Spammers!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dean, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

We've been hit with a massive rash of spammers lately and are getting new user registrations at a rate of 10 to 12 per day. From now until after the Christmas Rush, I'm going to set the board to moderate new user registrations. This means, it can take a few days before a LEGITIMATE new user will get approved and can post. I will check for approvals every day or two. Let's all help to keep the forum spam free!

2. Dean

So far, since I've posted this, we've had over 22 new user registrations and every last one of them have been bloody spammers. One got through, but Jayson got em! If you are a legitimate user and really need to post WMRC related stuff, you can always email us directly with your username and we can verify you and give you posting rights.

I'm keeping these restrictions in place until at least middle of Jan 2010.

3. Dean

I've now moved the site to a much more robust human verification system called ReCaptcha! hopefully this helps to stop the non-humans. If you are not signed in, you will see this new method in the registration screen and in the search function.

4. Dean

Seems a few more spammers got through and sent some PMs to our user base. I've removed their permissions to do that, and you can safely ignore the PM. It's spam anyways, and you do not have a virus or anything like that. Don't click on any links in PMs, and the forum administration will NEVER send you stuff like that.

5. Dean

Spammers have now busted ReCaptcha totally now, and we've had about 35 new bot registrations in the last 2 days. I've placed code in the forum software to check against known forum spammers and reject their signups. If you have trouble signing up, please contact us via the contact us section on the website, and we'll see what we can do to get you registered on our forums.

Man, I *hate* dirty rotten spammers!

6. Dean

So far the code I've put in has stopped 126 spammer registrations since yesterday at 9:13 am. Globally, anti-spam companies have noticed that the top 5 spam servers have greatly reduced the amount of spam emails they are sending out. Industry experts are speculating that they are gearing up to start spamming forums and blog comments as the new media method of getting our attention. I would love to find the people responsible for those servers and bots and just get 48 hours alone with them. I'd like to make the torture as slow and painful as possible :devil::swear: