only bill of sale?

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Randogg, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Randogg

Randogg New Member

i recently purchased my race bike from a very reliable person who i met through my family and i am a little concerned right now about what would happen if i tried to cross the border to race with my bike in the US. i only got a bill of sale written on a piece of paper for it and the previous owner bought it directly from kawasaki in toronto and all he got was a bill of sale written on a piece of paper. i am pretty sure my bike has a vin but i got no clue of the status what should i do to get it legally able to cross the border with out any headaches? thanks so much for all the info!:eek:

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

I think you will be ok, I too only have a bill of sale and I have been across the boarder several times. No one has even asked me to open the trailer.

3. nac.00

nac.00 New Member

I have the same thing, just a bill of sale written out. I also have the last registration papers for when the previous owner had the bike. I`ve been accorss nearly 10 times this season and thats always more than enought to satisfy canadian customs. The us side never cares.
    Maybe if you know the guy try to see if you can get the previous reg papers, though im sure you`ll be fine without.
    Neil

4. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

I called the boarder and got a y38 to prove that the bike is from canada, since then I've had no problem crossing the boarder.

5. vanilla18

vanilla18 New Member

do you need to take your bike to them to do that?

6. Simon

Simon New Member

I just had a bill of sale made up, I don't have registration papers for it.

7. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

:) The issue is very rarely if ever about going into the states with the bike. It is usually only a concern with Canadian Customs.

You can stop at the Canadian border with whatever proof of purchase you received and have the bike quickly inspected. Canadian Border Services will then provide you with a document certifying the bike as Canadian,

Tuck the paper in your wallet or glove box and the question is settled if you are ever asked for proof of origin,

It all took about 15 minutes max from pulling in to pulling out of Canada customs when I did mine at the truck crossing on Highway 15,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
    Blair