STAR School Trip Report

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by Jayson, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

2690km
    171 Gallons of fuel
    33 hours on the road
    over 500km ridden around Thunderhill

= Absolutely the best motorcycle related week I have ever had.

Post up your pictures and stories here:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Rusty crash? That's unpossible!

3. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

here's more pics, sorry I was too tired last night to post more....

Attached Files:

4. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

I'm so glad eveyone that came down had a great time. I kept telling everyone that the Star School at T-Hill is the absolute best riding experience.:bow:

I rode my bike just under 700km on a set of slicks with 1/2 a day from Portland on them. The cords started showing on the rear just like last year, but the grip was still there...Pirelli tires rock!! (see pic)

Then for the last few sessions on the 3rd day I rode a stock SV650 & let's just say that it'll probably need a new kickstand soon. I learned more riding the SV because the speeds were not as great & I could brake deeper.

We had an interesting drive back home. (I'll let Toli post the story on that one)

Attached Files:

5. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Mat Damon

Brett, Jac and myself got back around 9pm last night. Our trip was awesome and went off without a hitch. We were lucky enough to travel with Jimi and Schoey and they were great travel companions.. Made all the miles on the road very enjoyable with many great laughs.. Though I do think I've drank my last Corona for some time and if I hear one more "Mat Damon" I may go crazy.. lol. Jac and I were both heartbroken to return our rented Dodge Ram 3500 this morning. That truck was perfect for the trip and I'd love to have one.
    I have a new favorite track in Thunderhill, it's fast, fun and technical. All three of had a blast out there learning a new track and learning new techniques which we can't wait to try out at Mission. It was a great way to start the season, I for one wasn't sure how I was going to feel getting back on a bike and even how the bike would run and I'm happy to say both concerns weren't realized. The rust has been shaken off and the bike works great.. Overall I'm sure we'd say that we'd love to do it again next year.
    Here's a couple pics I had from my camera. We'll have a full gallery and movies soon.
    Cheers to everybody for making this trip a great success!:cheers:

Attached Files:

• th3.jpg
      th3.jpg
      File size:
      74.7 KB
      Views:
    • th1.jpg
      th1.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
    • th2.jpg
      th2.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • th4.jpg
      th4.jpg
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

This trip was my vacation for the year and it was a total blast. A big thanks to Jimi "Matt Damon" Toth and Rob "I'll take a side of Advil" Schoemeyer for making it so much fun....I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!!

Definitely a sad day today returning the rental, so comfortable, and tons of power in the mountains. Guess I better start buying lottery tickets!

Thanks to Mr. Lynch for getting us the great rate at the hotel in Willows, Rusty for sharing his pit and to the rest of the WMRC gang, let's do it again next year! Oh, and those Albertans were okay too ;) we'll see you both soon, hope you had a good trip home.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  7. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

:rolleyes:........No comment.

8. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

9. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

Everyone's looking good, pretty smooth cornering.

10. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Attached Files:

12. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

Thanks for sharing the pics and the videos.

13. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

14. gsxr7racer

gsxr7racer New Member

That looks like a fun track!! That looks like you guys had way too much fun, I am jealous. I think I might have to save some duckets and do the rock star thing next year and fly down and use one of their bikes!

15. Schoey

Schoey New Member

What a great experience. The instruction from Jason Pridmore and all his crew is top shelf. Half of the time was in the classroom learning different techniques, and the other half putting in to action on the track. Jason has the ability to explain everything in the simplest ways to have everyone understand. The biggest challenge for a few racers was to throw away the things they think they know, and learn from scratch.

OHH. MAJOR HIGHLIGHT. 2 up ride behind Pridmore weaving through the riders going faster than everyone out there on a stock GSXR1000 with street Dunlop tires. In turn 2, as we were leaning over and both of us draggging knees, he lifts his left hand off the handle bar and motions for my eyes to look at the exit of the turn. It was at that point I realized that I don't use tires for what they're really capable of. For those that went on the trip and went 2 up with JP, post up your 2 up experience.

I had a great time with everyone from our club. We shared a lot of laughs/beer. I'll post some pictures by the end of the week.

I'm going again next year!

Rob Schoemeyer
    WMRC #61

16. apollo_10

apollo_10 novice

It was truly a pleasure meeting all the WMRC members and sharing the best 3 days I've had on a motorcycle.

The drive back home... well that was another story.
    Suffering a dead battery in the van on day2-Tuesday, we misdiagnosed the faulty alternator for a bad battery. So off to Wally's we went to buy a new battery. It lasted like a champ for two days and after saying our good bye's on day3 we headed onto the I-5 driving back home or so we thought.

3 hours into the trip I noticed the headlights were really dim entering the mountain pass (mt.shasta). I tried to convince myself it was the crappy halogens on the old Dodge. After stopping for fuel Spero and I thought it was better to leave the van running while refueling (safe, i know) in order to keep the engine from having to restart. Well that plan worked while refueling but jumping into the van to drive away, a brain fart caused us to shut-off the engine, yeah good times. So we called CAA, got a tow at 9:45pm to a town called Ashland (sucks!) and stayed the night at a La Quinta Inn. On a positive note, we enjoyed a nice meal at the King of Burgers and joked with the nice lady named Maria behind the cash register.

We woke up nice an early, 7:30am, ready to speak to the mechanics on duty and get the repair started, that's where we had some difficulty with the locals. Apparently, Ashland is the Canadian equivalent to Nunavut, with a Dodge alternator being the Ring of Gollum, nothing located within a 100 mile radius. At minimum it would be 24 hours to get a new alternator.

Spero asked the "service manager" if we could at least remove our alternator in preparation for the new part since their mechanics could not see the van until after 12pm, and we were asked to remove our van off of their property. Thanks for that. If that wasn't enough, the area where we parked the van after rolling it off their lot was apparently "blocking the lane access" and we had to move it further down the highway. Needless to say we were getting a bit p/o'ed at these "mechanics". Oh, apparently the service manager was still "off the clock" when we tried speaking to him.

As resourceful Canadians, we took matters into our own hands. Parked on the side of the highway, Spero pulled out the generator and fired her up, plugged in the trickle charger and got the battery charging. I called a taxi and drove to Medford where I found an auto recycling yard where I pulled a used alternator from a 1990 Dodge B150. In the meatime, my cell phone wasn't happy being in the US and was returning all my text messages I was trying to send.

By 10:30 am I returned with the used alternator, and helped Spero install it. We got everything packed up and made a quick prayer before turning the key in the ignition. YAY, it started!

So as we bolted off, it took all my courage not to flip the mechanics the bird, but I was just so happy to be on our way that I let it slide. The rest of the 10 hour drive just flew-by.

I'm probably missing some details....All in all mechanical pieces eventually breakdown, it's all good. Thanks to Spero and Modern for taking me along and for great company.

<sigh> needless to say, this was a memorable trip.
    Spero has some pictures of the breakdown if anyones interested.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  17. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

Here's the pics of our roadside alternator install.
    We were so lucky to make it through the Mt. Shasta pass without breaking down, especially due to the fact that it snowed through there later that night.

Attached Files:

18. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Wow, that was more adventure! Tolis, good on you for finding a used alternator. Great resourcefulness!