amb transponders available to rent, wmrc will have none to rent and racers are free to rent their amb at any time so...IFmspeed or svracingparts does not have enough transponders available on raceday, can one amb transponder be used by multiple racers on the same day? For example: Jay Tait races in 600 and superbike, can his transponder be used on the same day (rented) to a 250 gold cup racer?

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

Yes, but if we use MyLaps for posting results, the 250 racer's results will be under Jay's MyLaps account (and name), not the 250 racer's.

8. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

My recommendation is that we will not be using MyLaps at all, but rather the Tag Heuer timing system that is used by WMRRA, OMMRA, AMA, WERA, CMRA, EMRA, etc. This system posts results, offers live timing, etc. Swapping transponders will not be an easy option and will make a LOT of work for race day staff. We are moving to a new system to make this easier and not harder. Swapping transponders is not allowed at the other clubs, so I would recommend against it.

9. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Fair enough, I was just thinking that we may have riders attending WMRC events for Scott's GOLD CUP dates only. I was wondering how we can accommodate for them if rental transponders are not available, and they had not yet purchased a $500 timing devise for the 3 race days. I am under the impression that a few retired pros may make an appearance for one of the weekends, and be renting bikes/transponders.

10. Dean

While untested as of yet, the 250s due to speeds may be able to get away with using the TX160 transponders, which are the kart based ones. If it does work, we have access to a source for those for an increased rental pool. We theorize the TX160 will work for the 250s because of the speeds they do over the front straight. Faster bikes cross the line too fast to pick up with the weaker transponder, but a 250 is right on the edge. We will have to test to make sure.

11. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

I'm confused. I understood the AMB system did what we needed, what exactly did we buy and what more do we need?

12. Dean

The AMB decoder and transponders is what we needed. That is the system. The software we are going to use is the same software used by all the other clubs. The software is on-top of the system. It's still the AMB system, we are just opting out of MyLaps, which is an additional cost to the racers and club.

13. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Whats an additional cost, the mylaps or the tag heuer? And how much?

14. Dean

mylaps software is $3500, live timing is an additional cost (even the car club doesn't use it because of cost), plus we have to purchase new computer hardware to run it. MyLaps app costs $1 per user to use it.

tag heuer is $700 one-time cost, They provide the hardware (laptop) and 3% of entry cost per event. There are one-time payment options as well, but we'd have to operate for 10+ years to recoupe those costs, and still pay a yearly support fee. The perpetual fee is easier on the club financially, and includes the yearly support.

15. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood WMRC President

do we not already have software to run the timing system?
    to be honest at this point in time I have no interest in any extra bells and whistles.. ie live timing, I have a lap timer.. I don't care what other clubs are using. for me it comes down to what is the cheapest option for the club.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  16. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Just want to say thanks for all the info Dean and I'm sure you and the exec are doing the best to make this the most economically feasible option for the club.

17. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Can't say I'm a big fan of paying 3% of entries on a perpetual basis for the Tag system. I would rather go with a one time payment of $3,500 which IIRC is about 10 race days worth of revenue, give or take.

18. Steve M

Steve M New Member

If we just want basic times, laps, and speed posted, we can use free sowftware. Then either print and post the results, or upload to a simple web site ( we could make the web site). Racers could use thier smart phones to view the data on the web site.
    I was researching the AMB decoder and it outputs basic info that can be parsed and displayed. I will volunteer to write basic software to display the data coming from the decoder if need be.
    I'm willing to test the idea before the club purchaces any software.

19. jcathie

jcathie Member

RMonitor has been out for years and up until last year was a great free way to display live timing data on a PC. Unfortunately something, somewhere recently broke RMonitor in a fairly minor way. There is also a good, cheap mobile app called Race Monitor. It works very well but all this requires either Wi-Fi infrastructure, which we do have in a limited capacity, or everyone needs to burn up their data capacity on their phones and the club would need a 'live' Internet connection.

20. Dean

You have to think big picture. Up until now, I've been donating my time, bandwidth, backups, equipment, etc to keep this stuff running. It's getting old and more expensive on my part to keep all this running. By moving to the cloud, on a modern system, you get frequent updates, better support, etc.

With the MyLaps system, the Software alone is $3500. Then you need a laptop/system to run it ($600), have to choose a pre-registration system that will work, etc. To use the current system, you will require coldfusion hosting on a windows based server, or choose some other type of event control software. Most charge if you want to use the most wanted/useful features.

Ryan, you've registered using the EMRA system. That's trackintel. If you've registered for OMRRA or WMRRA in the last 2 years, that's trackintel. If you registered for CMRA when Calgary still had a track, that's trackintel. The system works.

Even if you were to move to a VPS hosting cold fusion, that's going to be a monthly cost of about $40, before anyone runs it. You'll need backups, etc. Believe me, I understand that there is a cost involved, but for the last 8 years, I've been personally financing those costs and keeping them away from the club. I'm looking to reduce the equipment costs, effort level, power consumption, time, etc that this club has to bear. This stuff has been "free" to the club for a long time, and it needs to stop. I can't keep donating forever.

So again, this is not as simple as saying "I prefer the one-time costs". It goes much deeper than that.