Tires... when to change and with what.

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by jumpingjupiter, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jumpingjupiter

jumpingjupiter New Member

I have a couple of questions about knowing when to change out a race tire and what I can/should replace it with.

Let me start with I?m very slow? 1:25 is a hot lap for me. I figure that I should get plenty of life out of a set of tires at that pace.

I?ve had 3 track days and 2 races on a set of Supercorsa Dragon Pro take offs. These skins still stick like glue to the track but would prefer to swap out before things start getting squirly. Are there any symptoms I should be looking for (besides sliding down the track using my bum as a brake) to give an indication the tire is at the end of it?s life cycle?

Also, would a hyper-sport tire do the trick since I?m so slow? I?ve been in the street groups at track days and guys down in the low 1:20s are just fine on their street tires. The reason I ask is because it seems that all of my friends have changed their tires in the past couple weeks. They know I started racing so they saved their take offs for me. Down to the wear bar in the center but virgin territory on the shoulders.

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

You have several options.

You will be fine on street tires at that pace. A good rider on street tires will be ok until the 1:18's. The downside is that street tires have different profiles to race tires and the bike may handle or feel different, requiring some suspension set-up. Although now is a good time to learn about your suspension and get to know someone who can help you with it.

Your other option is to by more take offs and learn to feel when a tire is going "off". With warmers you should get 3-4 days at your pace before you find any movement, with out warmers may be sooner as the tire will heat cycle much more often.

3. Schoey

Schoey New Member

Jumpingjupiter.
    This is my thought:

The symptoms that I look for:
    -How uniform is the tire? The tire will wear unevenly. I have noticed that the effort needed to lean the bike for a turn is different from left to right. Relpace it.
    -Tire wear bars. How much rubber is between you and the road. Don't forget, the less rubber there is there, the tire doesn't flex as well=less traction. Replace it
    -How does the tire feel when riding? Have you had any slips with it? You can be the only judge for this.

Your best option (I think) would be to ask a few experienced racers the same questions with a supporting theory. From their answers, pick which theories you like. Any racer here would help you if you asked them.

You should be OK using street tires.
    Maybe someone else can comment about using street tires and if they have overheating issues?

4. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Troy was able to ride a Pilot Power at about a 1.16.xx pace in the endurance race for over an hour striaght. Those tires were used of the entire 4 hour endurance race and I would have put them on my street bike afterwards, they looked that good. So yes, you can use a good street tire quite easily at your pace.

5. SethS

SethS New Member 2010

Jayson, what bike was Troy riding with the Pilot Power tires doing 1:16's? Were these low times coming through cornering or by straightline grunt? Curious 'cause I'm running Pilot Power 2Ct's on my bone stock '03 R-6. These the same tires or not?

6. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

I think it was an R-6?? but it was 4 or 5 years ago. I know for sure he was on the original version of the Pilot Powers, your 2Ct's should be a way better tire than the ones he used. I would guess that those times came from being very smooth and consitent on the bike.

7. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

the bike was a brand new 05 CBR600RR. Those times at the time were VERY respectable. The times they were running was about 2 seconds slower than the fastest times around then. 1:14s were considered to be top 3.

8. TommyO

TommyO Daytonut

Wow, you're right!....It seems so surreal to me now!.......I remember standing in T9 marshalling, and watching Oliver Jervis leave a black strip off his rear tire exiting that corner onto the straightaway and thinking he was GOD!.....I remember when the track record first entered the 1:13's......I was so impressed, but equally inspired!..........Thanx, Ollie!........wya!........:bow:

9. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

It was Bez's R-6. Poor Troy had to do 2 stints because Steve Dick didnt want to ride. Or something I cant remeber. I ran the third leg of that race and they were great for me. I think Bez and I were running in the 18's ish with them and I had no problems.

BTW. I still think that was fixed. I know we actully won it but you know what happens when you get Ken and Steve together. come to think of it I think Gale was doing the lap counting for them. Hmm. Odd.

HaHaHaHa