Rule change: Supplemental Rules - missing warm up lap

Discussion in 'Rule Book Proposals' started by bsa_414, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

I propose that we revisit the supplemental rules that were introduced half way through the 2013 season:

Specifically:

The closing of pre-grid and the rider having to stay in hot lane until the riders have passed turn 2 if he missed his warm up lap.

I propose that we revert back to the rider(s) that have missed their warmup lap be allowed to enter the track and grid at the back after everyone else completes their warmup lap.

rationale: we have had that instance happen once, and the rider in question after completing three laps never ever caught up to the field, and ended up pulling out of the race since there is no way you are ever going to be able to`race'\catch-up.

i know that rule was brought about since people in some classes feel that having their tire warmers on till the very last second might give them some sort of advantage, but the rule as it stands hurts more classes (those of us that might be fighting with mechanical problems) than it benefits. Being at the back of the grid is penalty enough.

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I strongly disagree. if you miss the cutoff at pregrid, you should have to start from pit lane. It's meant to be punitive so that we don't have the delays we have experienced over the last number of years. Starting from the back of the grid would require either a) the rider to try and chase down the pack as they are warming up, then have them wait on the grid while the other guy grids up, or b) wait for the pack to get through T9, enter through pit exit (going the wrong way) then get gridded up while everyone else waits for them.

3. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

Ryan the rider should miss the warm up lap, be held in pregrid
    And as the last warmup rider comes around t9 he would be (the rider that was late in pregrid)
    Would be allowed to grid at the back. No time wasted there. You can even space them one or two rows behind the grid

4. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I'm actually all for a little more harsh of a penalty. If you miss it, you've missed the race. No refunds, no sympathy. Otherwise, I'd vote to leave the rule stand as it was re-written. Other clubs are exactly the same way. Miss your call to pre-grid, miss it all.

5. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I'd rather not have a guy who's had his tires cooling off for 2 minutes in pregrid, sitting at the back of the grid going balls out trying to pass as many guys as he can because he should have started on the front row. If you can't be on time, tough luck. IMO of course.

6. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

I'm with Ryan and Dean. you miss your pre-grid, you miss the race. Anything else is either unfair or potentially compromises safety.

7. Mike Thompson

Mike Thompson High Side Racing

I agree with Ryan,Dean and Andrew. If you can't make pre-grid, you didn't make the race. Being in pre-grid is part of the racing process. Next we will have people wanting to get in to the race after missing the first 2 laps because they were changing tires.

8. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

I really don't see the problem with the way the rule is written as it stands. It penalizes the rider(s) missing getting to pre-grid after receiving three calls to get ready substantially(as it should). By having to wait until the rest of the field is in Turn 2 we avoid the problem of the penalized/late rider trying to make up all his "lost" places by Turn 1, as Ryan pointed out earlier. His point about this potentially dangerous situation being compounded by that rider being on cold(ish) tires because he was waiting for the rest of the grid to complete their warmup lap also is correct.
    Missing the race though is too harsh a penalty in my opinion. Racers ARE our customers after all....