Track Day Registration

Discussion in 'Events' started by bigga_boy, Apr 2, 2017.

1. bigga_boy

bigga_boy Livin' The Dream WMRC Exec

2. bigga_boy

bigga_boy Livin' The Dream WMRC Exec

3. Alessandra.Casanova

Alessandra.Casanova New Member

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and have a couple questions. I feel like a noob but I can't figure out how to create a new post...
    I sent an email two weeks ago wanting to register for the New Racer course in May but I was told that it was sold out :( I replied asking if there is a wait list I could get on, I haven't heard back so I sent an email again a couple days ago but I can't seem to get ahold of anyone. At this point I can imagine that if there is a wait list there must be people on it already but I would still like to know and get on it if possible.

My other questions is regarding the New Racer school vs Semi Private instruction at track day. I was a bit surprised to see that the semi private instruction costs more than the New Racer course and I was wondering why. Does the Semi Private cover more training? I thought it would be the other way around, considering that the NRC is a 2 day course and includes classroom instruction as well as on track. What does the Semi Private training include?
    I will be registering for the May 20th trackday asap as I dont want that to sell out too!

Thanks in advance!
    Alessandra.

4. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

I'm sure that we've gotten your email, the Exec is very busy this time of year getting the season started. The May race school usually sells out in February. We've spent a lot of time talking about how to get more students through, but you must remember that the WMRC is 100% run by volunteers and it is a big commitment to put on the race school, two of them a year is pretty much maximum capacity right now.

There are two main differences between semi-private instruction and the racer school. First, semi-private has you in a group with a maximum of 3 students whereas the race school has groups of at least 5; as above we are always running at capacity. That's the main reason it costs more. Also, the racer school is targeted at licensing racers, so it covers a lot of safety issues, bike prep, and track procedures. It is meat and potatoes stuff that is critical to be safe on the track and it is highly recommended for anyone that wants to ride on the track regularly as a trackday rider or racer. Semi-private instruction is run during one of our trackdays and is 100% focused on riding technique. You cannot get a race license from semi-private instruction. There is some overlap, but the two offerings are designed to complement each other.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Brett likes this.
  5. Alessandra.Casanova

I didn't realize it was run 100% by volunteers, I understand it must be a lot of work and I didn't expect it would sell out so early, so I guess I started looking into it a bit late. Now I know! I actually just got a reply back about the wait list so that's all good.

Thanks for the clarifications! My plan is to do as much track riding this year as possible and the goal is to get a racing licence so NRC sounds like the way to go for that. However I do want to learn good technique of course. I don't want to just do track days without any training and risk picking up bad habits. Sounds like the Semi private would be just as beneficial.
    So does the Semi private student group go out on the track in intervals between the other groups or do they join the beginner group (non students) out on the track?

6. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Semi private will run in an appropriate group during the normal trackday sessions. So whatever group you would normally ride in is the group you will use for your instruction, usually B or C groups.

7. Alessandra.Casanova

Great, thank you!

8. Steve M

Steve M New Member

If we purchased the track day package at the bike show, do we still have to register online for track days? Are we automatically registered?
    If we do have to register, how should we handle the part where it asks for credit card info?

Thanks,
    Steve

9. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood WMRC President

Hi Steve,
    You bought the track day and practice day package at the bike show. You are automatically registered, there's no further action required on your part at this time.

If one was curious the track days & practice day registration is handled by the same website as last year, found here http://www.wmrc.ca/registration

race day registration is different and handled by www.motorsportreg.com