Race Dates?

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Georgie G, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Hello,

Just inquiring into whether or not the executive has made a decision on adding the Sept 18 date. This was discussed at the last meeting but haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks exec!
    George

2. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

I inquired with the sccbc, the 18th is not available.

3. nickdudziak

nickdudziak New Member

Crappy deal

4. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Race days are either break-even or subsidized due to poor racer turnout or attrition. The club should get more racers through the school and track days but this will take time. September race days are typically a significant loss regardless of the weather. It's probably best to save the funds to cover any losses due to bad weather on race or track days until the club has better turnout and more cash.

5. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

I have to agree with you Steve. Racer turn out has been dwindling and has been somewhat subsidized by our race school and track days. The only problem to this is, this is a not for profit club that has a membership I believe would like race more than 5 rounds. Personally there is less motivation for me to come out, prep two bikes, and race a five round season. I propose a compromise. Could we perhaps make the last track day tentative and see where the club is financially at or before round five. If we are doing well and can afford a loss, then I think we should change the last track day into a race day.

George

6. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

George, not a bad idea but the exec would have to decide if switching a scheduled track day to a race day is a viable option. They should know if financially possible after round 3. I think Jason said there could be some weekdays available but they are challenging to organize and attendance is questionable. I know track days are not racing but they do provide 5 more days of riding. I'm looking at just doing the track days because they are much better value than racing for my dollar. I was hoping for lower race fees this season to make racing more affordable and to attract new racers but also understand it might not make a difference.

7. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

As you all know I'm new to this president gig. Please tell me about how making financially irresponsible decisions will benefit the club.
    I will open registration for the entire year and I will open a registration for a race day on the September track day. If I get 25 paid riders at the cap I by June 1st we can race and only lose a little money.

8. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Personally I think that the current executive came up with a great schedule and plan for the year and I think it is completely justified to drop the September race round based on past attendance. It's something that the club struggles with every year, let's try something different for a change and see how it works out rather than automatically losing thousands of dollars.

Also, I would much rather have 5 race days and 5 track days riding with my friends (racers and trackday riders) at the WMRC than two race days and nothing else since that is the alternative.

9. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

The unfortunate reality is September race dates are a waste of club funds at this time.

10. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

The problem with September is, with our track layout, as soon as it rains in September, its not just a wet track, but a track that is wet with wet dead leaves.

I race and ride for fun, and even though I have rain tires, I often choose not to ride in the rain as falling and hurting myself can be a serious CLM for me.

11. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Sorry to add to the poo-poo nature of this question, but getting enough corner workers these last couple of years has always been a challenge. Getting enough people for a rainy September date is a bigger challenge, and historically we are always sweeping leaves off the track in between races to make sure it's safe, and doing that with a skeleton crew makes for a very long day for everyone. Just something to consider when dreaming of a 6 round race season ;)

12. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Just throwing this out there for the racers who would enjoy more rounds...

How about a round at another track? We could travel to Edmonton and race in June. Maybe we could make it a points scoring round for the 2016 WMRC championships?

13. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Or worse, leaves that are wet, but still alive!

;-)

14. StevieMac

StevieMac New Member

Edmonton doesn't look very safe to me and the reviews I heard from folks that went there last year seemed to confirm that.

We keep hearing WMRC racing is too expensive and now we want to add significant (or significantly more) travel expenses?

My race budget is pretty maxed out racing locally but that's me.

If I was racing for a WMRC championship and the guy behind me in the points can beat me simply because he can afford an out of town round that could be the nail in the coffin that sees me just racing PCMRC in the future.

15. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

A road trip is a great idea but it's a hell of a long drive hauling bikes and not cheap to do. Certainly have to give the EMRA guys lots of credit for making the trip to the coast to race with us.

The track didn't seem that bad but Spero, Ken and Bez would know best after racing there. I heard the track was made safer for CSBK and don't know if that's the standard EMRA track setup now?

I agree it would be unfair to award points for a round elsewhere unless everyone was on board with that.

16. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I always like to throw that idea out there whenever I hear a member asking about adding Mission race dates to the WMRC calendar. The cost to race at mission is high, and summer dates are not available. But some members would like to see the club spend money to have a race day that has historically been poorly attended. Why not travel instead?

17. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Personally, I'd rather drive south to the Ridge for a race. Awesome track and way closer than Edmonton.

18. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

All ideas should be welcomed and discussed re their merit... chances are some might fly.

Just to clarify, George politely asked about September and kinda got slammed which has the tendency to alienate people.

Personally, I like the challenging conditions in September but have to agree it's pretty sketchy at best and probably not worth the risk. A few of us ended up sliding on our butts because we exceeded our ability in slippery conditions. I blame those pesky dead leaves!

I vote for the Ridge too!

19. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

I think that Jason just answered George's question, it just brought up the larger issue of racing in September generally.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  20. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

June 25-26 WMRRA at the ridge, August 27-28 WMRRA at pacific, June 18-19 EMRA in edmonton, June 11-12 OMRRA in portland, Sept 24-25 OMRRA in portland. Maybe we could road trip one of these dates and race at another track, since there is no conflict with the WMRC schedule. It appears that members want more race dates and that we do not have that option from the landlords. It doesn't seem fair to force feed anyone, but maybe we can discuss for future seasons?