question regarding swapping swing arms

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Amir1, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Amir1

Amir1 New Member

Hi guys,

Newbie here.

I'm looking for my first track bike and have my eye on a 2002 gsxr 600 with the front forks of a 2005 gsxr and the rear swing arm of a 2001 gsxr 1000.

From your guys experience can you tell me if this is an ok setup and if I'll have any problems on down the road?

Thanks
    Amir

2. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

I can't really see a reason why a previous owner swapped to the GSXR1000 swingarm , unless he thought the bracing on that swingarm " looked cool". The unbraced original GSXR600 swingarm is plenty rigid enough.
    Other than that , the only concern could be the possibly different shock linkage mounting points causing the handling to be different. Probably something that can be dialled in with a bit of testing if it is an issue.

3. Simon

Simon New Member

If setup correctly, you should be fine BUT your not supersport legal, so if your looking to be competative, then your going to get DQ'd alot if the racers complain. You can still race but you'll always finish last, :eek:

4. urquhart

urquhart New Member

there are plenty of 'normal' bikes available to buy and race around the club. I would recommend something that doesnt cause wonder to sink your money into.