Question for Mission

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by killahk, Jul 21, 2011.

1. killahk

killahk New Member

Hi guys.. couple of questions for you...

I finally have a track bike and have enjoyed 5 track days this year (Seattle and ORP) as well as taking Mike Sullivan's New Racer School.

Well my work schedule has changed and I am restricted in taking any weekday time off. (My original plan was to do as many trackdays as possible this year then look at novice racing next year)

Now that I can only make weekend events for the remainder of this year, I quickly realize that most of that are race events..

Am I screwed, or should I try to sneak in and be a back marker for a couple of events this year?

Ideally you guys will let me know of some open tracktime for bikes on weekends for the remainder of the year?? haha

Would my Sullivan certificate allow me to run in novice at Mission? I have never turned a wheel there before so definitely would be a bit hesistant..

anyhow.. A couple of random questions from me today.. Thanks in advance,

Joe (Victoria)

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Joe, you would need to obtain a novice license from WMRRA first, before we would grant your application for a novice license here. That's the only way to get on track for WMRC events, since we only hold races, and not trackdays. The only other trackday left this year is Monday August 22nd, which will be the last Mission event for non-license racers. The only other weekend event is September 24/25 for our final rounds.

If you get your novice license with WMRRA, you can race novice with us, for a $55 associate license fee. Next year, you'd be required to pay the standard $150 license fee if you wished to continue to race with us.

I really hope you join up with us! Note that if you are racing a Supermotard, many of those bikes have a VERY hard time passing our sound requirements. If you are going to be on a 600-750cc inline4 race bike, we do require stock exhausts as well.

3. killahk

killahk New Member

Hi Dean. I have a stock 01 gixxer 6 that Grant H. raced at Mission..

I will try and get my novice lic with WMRRA first then.

Thanks for that! Hopefully see you in 2012!

Joe

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Mel

Mel Road racer

And I have the other one! :D

Hope you can start up at Mission next year, Joe. It would be great to get another Islander to join the party! The WMRC is a fantastic group of people to race with, with lots of hard work from the executive, rider rep's, officials, scoring staff, etc. every race day.

Oh, and by the way, we have world-class (literally) corner marshals. :bow:

5. moeracing

moeracing New Member

Just so I understand this correctly, no matter where a race licence is obtained one has to take the WCSS course in order to race at a WMRC event. Or am I able to go south in the winter and take a full race course and then be eligibale to race at WMRC events. I have done a little searching and understand that if I am a club member from another track or race group I am eligable to be considered for novice class once I have been approved by the execs? I too just purchased an 02 GSXR600 track only bike. Also what is the cost of a race day in Novice for entry fees. Thanks Ross

6. killahk

killahk New Member

From what I understand, you can race Mission with a WMRRA licence. Just have to pay the membership / affiliate fees plus raceday fees..

Correct?

7. Mel

Mel Road racer

You are correct, sir!

8. moeracing

moeracing New Member

what if one goes to Star school or Keith Codes race school or anything south in the winter where it doesnt rain all 12 months of the year for crying out loud. also any comments on the cost of a novice race day? cheers

9. Dean

Keith Code, or Star School does not qualify for our race license. While those schools are very good (I've attended!), they do not cover the classroom stuff we need covered, nor do they cover the finer points of on track safety, launching, flags, safe passing, etc. You can take the WMRRA race school and get a WMRRA novice license, or the OMRRA race school and get an OMRRA Novice license, Edmonton's Race school and get an EMRA novice license, Calgary's race school (CMRA), etc. The school you take must let you join a club to get their novice license. If you take a WERA school, you have to get past your provisional status (3 or 4 WERA races) before you become a full novice, at which point you can race Novice with us.

We give many options, but sadly, neither Keigwins, Star, Superbike, etc are eligible for a race license with this club. WCSS is your best bet, and even though their race school is finished, you can take the ART school and arrange for a private school with them. I believe it costs close to the same as the full on race school anyway. Just because the official school is finished, doesn't mean they won't train you.

10. Dean

Oh, and cost of a Novice race day is $120 for 2 races, including medical fee. Track entry is another $10 on top of that. The rest is consumables, and those costs are up to you, and depending on which bike you choose to ride, etc.

11. Dean

and one final statement. IF you take the race course with WCSS, we throw in the $150 novice license. All other race schools will require you to pay the novice license fee.

12. moeracing

moeracing New Member

Thanks dean for clarifiying everything for me. I may just wait until the spring then and go from there should funds permit. thanks

13. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

This example points out a suggestion of how to build a club faster. If there is some way of streamlining into the novice class, we may be able to convert some spectators & Taste Of Racing participants into racers this season.

Mean while, see you out there next year moeracing / killahk !