Transponder Specification

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by jcathie, Feb 4, 2018.

1. jcathie

jcathie Member

Just a note to everyone that the 2018 Rule Book clearly specifies you must use the older (red) TranX260 Car/Bike transponder. This should also include the X2 Car/Bike transponder. Don't know if the Rule Book will be updated or if we'll just use a Supplementary Regulation to include the X2 transponder until the Rule Book is updated for 2019.

With the old timing system there was no real issue with using, maybe, a kart transponder (i.e. a yellow TranX160) or (*gasp*) an RC transponder.

That has all changed with our new X2 timing system. It has introduced what they call Sport Segmentation.

This means if a transponder is detected that is NOT specifically for our sport (Car/Bike), that transponder will be identified as Incompatible and WILL NOT BE SCORED.

There is no way for me to override this. On a positive note there's some features in the new system that are going to be reviewed and could have an impact on how our timing and scoring is presented.

2. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Thanks for the info. Slightly aside from this, will there be a way to watch lap times during the endurance race? IE by being live on Mylaps for racers?

3. jcathie

jcathie Member

I plan on having live timing for all events (including the endurance race) through MyLaps, Race Monitor and maybe Race Hero.

Last year I was running Race Monitor and MyLaps.

I've sent code to our overworked webmaster to embed live timing (from Race Monitor) and MyLaps results directly into our web site. Don't know if he's had time to look into the ramifications of it all.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. StreetHawk

StreetHawk New Member

Can you rent these transponders? I don't know how I missed that these are required.
    Regards

5. StreetHawk

StreetHawk New Member

And right after I asked that I see that there are a limited number available for rent...

6. jcathie

jcathie Member

There are a limited quantity available for rent on race days. There are also a couple/few available for private rental from individuals that may no be racing those days.

I've been told that last year only 3 were rented out on race days so it's improbable that you'll be caught out. If we do have a large influx of new racers, all that could change.

Odds are, you're probably pretty safe with the rental route until you decide to make a longer commitment. If you do a lot of race days it quickly becomes more economical to lease (1, 2 or 3 years) from MyLaps or purchase outright.