So when would a bike be considered vintage?

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Solo Soldier, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Solo Soldier

Solo Soldier New Member

I have a 1991 CBR 600 F2 done up in race fairings, I did a few races with it and put it in storage for when some one say's it can be raced in the vintage class of bikes.

So when will it be considered a bike for racing in vintage class is my question?

2. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

From what I read in the rule book it won't qualify for vintage as it's a 600cc engine. It does already qualify for middleweight superbike tho.

3. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

It's vintage now... Eligible for Formula Classic. Get her tuned up and see you on the grid next year!

cheers
    alex

4. bsa_414

It falls under the unwritten rule "at the discretion of the Classic Rider Rep" :)
    If it would be something newer I would limit it to 550, but a '91 600? Don't think so. See my post above. Also, this gives him two classes to enter (FClassic and MWSBK) which is our goal for every rider/bike.

Cheers
    alex

5. bsa_414

Not to hijack the thread or anything... When is the rule book committee metting? We want to fine tune the rules for FClassic a bit, and would like to attend. Also I thought that's what FClassic was all about. Older bikes that are not competitive withe the modern bikes... Why would we be making another class, when perhaps we can fine tune FC to include these bikes?

Cheers
    Alex

6. bsa_414

Nothing ever does...:) The old bikes are here to stay for a looong time. And rather than creating a new class for the more powerful older bikes I would rather see them folded in with us. I'll also put this out 'cause I know the speed differential issue will be brought up...

What's the difference between me racing my 74 cb450 twin or rz 350 in mwt/hwt with james's 1098 and me racing the same bikes with a 1998 gsxr1100? No difference that I can clearly see.

So I say, let's see if we can work something out and grow an existing class,
    rather than creating a new class. I'm not opposed to having a new class created if it makes sense (and there's more than just a few bikes), but we should be exploring all options.

Maybe theres more to this and it's getting lost in the posts, so I'll wait for the rulebook meeting.

Cheers
    Alex

7. Solo Soldier

Solo Soldier New Member

Thanks for all the info, I'll be moving the bike from storage in northern Alberta in the spring, if anything, I had so much fun riding that old bike, most likely It will be out there on track days next year.