Trailer Advice

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Amir1, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Amir1

Amir1 New Member

Hi guys,

I'll be buying a trailer shortly and had some questions if you wouldn't mind answering.

What's the minimum size will I need for two bikes? 5x10 or 6x10 or 6x12?
    Also, would you guys recommend tandem axles with brakes? Is it worth the extra cost in terms of how it rides and ease of resale?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks
    Amir

2. ctardi

ctardi New Member

For size, 5x10 would be too tight for an enclosed trailer, you can fit two bikes, but there's no room to get in and tie them down. Ultimately the size depends on what all you want to put in it. I use a 5x10 with a v-nose, but I've just got 1 bike, my gear, and a few tools.

The need for brakes will greatly depend on the weight of trailer+payload, as well as your tow vehicle. The nicest things to tow are tandem axle with brakes, which you will usually get once you get up to about a 6x12.

If you don't have brakes, and the trailer starts to sway, just remember to nail the gas (if it's safe to do so). If you have brakes, hit only the trailer brakes.

I have a ford ranger, if I was buying again, I'd get a 6x12. The 5x10 is great for going around town, great for 1 bike, not great for much more. Remember to keep your max size to something that you're comfortable with. I'm very comfortable towing, and have no issues with a 9x40 through the tight streets of Vancouver, but if you aren't comfortable, you can get yourself into trouble with a 4x8.

3. Amir1

Amir1 New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I've got a Dodge Ram 3500 so will have no problem towing pretty well any size trailer.

It's just that I don't have much experience towing trailers for one, and I will have to park it on the street in a residential neighborhood so don't want to go too big. Finally, I'm not sure how much worse off for gas mileage the tandem axle one will be.

My options at this moment are:

6x10 Enclosed single axle without brakes for $2499
    6x12 Enclosed tandem axle with brakes for $3290

Your guys' take is appreciated.

Best
    Amir

4. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Amir, you should look into trailer parking on the street. In most municipalities, it's illegal to park a trailer on the street, unless it's hooked up to a vehicle. You cannot park it unhooked.

5. JAMR

JAMR W M R C 1983, 84, 85

Trailers parked un-hooked on the street disappear very quickly. Almost every time, be careful.