Race Dates?

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Georgie G, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

I certainly am enjoying the debates, it's nice to see some activity in here

2. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Current WMRC 2016 schedule

May 14 track day & school
    May 15 race round #1
    May 21 track day
    May 22 race round #2
    May 23 race round #3
    July 16 track day & school
    July 17 race round #4
    August 1 race round #5
    august 2 track day
    September 17 track day

- Not a conservative schedule trying to maximize race rounds
    - 3 race rounds in May with current low attendance is risky
    - Chances are there will be some rain in May which could also affect track day attendance/revenue
    - Monday May 23 race round could be a stretch
    - September 17 track day is a lot of effort for a single day event - track setup/tear down volunteers?
    - You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!!

WMRC 2016 dream schedule - Similar to Jay's suggestion

May 14 track day & school
    May 15 race round #1
    May 21 track day
    May 22 race round #2
    June 25 race round #3 WMRRA at the Ridge
    June 26 race round #4 WMRRA at the Ridge
    July 16 track day & school
    July 17 race round #5
    August 1 race round #6
    August 2 track day
    August 27 race round #7 WMRRA at pacific
    August 28 race round #8 WMRRA at pacific

- Cutting May 23 race round #3 and the September 17 track day (current schedule) deletes 2 potential loss dates
    - WMRRA race rounds compliment our schedule offering more racing
    - WMRRA rounds provide track variety with no financial downside for the WMRC
    - Our fast guys get to strut their stuff against the WMRRA fast guys
    - Our grid filler gets to race their grid filler instead of the clock by themselves
    - WMRC presence at WMRRA events may encourage a reciprocal arrangement
    - More race rounds would increase the cost of racing - especially in the US with the current exchange rate
    - Not everyone would be happy about points awarded at other tracks - this may average out over the season depending on events attended

Survey anyone???

3. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Something to discuss for future season. I am all for it but some won't like it, and I am sure that they have compelling reasons why. Simple fact is that the WMRRA adopted a similar strategy to provide variety and some of their race rounds (for points) are held at Portland on OMRRA race days. I would rather stay in Canada, but Edmonton seems like it is located 8 lightyears away whenever I bring that location up. Fingers crossed for Area 27, that it is not just sunshine being blown up my @$$ and that WMRC could hold a race round or two there.

4. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

I was proposing this as a future option using this year's dates as an example. I didn't think there would be much interest but it does demonstrate we don't have to be locked into shitty dates. It would be great if we had those dates in Canada and Area 27 could be our best bet, though being a private club I wouldn't hold my breath. Let's hope they want/need to rent their track and we can get suitable dates. It's still a fair drive, stinky hot during summer and smoky if they have forest fires like last year. The Island track might also be an option but the ferry cost would be ugly!

5. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Racing costs money. (paging Dr. Vu) Travel costs our members that race mission and come from the island already, mainlanders would have to just suck it up and pay to play. Lets look at things from how we could do it and how great it could be, instead of ...private track...smoke from forest fires etc.

6. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Yes racing is expensive, but it should be made as affordable as possible.

We have to commend our Island friends who are truly dedicated racers.

The good thing is there's options and the club can adapt accordingly based on what the membership wants.

Personally I'm fine with Mission and the track time there. The US does lose some appeal at a 30% premium. We just need people to show up and everything will be good. Individuals have lots of options for more track time and filling in the schedule gaps.