Safety Wiring a Master Link C-Clip

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Amory, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Amory

Amory Slow? What's slow?

I know in the rules we have to safety wire our master link clips on our chains, but how exactly should it be safety wired? I have tried it several ways and the safety wire gets broken by the sprocket teeth every time. The only way I can see safety wire staying on is if you dont put the clip on and use safety wire in place of it.

Pics would be awesome.

2. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

.....EASY.....

First take the smallest drill you have. Make sure you have a drill press to perform the next operation. Install the chain and then bring the bike to the drill press. You may need a friend to help you here. Tilt the bike on it's side 90 degrees with the chain facing up. Now drill through the masterlink and the chain plate taking care not to overheat the 'O'rings......Kimpex sells more if you destroy one. Then run the wire through the hole and neatly wrap it around. Now clean all the gas off your garage floor. See chiropractor.

........Seriously though.....Wrap the wire through the link and OVER the master clip. Spin it tight and clip off the excess. Then bend that little tail back in the same direction of the clip. Now take a little bit of silicone and dab it over the clip and the wire 'tail'. I find if I don't do this the wire goes 'Rogue' or disappears all together.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I didn't even know there were chains made these days with C-clips anymore! I thought they were all mushroomed master links now.

4. Amory

Amory Slow? What's slow?

I think Eddie gives me them as a joke...

5. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

Like this and then a dab of siliconeover top.

Attached Files:

6. overdraft

overdraft too slow to race

oh ya, and then mark it somehow so tech can see it easily. red paint or something...

7. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

I also put a dab of silicone over the safety wire. It stops the clip/wire failing from vibration fatigue. You can use a colored Silicone if you want to make the Tech inspectors life even easier.

8. Amory

Amory Slow? What's slow?

Thanks for the tips, so far it worked on my chain for seattle!

9. Simon

Simon New Member

Why must people insist on using C-clips? Would you go out on the track with loose caliper bolts???????????

For your safety-IE keeping your leg, engine etc intact and mine, having you high side in front of me or put your chain thru my head or body, USE A RIVET STYLE LINK-PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!