Trailer shelving ideas?

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Simon, May 29, 2010.

1. Simon

Simon New Member

I am going to strip out that pathetic excuse for an interior in my trailer and put up some 1/2 or 3/4 plywood, all they have now is paper thin wood and of course, it won't hold anything. I want to build some shelving that will also flip down and lay flat when not in use, any ideas? I have a few but curious what anyone has done.

2. Mess

Mess New Member

Hi Simon,
    I'm a general contractor and use a specialty plywood called Crezon a lot on my outside projects.

[​IMG]

It has a hard paper backing glued on to the finish side and was originally developed for the sign industry.
    It's the perfect plywood to re-do your trailer interior.Smooth,no slivers,looks great,takes paint really well and it's tough as nails.

Unfortunately you won't find it at Home Depot or Rona type stores.You have to go to a proper builders supply store Like Dick's or South Ridge building supplies (that's where i get my supply).It comes in 3/8, 1/2 and up.
    I personally wouldn't use anything more than 1/2 thick.
    Anything thicker than 1/2 will only increase your trailers weight and raise its center of gravity.

3. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

Trailer Shelving

:) Hi Simon, 3/8 for inside the trailer, it is thick enough to work with,

Check out the prices on the product described in the previous post. You will be happy if you intend to paint with a product that is intended to be finished,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
    Blair

4. Simon

Simon New Member

Thanks, I don't intend to paint, I have way too much on my plate.

The reason I wanted to go thick was so the shelves etc that I put up actually stay put, I actually meant 5/8 or 3/4.

What should I use, just simple wood screws to hold up the shelving?

One of my customers has his own construction company so I'll ask him to get me some on Monday.

I have a 7x12 enclosed, dual axle trailer so not to concerned about a bit more weight. :D

5. Mess

Mess New Member

Even if you are going to use 3/4 or 5/8 plywood I personally would make sure that at least some of the shelf support brackets are screwed through the plywood into the metal side ribs of the trailer.

The screws in the center of this picture
    [​IMG]

are the ones i used when i mounted the Crezon in my trailer.
    They are called Robertson Camtap Z Self Drilling Screws.

6. Simon

Simon New Member

Thanks again. I am using some of the supports now but they are not very close in spacing, :(

7. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Maybe Gary could weld you something for shelf brackets? He has a portable welder. Oops, sorry Gary, making work for ya..... :D

8. Simon

Simon New Member

Metal, too heavy, thanks though.

9. DavidMoore

DavidMoore Green To The Bone

Moduline

I know this is not build it yourself stuff but moduline has cabinets prebuilt for trailers of any size and they are made of aluminum. I have a whole set and they weigh less than 200lbs not including the tool box.

10. CJLF

CJLF New Member

11. Brent 96

Brent 96 going nowhere...quickly

Approx how much is a sheet of Crezon?