Track Walk August 1st, bring the kids!

Discussion in 'Events' started by Bernie, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

The WMRC and Midlife Crisis Racing once again bring you....

A lunchtime track walk around Mission Raceway, followed by an afternoon of motorcycle racing action.
    We have invited the kids from BC Children's Hospital and Big Brothers to join us for the day, and I will arrange some simple prizes for them.
    However, everyone is welcome to attend the track walk, and if I have anything extra, I'll hand out as many trinkets as I can.
    Thanks to the exec. for giving BCCH passes to get in.

Kids Day at the races :D

Thanks
    Bernie

p.s. I did a page on facebook. Hit 'attend', even if your not sure you'll be there, so we can get the word out and fill the stands.
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=223616151012714

p.p.s. there's also a thread in events on BCSb if you care to bump it and remind people about the races

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Ryan Welton

Ryan Welton No..the other Ryan

A big bump for this event! Tell your friends.

3. Bernie

I'm not sure how many kids they will bring out, but it's worth a try! Besides the kids from BCCH, I'm hoping others can see that it's soem good cheap entertainment for the kids ;-)
    I have t-shirts for the BCCH kids (with a few extras for you big kids), a few trinkets (still looking for more), and a few racers will hopefully let them sit on their bikes for pictures.
    Stickers stickers, who's got stickers!!!?
    We're doing a group ride from Pacific Riding School as well.
    What time does the first race start??

See ya Monday.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

First race will be around 10:30 - 10:45 give or take.

5. Bernie

One thing I could use for my track walk are the facts! What do the fastest guys run on the track....

Current lap record

Top speed on the straightaway
    Turn one speed
    1-2 top speed
    Turn 2 speed
    2-3 top speed
    Turn 3 speed
    3-4 top speed
    Turn 4 top speed
    Turn 5 top speed
    Turn 6 top speed
    6-7 top speed
    Turn 7 top speed
    7-8 top speed
    8 top speed
    9 top speed

Thanks
    Bernie

6. thumper 8

thumper 8 corner worker / photog

Bernie, I will let others answer the other questions, but Nancy had her radar gun at the track last year. I think she will be at the track on Monday and you may be able to check with her, but I think she clocked the fast guys in the 240- 245 k/ph range on the straight before braking for T1.

See you Monday!

7. Bernie

Thanks Tony. Spiro was kind enough to write all that down! The funny part is, at the bottom, there was a note... " I'm guessing, this is more difficult than it seems!" :D

8. Bernie

Okay, lots of thanks, hope I get it right!
    What a great day, and I have to tell you the kids were thrilled!

First of all, huge thanks to Pat from Midlife Crisis Racing/Vancouver BMW Ducati for all his help, tents and tables, etc. Couldn't do it that well without you Pat!
    And much appreciated those who are pitching in to pay for the t-shirts we gave the kids. They were well received!

Thanks too to Dean, Jayson, all the exec and WMRC fine folks who made it all too easy, and possible in the first place.
    Added thanks to Spiro, Steve O'Toole, Eddie and Dean for the fly-by, it was way beyond cool, they loved it ;-)

Thanks to everyone, I felt really good about what we did, what we accomplished, and how we represented racers and racing.

Thanks
    Bernie

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  9. Bernie

repost from a different forum, but someone might see it here....

I recieved an email a few days ago, from a parent of a child that participated in a track walk I did at Mission Raceway with the Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club this summer. I think it's good to remember how lucky we are to have our health, and of course motorcyles to enjoy that health with. It took a few minutes to get this little guy on the motorcycle as he hasn't much control over his limbs, but he was very determined. When I saw his big grin I sort of understood. I didn't know it was a dream come true. Simple things we forget.
    Special thanks to Patrick from Vancouver BMW Ducati, for without his help I wouldn't have pulled of this little project. Supply the bike was easy. Setting up tents for families late night the night before, running around getting drinks, and all the while trying to get his own race stuff ready for the day. Top notch Patrick, thanks so much. And Vancouver BMW Ducati also donated a few hundred buck on top of that so the kids could get special t-shirts for the day. 3 cheers.
    As always, thanks to the racers and exec. from the WMRC for letting me steal their lunch hour!

Here's the nice note, and a picture of Marco enjoying himself. When she says 'staff' in this case, she means PRS, the WMRC, and Vancouver BMW Ducati.

Hi Bernie,
    I would like to thank you again for your generous donation.
    On August 1, 2011 our Starlight children and families enjoyed an exciting fun filled day at your Mission Raceway Motorcycle Event.
    Your kindness helps us to continue to serve seriously ill children and their families by providing them with programs designed to restore some of the laughter and happiness that may be missing from their lives.

Attached is a copy of Marco who is wheelchair bound struggling from Cerebral Palsy.
    His Mom told me that sitting on a motorcycle was a dream come true for him.
    Thank you to you and your staff for helping us make dreams come true!

Kind Regards
    Debbie Bielech
    Great Escapes Co-ordinator
    Starlight Children's Foundation Canada

Attached Files:

10. JIMMY

JIMMY New Member

Nice job as usual Bernie, I'm sorry I missed that day.
    Tony Dathan did some nice 8 x 10's of the bike Marco is on in his studio last year.
    If you think he would appreciate a nice framed and signed copy get his address to me and I will send him out one.

11. Bernie

I'm not sure if your nerves could have taken 20 kids crawing all over your racebike :D

Thanks, Marco would love a picture for his room.

12. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Fantastic Bernie,
    I'm glad the WMRC could be a part of his day! As always you are welcome to arrange these events on any of our race days. Your track walk is always a big hit, and the WMRC and I will always support children's causes.

13. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

Thanks Bernie. The look on those kid's ( and the parents for that matter) when we did a fly by in turn 3, was worth the price of admition. had a ton of fun with it.

14. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I was thinking the same thing! I enjoyed those flybys greatly just by looking at all the faces who loved it.

15. Bernie

You could probably see my with a big grin as well!
    The flybys, that makes it super cool for them. I was thinking 'wow, that's close', but when they cheered you knew it was awesome! Hopefully it sells a few people on cornerworking as well. It should!
    Okay, at least one in 2012, no problem, thanks again for all the help!