Novices in F118

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by Jesse16, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Jesse16

Jesse16 New Member

I know this has been brought up many times before, but I'm wondering what the plan is for novices this Sunday.

Last race day there was a shortage of newbies, so we were put into the F118/F115 class (F115 which I myself did not race, but other novice(s) did).
    Speaking for myself alone, the F118 race was the most intense, enjoyable, and valuable learning/racing experience I have had thus far with WMRC & racing in general.
    I can't quote anyone, but other novices I spoke to felt the same way as I did.

Racing against an essentially empty track on the May 22nd race day (where the only other 3 were a mile ahead) isn't exactly enjoyable. I'd rather just go to a track day.

The problem is, I'm sitting here quietly hoping that fewer novices show up, so we will be put into the larger F118/115 classes. This isn't exactly a mindset I'm happy about, but it is what it is. The experience is just that much better, and if I'm paying ~ the same to race, of course I'd prefer to do what is more "bang for my buck".

What I'm really hoping for is the novice races will run (assuming there are enough people), and novice riders that want to participate in F118 are given the chance.
    I know there are reasons why novices aren't (usually) allowed in F118, but it seems to me, at least, the more a person practices, the better they get. Therefore, barring any major safety concerns, of which I am not *aware* occurred during the last F118 race, should novices not be given the chance to compete in a more 'real' racing environment?

Not trying to kick the hornets nest, but it seems to me that if the club is really interested in retaining new racers, they really should be experiencing "racing", instead of trackdays with an announcer.

-- Don't get me wrong, I'm not *that* salty; I still had tons of fun on all days. However, I do believe that the novice experience could be made better, and maybe some discussion could at least provide more concrete reasons as to why things are the way they currently stand --

2. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Jesse, safety is of paramount importance to us. Modern 600cc+ inline fours are high performance machines and the novice open class exists so that new racers riding these machines are able learn their limits and work on their race craft in a safe environment rather than being turned loose on the general populace to learn.
    With that being said, i'm sorry to report that the plan this weekend is to return the novice grid as the assumption is that there will be new novice racers coming out of the school and these racers can't be put into F118 with no practical race experience. I'm glad that you enjoyed F118 last round, but please understand this was an exception to the rules. Put your time in, volunteer and prove you can safely race and you will be in there soon enough. If that's not acceptable, there are options to available to you that are spelled out within the rulebook. Personally I try my best to graduate racers as soon as reasonably possible while working within the rulebook -compared to previous years racers are graduated from novice more quickly in my opinion.

3. Jesse16

Jesse16 New Member

Well I can't really argue with that, I'd hate to be responsible for taking out a senior rider due to some kind of mess up on my end.

I guess I just got a taste of racing in a big "pack" and can't wait for more. Ideal situation of course would be to have a huge gang of new riders, since that would be best of both worlds.
    I do appreciate the bending of the rules to accommodate us novices last race, despite it being more risky for the more experienced riders.

Hopefully then next weekend we'll have a good turnout.

4. Edward

Edward New Member

That is the number one concern for me when doing any track or race day: taking out another rider. So far no incidents, knock-on-wood. Though I do have a habit of taking myself out. :p
    Yeah, the thrill of racing in a big pack is a rush when everyone is going as fast as they can. More so when you move up a few spots or keep pace with a 600.

5. Schoey

Schoey New Member

The quickest way to graduate novice is to not have any incidents period, alone, or with another rider. Novice is there to learn how to handle your bike safely and to prove to your rider rep and executive that you don't panic on the track, follow the safety rules, and have a consistent race line. Crashing doesn't help the cause.

6. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

As Rob said, be safe, predictable and practice what you were taught at race school to improve your skills. Racing beyond your ability, trashing your bike and yourself will result in a short racing career. However, there's a rumour that some experts are being sent back to novice to practice not crashing.