Revised Rulebook Sections and FAQ

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Ryan Whittle, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Hello all, as Dean previously noted, the rule book committee met this afternoon and came to an agreement on some revised sections of the rule book.

Below is a cut and paste of the updated/more contentious sections that need clarification. We would encourage any of you able to attend Monday's meeting to thoroughly read the following sections and FAQ prior to attending the meeting. I have bolded the lines that seemed to be of most interest to those who posted on the previous thread as well as those that are significant change/clarification.

Recognizing that not all members can attend meetings, we request that if you have any questions to contact your rider representative (me in most cases) and I will post the question in a closed thread in the "ask the exec" section of the forums. The purpose of this is to encourage those who may not feel comfortable with having their question made public remain anonymous. This will also facilitate an easy to search list of questions while cutting down on the back and forth long drawn out debates that seem to go in circles.

Scott Borthwick will be posting a message shortly in connection with the process that the following changes will be made.

Chapter 3 – Classification of Riders
    3.1 There are three classifications of riders in WMRC promoted events; Novice, Graduated Novice and Expert. These classifications are meant to designate the difference between various riders’ abilities and experience, and hence make for fair and exciting competition.
    3.2 The Novice rider classification refers to first time racers. The Novice rider classification will be valid for a period of two years from the date that the license was first issued. If a Novice rider fails to graduate to graduated or expert status after this two year period then he/she may be required to retake a WMRC accredited race school and absorb all costs. Novice riders can advance to expert status after completing the following steps:
    To graduate out of the Novice class, riders must:
    I. Compete in and finish a minimum of 8 races. At the discretion of the competition committee this requirement may be altered.
    II. Complete ALL of the following volunteer requirements:
    1. Participate in either the setup or teardown of Airfence.
    2. Participate in at least one half WMRC race day as part of the race day team (set up the track, tear down the track, help Race Director/Referee, etc.).
    3. Corner work for a minimum of one complete race day or practice day.
    III. Upon graduation, continue to use a number in the 700 thru 900 series for a minimum of three race weekends, or until graduated to expert status.
    IV. Be observed by the Referee, Race Director, and any others designated by the competition committee, who will examine all aspects of the rider's racing conduct to determine whether his skill level and safe behavior are sufficient to grant entry into expert classes.
    V. Be observed by at least one of the designated WMRC expert instructors who participate in the regular novice practices for at least one full practice session. Said instructor(s) will examine all aspects of the rider's racing conduct to determine whether their skill level and safe behavior are sufficient to grant entry into expert classes. The burden shall be on the particular novice to ensure that he or she is so observed. The requirements of part IV and this part carry equal weight and both must be fulfilled to graduate from the novice class.
    VI. Complete a graduation form. This must be signed by the Referee and one of the instructors indicating the completion of all novice graduation requirements, and turned in to the registrar before the rider will be allowed to enter expert classes.
    VII. To be bumped to Graduated Novice Status for open novice class riders (600 Supersport Class machinery and higher), minimum lap times must be consistently below 1:22.00 during official WMRC Dry Events.
    VIII. If a Novice or Graduated Novice changes classification of motorcycles (eg. SV650 or 250 to an open novice class motorcycle), they will be required to continue as a Graduated Novice for a minimum of 3 races to be properly evaluated on the new machine.
    ** It is mandatory for all Novice racers to wear a high visibility vest at all times when riding on the track during a WMRC event. Vests will be provided by the WMRC at $20 per vest. All vests must be WMRC approved and consistent in color. Undamaged vests may be returned for money returned
    3.3 The Expert rider classification refers to riders with a high level of skill and experience. To advance from Graduated Novice to Expert status, 6 races must be completed at the Graduated Novice Level. All riders will be evaluated for status advancement at the end of each season and only under special circumstances will a rider be advanced in mid-season. The Executive and riders rep reserve the right to advance any rider after due consideration.
    3.4 Any rider who does not meet the preceding advancement requirements but wishes to be upgraded from Novice to Expert status may apply to their Rider Rep. and present his/her case to be judged on its own merit. As well, any rider slated for mandatory advancement may protest this change in license status by presenting evidence showing why he/she should remain at his/her current rider classification. All rider advancement will be judged by rider representatives.
    3.5 Every inquiry regarding a change in rider license classification will be reviewed individually and without prejudice by the WMRC Competition Committee.
    3.6 Any competitor who has not raced in 3 years will be required to pass a Race Checkout Session to determine suitability for racing and rider status. These Race Checkout Sessions will not be held on ‘Race Days’ but will be held on ‘Practice’ days or WCSS Track Days only. The rider must contact the executive and make arrangement to be viewed by a qualified official or instructor.
    3.7 Transitional Provision – Riders who competed as intermediate classification in 2012 or earlier will be deemed to be expert status for the 2013 season and beyond.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. Ryan Whittle

FAQ Related to Section 3

Q: I got was bumped to intermediate halfway through the year last year, what classification will I be in 2013?
    A: Pursuant to Section 3.7, you will be an expert level rider for 2013.

Q: I got was bumped to intermediate at the banquet last year (2012), what classification will I be in 2013?
    A: As you did not compete in any intermediate class races in 2012, you would be a Novice for 2013.

Q: In connection with the question above, would I be a regular novice or a graduated novice?
    A: The term "Graduated Novice" really only applies to racers competing on 600 Supersport eligible equipment and greater. So, if you ride a SV650, you will ride in the classes that an SV650 is eligible to compete in. If you ride a GSXR600, the competition committee would review your dry lap times from 2012 to determine if you meet the speed threshold for advancement to graduated novice. The competition committee will also solicit feedback from other expert level racers and raceday staff to help assess your skill level. You will also be checked out pursuant to section 3.2 (3)(V)

Q: Why do I have to jump through so many more hoops just because I'm on a 600? This time cutoff thing sounds like BS.
    A: The intent of the additional requirements is not to punish a certain group of riders, but rather the WMRC has a responsibility to ensure racers are not only safe, but prepared for the pace of riding open class machinery. It is not a matter of lappers being in the way, but rather the time cutoff was implemented to ensure there are not riders on track with expert level riders that have dangerously low corner speed relative to the rest of the competitors. The rule book committee feels as though this is not an issue with those riding slower machinery (SV650, Formula Classic etc.) as the competitiveness of the racers is slightly reduced (racers are in it more for the fun of riding), the pace of the riders is generally lower as well.

Q: What is the point of paragraph 3.2(3)(VIII)?
    A: The purpose of the paragraph is to ensure that a rider who upgrades his/her machinery from one year to the next is at a sufficiently high skill and experience level to safely compete in 600SS and above classes. The increase in power and responsiveness moving from an SV650 to a 600, 750 or even 1000cc machine can be immense. This provision is to protect riders from themselves who may have learned some overly aggressive habits (grabbing huge handfuls of throttle on a Ninja 250) can become projectiles on open class machinery.

3. Ryan Whittle

Chapter 7 – Competition Classes And Compositions
    7.1 Novice
    The purpose of this class is to give the beginning racer track experience under racing conditions.
    Trophy class. Open Novice Class scores as any other class would score.
    All types of racing motorcycles are allow provided they conform to the rules in Chapter 5.
    Middleweight Superbike, 650cc Supersport twins, 250 Cup and Formula Classic are allowed to run their respective classes instead of the open Novice class.
    Novices on 600 and bigger inline-4 bikes, as well as large CC twins are isolated to Novice-Open class. All other smaller bike Novices, run their own respective classes that their motorcycles are legal to compete in.
    2 10 lap races per day for Open Novice
    Novices are restricted to their machine appropriate class (250s in 250 Supersport, 650s in middleweight twins, etc).
    Maximum 88db.

7.4 Middleweight Superbike (Formerly Formula 2)
    Trophy class.
    250cc GP motorcycles.
    Up to 425cc multi cylinder, two stroke motorcycles.
    Up to 500cc twin cylinder, two stroke motorcycles.
    Up to 500cc multi cylinder, four stroke motorcycles.
    Up to 600cc 15 years old and older.
    DELETED - OPEN DISPLACEMENT >15 YEARS OLD
    Up to 748cc twin cylinder, four stroke motorcycles.
    Ducati 749 even though displacing 748cc NOT allowed
    Up to 900cc three cylinder, four stroke motorcycles with steel frames.
    Open twin cylinder, air cooled, two valve, four stroke motorcycles.
    Open single, two and four stroke.
    Open to all Formula Classic bikes .
    Maximum 88db.

7.5 600 Supersport, 7.6 Open Supersport, 7.8 Superbike
    TIME RESTRICTIONS DELETED. CLASS SPECIFIC BLACK FLAG PROCEDURES DELETED

7.11 Formula Ultra
    Lap times may not exceed 1:18.00. Riders not meeting this will not be allowed to start.

4. Ryan Whittle

Section 7 FAQ

Q: I am a new novice and I ride an SV650, what classes can I run and who do I run with in 2013?
    A: As a novice, you will ride in the classes that the SV650 is eligible. For example, you can ride in Middleweight Twins and Middleweight superbike. You will be riding with the expert riders in that class. You will wear a high visibility vest and have yellow number plates.

Q: In connection with the above, so you are saying that I don't compete in the novice class like I did in 2012?
    A: That is correct. For riders on equipment that is below 600ss there is no longer a class with just novices, you ride with the rest of your fellow racers based on the equipment you have

Q: I have a Ducati 748, who do I race with?
    A: This will be a rare occasion but should be addressed as the Ducati 748 is eligible for many different classes. You would have the option of riding in Middleweight superbike and sportsman, OR you can ask to be considered as an open class novice, in which case you will follow the provisions of a novice on a 600SS bike.

Q: I am a new novice and I ride a Yamaha R1, what classes can I run and who do I run with in 2013?
    A: As a new novice, you will ride in the open novice class. You will have 2 10 lap races each race day.

Q: I see that the Formula Ultra time cutoff is now 1:18 instead of 1:19, what's the deal with that? And why is there a time cutoff anyway?
    A: The time cutoff of 1:18 was chosen at 1:18 as it did not make sense for there to be a rider that could conceivably not breakout of sportsman, but be allowed to compete in the Formula Ultra class. Formula Ultra is the only WMRC class that runs a 15 lap race. It is conceivable that running a pace slower than 1:18 could result in riders getting lapped twice during the race. Further compounding the issue is that riders getting lapped for the second time will be very tired, creating a possibly unsafe situation.

Q: I see in the formula ultra rules that I am not allowed to exceed a 1:18. If I turn a lap slower than 1:18 will I get black flagged? For example, if my rear sprocket starts to fall apart, can I still complete the race?
    A: As noted above, the purpose of the time cutoff is to ensure that only riders of a sufficiently high skill level are allowed to enter the class. Only in such cases that the race director or referee deems that a rider is unsafe, will a black flag situation arise.

Q: How do all these time cutoffs get measured? Do I have to turn a 1:17 in morning practice to gain access to Formula Ultra?
    A: The purpose of the cutoff is not to have riders go out and try to set a hot lap to get into Formula Ultra. The purpose of the cutoff is to grant access to the class to riders who can consistently turn sub 1:18 lap times as measured by DBcom at official WMRC events.

Q: My girlfriend timed me at Troy's track day doing a 1:15. Can I run Formula Ultra?
    A: No, as noted above, a rider must be able to consistently lap below 1:18 as timed on dbcom by the WMRC. Times recorded by personal laptimers or friends/family will not be considered.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

Section 8? Section 8 FAQ?

Bylaws? Bylaws FAQ?

There were changes in these sections as far as i can tell, and i'd like to talk about them...

6. Ryan Whittle

I believe Dean had previously noted that the bylaws are as they were stated in the 2011 and 2012 rulebook.

With regards to Section 8:

8.13 Rear shocks and rear springs can be exchanged for aftermarket equipment.
    8.14 Linear shock links may be used in place of progressive shock links. – This rule is currently under review

Both of these rule changes are currently under review. Scott will address the membership in further detail at the meeting tonight and it will appear in the minutes, however as this change was proposed by a member of the executive and it directly impacts said member, the rules committee felt that it wasn't appropriate to approve or cancel the change without a vote from the general membership. Scott will outline the timing and procedure for voting on this special resolution.

7. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

Thanks for taking the time Ryan,however....NOVICES are not allowed in Sportsman.To answer the question "I am a novice on a SV650 where doe I race ?" The correct answer is Middleweight twins and Middleweight Superbike. Further examples, 250 Ninja/CBR 250 races in 250SS and Formula classic. A RZ350 in Formula Classic and Middleweight Superbike. If you are unclear about which classes to enter ask your rider rep.Sportsman is a class for experienced riders wishing to compete in a less competitive more "sporting"atmosphere ( I mean for fun) without the pressure of mixing it up with riders wishing to ride at a higher level of competition (You know ,the win it or bin it guys!) . The goal after all is to have a place for everyone to safely participate.

8. Ryan Whittle

Thanks for the clarification Kelly, although graduated novices may request to be allowed entry in to Sportsman.

9. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

No Problem Ryan.Did not want to muddy the issue with the Graduated Novice/performance committee part quite yet! I think it is better to lay out the basic structure first.There are always exceptions but lets start with the certainties.Once the 2013 rules are finalized I think everyone is going to be happy with the structure and uses of the Performance Committee.

10. Ryan Whittle

Sounds good Kelly. I'll edit the FAQ.

11. Simon

Simon New Member

Exhaust???????????