Tire sizes for 250 supersport

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by *Jay*, Feb 8, 2013.

1. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Is it possible to vote on the use of non DOT race tires for use in this class? As it stands we can use non DOT rain tires but are exempt from using non DOT dry tires. The biggest race tire supplier at the track sells Pirelli. Pirelli has made a race tire since 2012 (non DOT dry & rain) for the rim size of the most common bikes raced in this class. Bridgestone also make dry and rain tires in this size range as well.

Here is the details on the recommended rim sizes for the tires in question.
    pirelli race tire.png
    pirelli race tire 2.png

I don't NEED to use this tire, I just wanted to know if the option to use it could be explored. (I am sure that talent will outperform equipment in this class, and was demonstrated by a couple of fast guys last year running a 110/150 combo)

Thank you for your feedback.
    Jay

2. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

80+ views and no responses?

3. Paulchen

Paulchen New Member

Jay lets keep it sample. Since most racer r new like myself. Leave that till we have bigger group.....then make class use slick...hahaha!!!
    with slick would be a different experience............

4. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I got an answer on another thread, and am pasting it here for future reference.

"In order to have rule changes considered, you should submit your request, in writing, to your rider rep. Then when the rule book committee meets, usually in November each year, we review the the proposals to change rules and either deny or approve the change. This years vote on the link change was a special resolution vote as the rulebook was already published, and the change was quite controversial.

Otherwise, rule changes should follow the proper channels as outlined above."

Thanks Dean!

5. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

I just want put in my 2 cents on this. The Pirelli Moto 3 slicks which were just released in 2012 (and work great on 250s) are selling for under $300/set which is, as far as I know , quite a bit less than the Dunlops. I know that the original intent of the 250 class was to keep it as "stockish appearing as possible", but those rules have been relaxed somewhat. Also,since trying to keep this class as cheap to run as possible is one of the aims to entice more riders to come out/retain existing ones, allowing these would help in that regard. This would also open up this class to tire manufacturers other than Pirelli, giving more choice to racers. If you're a 250 racer, contact your rider rep to put forward this proposal, there's still time to change the existing rule if there is enough demand for it.
    P.S. Pirelli also makes Moto3 sized rains that definitely are the best for these bikes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Marbod is right. If you can get enough 250 riders all together to request a rule change that you all can agree upon, there is no reason why the rule cannot be changed in the interim. You'll also want to make sure that the 250 Gold Cup series sponsor will okay the change as well. Remember there are 2 250 classes. The 250 Gold Cup which is run by a 3rd party and includes 2 race clubs, and 250 Production, which is purely WMRC, and allows more makes and models to compete. Don't confuse the two as they have slightly different rules.

7. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Good point. Also the rules for WMRRA,OMRRA and EMRA will need to be checked if anyone is taking their 250 there. EMRA is starting the 250 class for this season!

8. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Hey Dean Thompson, how do you feel about the use of this new tire? For or against?

9. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Depends if you send me the template for the ZZR rear sets :devil:.

I don't really care. A set of tires lasts all season. Actually longer than that, I expect to get this season out of the Michelin's too.

10. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Wow I forgot all about that! I just got the tail section from Flexiglass and I am working on the fitting it to the bike tonight, I will make photocopy of the rearset plates available to anyone with a ZZR250.

How did the Michelins fit? Better than the Dunlops or the same?