Novice Class Rules

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by Dean, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Erin Plummer

Erin Plummer New Member

Dean, in response to your statement on graduating novices too early based on rule minimums; I completely agree with you that the qualifications of each rider should be accessed on a case-by-case basis and the rule book used more as a guideline than gospel.
    Having raced 2 wheeled vehicles (mostly human powered) for nearly 3 decades now I have picked up a few experiences that might help our eager novice class riders reflect on their desire to be advanced as soon as possible:

1. Competing against people that are vastly more skilled, due to their experience level, is quite discouraging, typically leading to dropping out of the sport that you have spent so much time, effort, and money to get into.

2. Attempting to ride far in excess of your current skill level generally ends the day prematurely and badly for you (in a pack situation for everyone).

3. More heats = more fatigue, money, wear & tear on the bike, less time to recover /regroup between events. Mental sharpness is, IMHO, key to a good performance at our level.

4. Quality of you track time is much more important than just the quantity, see point 3, track days should be used to work on lines and bike setup not just ham-fisting the throttle for 6 sessions (guilty).

Sorry if I sound preachy and everyone should definitely work a program that is comfortable for them. Personally I’m not overly eager to advance until I can run mission like a F1 control driver @ 1:17

See you at the next round. Erin, Bike -811

2. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

I spent 500 bux! And I think the look of my bike reflects it!

And I don't really want to advance, I just want to run f-118. I would be last, but, hey, I enjoy the starts...

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Well said Erin, and our (the club's exec) sentiments exactly!

4. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Novice rep

Hi,

Who is the novice rep for 2012?

I need to ask a couple of questions about what I need to do to get back in the game.

Thanks,
    j