Race Dates?

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Ryan Whittle, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Any idea what our dates will be for 2015?

I'm hearing some rumours about very limited dates so thought I would see what's up.

Looks like the drag racers have their dates all picked. I'm guessing we won't get any July or August dates as the drag racers have 3 weekends on those 2 months and the SCCBC will probably want to race in the summer too.

http://missionraceway.com/schedule/printable-schedule/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Possible Race Dates – April 17,18,19, May 1, 2, 3, May 15, 16, 17 (proposed WCC). August 3, September 18, 19, 20

Of the dates made available to us these are the dates that are the most realisitc. We are still doing our best to try and improve the situation, somehow. Please note -We will not be taking all these dates. as well, it's very unlikely we will run in September again.
    We know that once again the dates are not perfect but we urge the membership to come out and support the club.

3. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I propose we take all of those dates and have a decent number of races. Seconded? :devil:

4. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

I actually agree with you, Dean. OMG!!!

5. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

OK then I change my mind, if you agree it must be a dumb idea. ;)

6. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

you guys think big eh.

Attached Files:

7. Ryan Whittle

Spec tire series! Mandatory tire changes! To ensure fair competition every competitor must run MR12, including in your generator. No pump gas allowed on site!

8. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I see where you're going with this comment. We'll name it "MSpeed's Dream Series". :D

9. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

When is the racing training course? I need to be licensed.

10. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

11. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

George, I check the site constantly to look for updates. Nothing for 2015 yet. Just need to get some good details- since I'm on the island every weekend over is 5-600$ for ferry and accommodation before any other racing/training costs. I realize it's slow season but love to plan ahead lol! :)

12. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

It is pretty safe to say that the West Coast days will very likely be close to our dates (ie, same weekend). We work closely with them on the schedule.

13. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

same dates as always, and it looks like we have May Long back, which is awesome.

April dates are usually too cold and wet, and the September dates are always a crap shoot. This past September, we had pretty nice weather and still the pits were empty.

Take them all! We can run a studded tire snow/rain series in April. Sadly, we are in a period of climate change, so we can expect extreme weather for the longest time. That can mean super hot and sunny in April, or more likely super rainy and monsoony (new word! Coined here first!).

Remember that the new system handles licensing, so prepare to use it for the bike show. That keeps a lot of manual work out of the system. It also prepares you to print out licenses that are scan-able.

14. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Good information thanks Dean.... where do you get the studded rain tires?

Have May dates usually been profitable for the club regardless of the weather?

The September 18, 19, 20 dates are earlier in the month which can make a big difference at that time of year - maybe less of a crap shoot? Our weather can be monsoony year round but September hasn't been too bad in recent years - would be good if we could make it work without losing money. Double points didn't work but maybe some sort of special event to attract more participants - expanded Taste of Racing program, racer training, track day, racing, invite the public to meet the racers and learn more about racing and have some special events for them to be more involved?

15. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

May dates always work for us and are usually profitable. People are excited to race again, so come and race. Sometimes even April dates get enough to break even. September has always been a loss, with only 2 or 3 years in 10 that we've broke even.

16. andre331

andre331 New Member

I think we should take both May dates and use august as a practice and two days in sept. I think the august day should be a practice or track day because hopefully the weather will be good and we can get lots of track day people to offset any losses due to weather on other days

17. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I hear allot of chatter about club "profit". Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the club loses money in April, then makes money in May at both weekends, then makes more in August, then loses some in September, all that really matters is that the club breaks even, no? I thought that technically, non-profit society's are not meant to hold large amounts of cash in the account. The club should not be run like a business trying to build a big account. Flame on. :dance:

18. Ryan Whittle

On a year over year basis, the club has basically been breakeven. We don't have "large amounts of cash" but we do have enough to cover the fixed costs for a few race days. We got ourselves in to a real pinch about 10 years ago when we were extremely tight on cash, bouncing rent cheques and asking for handouts to be able to host a banquet. Even with that we had no cash in the bank and a bunch of outstanding bills after there was a monsoon on the last race day.

I would agree with you if we had $100K in the bank, but we just don't have it.

19. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I suppose it's a catch 22, as I don't think non-profit groups are allowed to have over a specified amount of money in their accounts. Hopefully the new (and improved?) Promotions Team will have cheques coming in hand over fist! I think every member should take some initiative in regards to club promotions and aquiring club sponsorship. I realize the conflict of interest aspect to this, as racers love to have personal sponsorship too, not to mention the tracking of said funds and the transparency that is required in the clubs treasury reports with cash flying around. Could be a can-o-worms. If there are proposals available, I will hit up some Island shops and see if there's interest in sponsoring the 2015 series (once we have confirmed dates).

20. Ryan Whittle

I think you are confusing registered charities and not-for-profit organizations. While it's not an area that I practice in, IIRC there are restrictions on the amount that can be spent on certain expenses for a charity, and a certain percentage of donations that must be disbursed in a given period for charitable activities. I have never come across a restriction on having cash reserves on hand, if there was there would be a lot of nervous Strata Corporations, Social clubs and other not for profits!