Safety wire question - RC390

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by StreetHawk, Jan 12, 2018.

1. StreetHawk

StreetHawk New Member

Greetings,

In the process of safety wiring my rc390 and have a question for anyone with an answer...

Looks like the coolant cap for this bike can't be drilled due to its size/shape. What have others done with this issue?
    Also, the oil drain plug containing the filter screen...that's also a bastard to drill as it is hollow. Can you get away with siliconing that?

Cheers!
    Aaron

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Might have to run an aftermarket rad cap that is a more traditional shape and easier to drill. Same with the drain bolt, definitely need to figure a way to wire that. They've been doing it since 2015 in MotoAmerica so you're not the first. I've only ever heard of silicone on an oil drain bolt as a mercy for first-day racers, and that's only if the tech inspector has had coffee. We have a couple of people that race these bikes so maybe they will chime in.

3. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Google found me this. Looks the same as most other drain bolts that are drilled.

[​IMG]

4. bigga_boy

bigga_boy Livin' The Dream WMRC President

the 390 does have a hollow bolt but totally able to drill it as pictured above or just straight through (left to right) halfway up closer to the top.
    i have done a few of these as race prep.

as for your rad cap you can drill the rounded lip. basically where you would grip it with your hands is where i am talking about.
    i have done that as well in the past

5. StreetHawk

StreetHawk New Member

Thanks gents, will give er a go.