Rule Book Committee

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

It's open to everyone (except novice)
    there are no trophies, or points, no year end championship
    there is a cash prize for the top 3 finishers
    new winner every round
    only 1 race per day not 2
    cheaper entry fee

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

The Fast 25 is a throw together class, sort of a "run what you brung" race for a modest purse. Open to any and all machinery based on lap times from morning practice. It's a non-championship, non-points based race. Win it once, cannot win it again this season.

In Edmonton, I qualified for the fast 25 grid on my SV, so it's not just superbikes that can qualify.

3. Dean

Great discussion everyone! Let's keep it going.

4. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

If the same person wins every round and collects all the money it takes away the chance for others to win. This class helps give all riders a chance to win a race. If someone wants to earn points, a championship or trophy we have many classes for that. This is a fun way to get some track time.

5. Reckless

Reckless New Member

For the womens class would it be better if it was worded "a motorcycle that meets the tech rules for an existing class" rather than a bike that meets Superbike tech?
    I know it may be saying basically the same thing but "Superbike" carries a different meaning to "motorcycle" with most people.
    Also I am guessing that if you had a female racer without a bike that they could use an existing racers bike for the class? Rent or borrow?

6. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Good point, wording on this could be important, same as the Fast 25 class, the Superbike term may cause some confusion.

Someone from gridding or scoring should chime in on bike swapping? It could be confusing for scoring or corner marshalls if the bike number does not match the rider. I know if confuses the announcers if they don't receive the updated info.

7. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

I agree we need a class for the older bikes. back in 2002-2003 there were a ton of bikes, where did they go? they are all sitting in someones garage collecting dust because there is no class that you would be all that competitive in.
    there used to be f2-f3 class. If I'm not mistaken that has now become middle weight twins and middleweight superbike. where could a person run an F4I and be semi competitive?

middle weight twins needs to be changed up a bit in my option too. there needs to be some sort of horsepower limit on it. what is a middleweight twin? 1st and second gen sv's, EN 650;s, honda hawk 650, monster 690's. what is OEM power out of one of those? 75-80hp? whats the point of getting of getting out of 600 or superbike if you cant buy a stock bike and be up front. there are sv's out there pushing 90hp. where is the cheap racing gone?

8. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Agreed. Unless Steve, Ken and you come up with a bad case of dead, the first 3 races have first place already taken care of. Kicking the winner out would only lead to some racers mysteriously "fading back" to second place, keeping them in the money with another shot at a pay cheque. Just my opinion.

9. Ryan Whittle

I like the idea of 2 separate championships similar to OMRRA. Superbike still gets the #1 plate, but bring in a clubman/sportsman championship based on points scoring for top 2 classes. You would need a championship points weighting system based on entrants which might be a bit of a PITA, but its a suggestion.

I second Eddie's thought of a HP limit in MWT. That way you could save the SV guys from themselves, keeping guys from building hand grenades. It could also end the 748 controversy.

10. Ryan Whittle

Oh ya, and spec tire. Michelin of course...

11. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Many years ago when I raced motocross we used to have a Grand Prix race at the end of the day. It was open to any racer and had no trophy attached just prize money for first through third or fifth depending on the entries. It was just a fun race on the track with your friends. If you were too tired or needed to pack up and go home you didn't race it.
    Is this the same basic idea of what you want to do with the fast 25 class? If so I would recommend running it at the end of the day on the Saturday of double header race weekends as a fun cash prize race. It wouldn't interfere with the regular classes or confuse the spectators and it wouldn't delay track tear down or make the day too long. Have racers volunteer to cornerwork for it and use visual scoring, (you are only interested in 1,2,3 anyway) so the regular volunteers can go home or relax and watch a race.

12. Reckless

Reckless New Member

For the women's class when I look up the rule book it lists "Superbike" as unlimited displacement but not under 600cc's. Why would you require the women to go out there on only large displacement bikes?

13. Dean

I just want people to know that every proposal I've made for the club has been fully researched and compared to other clubs. The Fast 25 rules and suggestions were taken from the EMRA, where it is a HIGHLY successful class.

It does not glorify slow guys. It's called fast 25 for a reason. It's the fastest 25 riders based on lap times that enter. It's a fun small money class, no points. It's almost always sold out in the EMRA as well.

This is club racing. Once it becomes too serious, you are in danger of losing a large bulk of your riders. There are MANY riders that come out just to ride and have fun. They want to battle with a few people, but deep down, we all want to win. If we don't win, we get discouraged and quit. If this club is going to survive, it must grow. It must attract new members. Canada does NOT have the population of our Southern Neighbours, nor the demographics. We have nowhere near the population of NorCal, where all the serious race clubs are.

We are a small race club, limited to a track that has severely strict sound regulations, is small, and is point and shoot with little flow. We do our best with what we have.

Does anyone have any ideas that will encourage ridership? That will bring new people in, and still keep the ones that we have? Are those ideas proven with other clubs? Have they tried other things and failed? We are taking ideas from other clubs that are proven successful.

Let's keep the discussion up! It's good stuff, but we have to leave personal insults and flame wars aside. Productive discussion will make this a better club.

14. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

Well said Dean

15. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

Just like commerce. Small profit margin, higher sales volume. Worked wonders for Taste of Racing.

Three words for you: Formula Classic Challenge
    Minimum payout $500. I'll be posting more details in a separate thread, but we've made the initial announcement at the banquet. Real simple, show up with a classic bike, race every round, if at the end you are #1, you get the money. If you're not #1, too bad, so sad, try again.

I believe the rule book has some sort of wording in there to the effect that if you've been away for a while you are either a novice or have to take race school all over again. It does not differentiate based on sex, height, colour, nationality, or the fact that you are a biped or quadroped.

People read and misinterpret stuff all the time. I thought it would be good to have it "spelled" out.

16. Reckless

Reckless New Member

I agree with the taste of racing comment, at $35 bucks not too many, at $10 you couldn't fit them all on the track.
    I know that Rachel was handing out Westcoast Superbike School info to them all and was wondering if the club has a way of contacting all those riders?

17. Dean

Final call for proposals for the rulebook committee. Any other changes people would like to see?

18. ted

ted asshat

That Bez has to give me back number 11 based on my years with the club. He can have that crapass number 41.

I shouldn't even have had to bring this up again.

All in favour?

19. tt600

tt600 New Member

the meeting is tomorrow night? at the gillnetter,8pm?

20. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Thought it was 7pm?