"Take It To The Track" campaign

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by spero, May 27, 2014.

1. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

I had a talk with Scott & Bez about this and decided to send the following email to the BC Minister of Transportation. Let's see what response we get...

Honourable Todd Stone,

My name is Spero Benias, I am a member and current #1 plate holder of the Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club (WMRC). We race motorcycles at Mission Raceway Park in Mission, BC. I am also a Track Riding Coach with the West Coast Superbike School as well as at Pitt Meadows Track Days.

As your office knows, so many BC motorcyclists are unnecessarily injured or killed attempting to push the limits or street race on public roads in our province every year, there is no reason for it!!

We as Racers and Trackday Riders feel that it is our mandate to promote our sport and get motorcyclists that street race onto the racetrack where it is a professional, controlled and educational environment. From our experience once a person has ridden a motorcycle on a racetrack for a trackday or race they have absolutely no desire to street race or push the limits on the street.

We here at the WMRC are wondering if there are any BC Government grants available so that we could do a "Take It To The Track" campaign. We are thinking items such as posters, billboards, print media, social media, and perhaps radio & TV news/ads. The idea is to make track riding the "cool" thing to do instead of street racing.

Here are the pertinent links for your perusal:

http://www.westwoodracing.com/
    http://www.westcoastsuperbikeschool.com/
    http://pittmeadowstrackdays.ca/

To date we have received interest in doing a news story about this from:
    Randene Neill, Global News
    Tony Parsons, CBC News
    Tamara Taggart, CTV News
    Alexandra Straub, The Province

Please have someone from your staff contact any of the following people at their convenience:

Scott Borthwick, WMRC President
    scottborthwick34@gmail.com

Bez Cajee, WMRC Promotions
    bezcajee@gmail.com

Bruce Aylen, WMRC Promotions
    wmrcpromotions@gmail.com

I truly believe that together we can make a difference and who knows, there may just be a future World Champion motorcycle racer from British Columbia!

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter,

Spero Benias
    Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

50+ views and no letters posted...really?

Just in case it's not blatantly obvious....
    What the "Take It To The Track" campaign would do is bring more motorcyclists to the track(s) to try trackday(s). All of us racers know how the WMRC has been struggling financially and how much raceday entry fees are due to the high costs of putting on an event.

More racers means more needed money for the WMRC and would mean fuller grids, possibly lower raceday entry fees and potentially more racedays.

It is going to take ALL of us to get involved and take a few minutes to write a letter to the Ministers of Justice, Transportation, Finance and any other Minister(s) that you think could help bring this campaign to fruition.

...SO LET'S ALL GET OFF OUR FUCKING ASSES AND TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO WRITE A FUCKING LETTER!
    ...or we could just sit back and do nothing and let the WMRC struggle year after year until it possibly goes bankrupt and we don't have any more motorcycle racing events here in BC.

3. Dalton

Dalton New Member

Letter sent.

And I think this may be my first post here.

Woot!

4. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

That's great Dalton! Feel free to post your letter here if you want.

Welcome to the forum!

5. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

I just received this email:

Dear Mr. Benias:

Your email of May 28, 2014, addressed to the Honourable Todd Stone, Minister of Transportation, regarding the "Take it to the Track" campaign has been forwarded to me for response.

As Superintendent of Motor Vehicles I am concerned about the safety of all road users in B.C., including motorcycle riders. The Province has taken steps to improve the safety of motorcycle riders and to enable police to more easily combat street racing. However, we recognize that motorcyclists remain over-represented in traffic fatalities, as they are involved in approximately 11 per cent of all road fatalities, but only make up three per cent of B.C.'s road users.

Motorcycle safety remains a priority of the Ministry of Justice however at this time we do not have any grants or funds available for the "Take it to the Track" campaign. I have forwarded your e-mail to our Stakeholder Relations team to see how we may be able to assist through support on social media or via our website. They can be contacted at RoadSafetyBC@gov.bc.ca<mailto:RoadSafetyBC@gov.bc.ca>.

I appreciate your engagement in the important issue of motorcycle safety.
    Yours sincerely,

Sam MacLeod
    Superintendent of Motor Vehicles
    RoadSafetyBC

Reference No. 502076

Start sending emails to Road Safety!