SV & Novice Class

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by brianp, Apr 14, 2010.

1. brianp

brianp New Member

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse hear guys.

As of a few months ago I was lead to believe via the rulebook:
    7.1 Novice

? The purpose of this class is to give the beginning racer track experience under racing conditions.

? No points or other rewards are given

? All types of racing motorcycles are allow provided they conform to the rules in Chapter 5

? Formula 3, Formula 2, 650cc twins and vintage bikes are allowed to run their respective classes instead of the novice class.

As well as on the forum here that as a novice 650 rider I would still be in the middleweight twin class. Even though I'm a novice (which I understand would mean no trophy or points.)

But everyone I've talked since I've started the WCSS (assorted instructors, as well as I beleive Ken was at the tradex and I asked him) have said regardless of bike CC or bike type you run in the novice mock-race.

Is there one person I should talk to for the final judgement call on this? Just wondering before I start registering for the wrong things.

Again sorry for beatign a dead horse.

2. Brent 96

Brent 96 going nowhere...quickly

IIRC, the novice "mock race" is part of your day of training at the track with WCSS, and everyone has a go at it.

When you register for your first race day with the WMRC, you can enter your SV in Novice OR twins. I raced a few novice races on my SV and had a good experience because I had some people to race with due to our comparative abilities/times.

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Brent is correct. Technically, you can register your SV650 directly in the middleweight twins class, but I'd have some serious doubts about that. We are running that class combined with Heavyweight Twins at the same time, so you would actually be running with Ducati 1098s, Buell 1200s, RC51s, and other 1000CC Twins as well as Superbike built, heavily modified SVs. You would be riding against expert and intermediate class motards as well.

The mock race is the final race on your final day with WCSS and has nothing to do with the WMRC. They put all your classmates in a race together regardless of what bike you are on.

If you are very insistent on running the SV in the middleweight twins class, and can consistently run your SV at time below 1:19 per lap, then enter that class. HOWEVER, the novice class is designed for those who are still learning to become consistent on track during which they are passing, being passed, and are just getting used to everything that goes on when on a track. In the classes out side of Novice, you'll quickly notice that the 2 to 3 feet you give each other for passes has now moved down to 6 inches or less in some cases. It's not that courtesy goes out the window in a race, it's just that the full on race classes assume that you will hold your line when under pressure of an extremely close pass. It's not uncommon to bang bars going into turn 1.

Personally, I'd stay in the novice class for the first season. Get 8 rounds in of experience, then join the fray. If you find you are consistently winning the novice races and don't have anyone to race with because you are always out front, then consider moving to the twins class.

4. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

The whole idea of the novice class, is for new riders to gain track experience. You do this by racing/riding with other fellow novices, where you can dice it up and get better at it. Presumably there will be other people with SV's in the novice class, and you can battle it out with them.

The above rule allows novices with slower bikes to race with other slow bikes. No one learns anything by racing alone. You have to have someone to do battle with, otherwise you will never improve. A vintage/F2 bike cannot do battle with a modern GSX'r, R1 etc... so the rider would not really learn anything. Hence, they are allowed to ride in a class where they would "fit in" and improve their skills.

With an SV, I would stick to the novice class for the first season regardless of what the rulebook says. And if you find that you consistently finish in the top 5 then it's time to talk to your rider rep...

cheers
    alex

5. brianp

brianp New Member

Yeah I really wanted to race with other SV's so I could try and get in and get competitive with others which I figured I couldn't do racing against 600's and 1000's in novice figured I'd just get left behind in the straights cause I was the only SV in the WCSS.

But I've now heard of 4-5 other SV's from last year who are looking to enter novice this year. And I realized if I ran in middleweight twin I'd hit the same problem anyway just because I'm new I'd be in the back and wouldn't be able to get in there with the intermediates (just yet).

And the point about novices giving each other much more passing room is also something I didn't think about but so very true.

As well even on the SV I guess I was making passes on 600's at tradex so I would have people to dice with.

I was just looking at CC size and being all "I'll be left in the back with no one to compete against" but I really wasn't looking at the whole picture I guess.

Cheers,
    you'll see me on the novice grid.

6. Dean

excitement and anticipation is all part of it! With your enthusiasm, you'll do well with us. Get a feeler for it first, and then you'll have fun with those 600s as you beat em! At Thunderhill I was blowing past 600s and 750s on my 70HP SV. In Novice, you'll usually have someone to dice with until you get really smooth and fast, then you'll just be out front all the time. At that point, you are ready for the other classes as a graduated novice.

7. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

8. Dean

LOL! Obviously, not yours, but some of the other class students on 750s, I was!

9. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

LOL.......... I can't believe :41 minutes to Chime in.

Tradex and Mission are completely different. My suggestion is see how things go on Friday. By the time you do your Mock race you'll have a pretty good idea how you will do. If you want, i'll lend you my lap timer and after the day I (or Dean or Jayson) can tell you exactly where abouts you'll end up in a class. So, learn as much as you can on Friday, have fun, relax and by supper time you'll have a pretty good handle on what Saturday will be like.

10. tt600

tt600 New Member

i do believe i left you in the dust last year dean....i'd like to know which 600's you were beating?lol

11. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

:eek:Holy shit dude, You've only been racing for a year and you're talking 'Smack' with a guy who's racing Pro this year? :devil:

12. Dean

ask the group who went to thunderhill this year Lou. They all saw me out there, and that's what I was referencing.

13. tt600

tt600 New Member

Oh dean, just having some fun....I know you were referring to thunderhill.yes,your a good racer.

14. Dean

got ya in my sights Lou ;)

15. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

With the SV being a twin, you probably have more "grunt" in the midrange which will help when coming out of corners. Also, not having as much power to the rear wheel will be an advantage (IMHO) since the bike will be easier to handle. You'll be able to concentrate on your braking, acceleration, shifting, lines, and not hanging on for dear life trying to keep 100+ ponies under control. :) And Mission only has one real straight - and even that is not long by other track standards. Early on the gas out of 9, and late on the brakes in 1 and you should be right in there. Like Dean and others have said - a half decent SV with an experienced rider on it is no slowpoke.

You'll have lots of fun.

cheers
    alex

16. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

IF it were me, I would do the first weekend in Novice then see where my lap times were in comparison to other twins etc. If you've got no one to battle with in Novice, you can dice it up with me, bez, dave moore, gio and dean. Marbod always checks out after lap 1.

17. brianp

brianp New Member

lol I was worried about not having anyone to dice with because of being left behind. I bet i'd still be givin'r just to keep you guys in view.

I'm going to run Novice and see how things are. The more we talk about it I bet I'll be just fine in novice for the season. If my lap times aren't horrible maybe near the end of the season after I get my lines down I'll try and keep pace with you guys in a race =)

Something else just started worrying me though.
    21. inline multi cylinder, four stroke motorcycles up to 750cc must utilize an OEM
    For some reason I thought the OEM Exhaust rule only applied to the inline 4's. I know regardless of exhaust type it has to be under 88db. The SV I have has a yosh bolt on but it raced last year with you guys in intermediate without a problem in tech. Do SV's also have to have OEM exhausts or will it be okay as long as it's under 88db?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  18. Dean

twins are okay with aftermarket. Just be under 88db and you'll be fine.

19. brianp

brianp New Member

Sweet, I think I'm just about ready ! Wait to get my leathers back, finish wire locking a few things and then I'll be seeing some of you Thursday (track prep?) and most of you Friday!

Does anyone leave there bike there all weekend? Is it safe?

oh

and is yellow tape on the bike good enough to put numbers on for novice or do I have to paint the sections before applying numbers?

ps. Thanks for all the replies. My throttle hand is getting antsy.

20. tt600

tt600 New Member

yes,there's quite a few that leave their bike.if you don't have yellow tape...see marbod or sean (mspeed) they will be at the track.hmm,i guess should be racing pro in no time....lol