Noise testing 2013

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by *Jay*, Feb 1, 2013.

1. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

So the rule book states that aftermarket pipes will be allowed, and we still have a db limit. I don't want to turn this into a shit storm with the pros and cons of allowing the rule, its in there get over it (you know who you are).

I'll get to my point. I notice that WCSS has a track day before the first race weekend, do they have to follow the same sound limit WMRC does? I ask this specifically because I ran my KLX250 with a full open Muzzy system and no airbox lid at one of the WCSS track days and had no problems from any officials. I even made a point of taking a different line down the main straight while wfo for an entire session, and still no problem. My db meter tells me i am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the 88db limit with that bike, so what gives?

I have a full Muzzy exhaust with quiet core for my ZZR 250 that I will race this year, and I plan on bringing my stock system too. It would just be nice to know before raceday if the bike will pass sound.

Thank you.

2. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

As far as i know, WCSS has the same rules as the WMRC.

If your bike is over when you measure it, but still legal on the track, it could be due to many factors. Was there a wall behind, did you measure it in the garage? Sound bounces, reflects, amplifies/attenuates off surfaces, atmospheric conditions matter (dry/humid).

[ :cool: ]
    Not that I've tried this, but even the direction of the exhaust could influence it (theoretically). If you angle your exhaust towards the interior of the track and slightly upward, it should have a longer reflection path to Al's dB meter and thus more of a chance to lose amplitude before the meter reads it. Just make sure you just clear the concrete wall but not much farther upwards....
    [ / :cool: ]

3. 32vsnake

32vsnake New Member

I asked this question when I registered for track days and got the same answer... the track limit for bikes racing or doing track days is 90DB limit but aim for 88DB or lower

4. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

It was measured in the same manner that the provincial inspections are done at our shop, and it was done outdoors. I just thought it was interesting to note, and was wondering if indeed the WCSS trackdays have the same limits-and enforce those limits. Last year at least one of the 250 ninjas was running an open exhaust system that had no baffles in it whatsoever, and the rider only got 1 warning that he was very close to the limit. So I assume that if the exhaust has some kind of sound reduction component then it will pass. I just don't like to assume though.

My original intention was to run it stock, but since I also have a dual slip on set-up and a 2-into-1 full system as well, I thought I might try them out even for the weight savings.

The other thought I had regarding my ability to pass sound at the WCSS day was that I generally wasn't riding in a group of bikes. Am I wrong in thinking that I could pass on my own, but if a pack of the exact same machines went by the meter we might go over the limit? My real fear is that the first race of the year has half of the field meatballed during the race.

Anyone else on 250's planning on attending the trackday before the first race interested in hooking up to ride in a group pass the meter?

5. Hiener

Hiener New Member

I was running a zx11 pipe on my bike last year, got a warning in one of the last race, but nothing during the practise rounds. The systems on a 250 make a huge difference in terms of performance.

I've got a AreaP exhaust system, and fitted the zx pipe to meet the (must be stock exhaust off a bike rule), i'm reading the area-p website

The stock bike with stock pipe is 93db's @ 5000pm, these guys do alot of sound/exhaust testing, so I trust their numbers, stock bike shouldn't even pass. So something is off somewhere.

http://areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-2008.php

I'll be picking up the sound Attenuator, to see if that even passes. I'll try to test it out to see if what "levels" it produces at mission.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  6. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

Sound readings are for individual bikes at WCSS and WMRC events. Groups of bikes will be louder. Besides, how do you pick the loud bike out of a group? That's also why there's lots and lots of speakers at rock concerts; one speaker wouldn't be loud enough.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

a little history.We the motorcycles caused so many noise complaints that only through the implementing of the 88db and muffler rule were we allowed to continue to race at Mission.

There is an erroneous believe that there is "safety in numbers" .The official word back in the day(before the 88db/pipe rules) was ,If a group of bikes is over the limit the whole group is to be pulled or the race/practice ended.This is a great example of the latitude we have gained by having (through current rules) a very low overall sound level.And yes I have black flagged a whole practice session,thankfully just as the track owner was coming to do the same.He was not happy about the sound level BUT very happy with us following their rules and procedures.

My bike passed at a track day,the last race,in my garage etc...Good for you.However many of you need to thank all the people that have followed the rules/made their bikes as quiet as possible.It is a fact that our overall "quietness" as led to a certain laxity about sound issues.In other words .By being good quiet neighbours we have earned some latitude.Your bike possibly passed because the overall level was so low that the sound metering was sporadic or non existent.

When our overall sound level rises and complaints return I am sure many of the old rules and procedures will return.How many remember that we used to have to keep and submit a sound log of each and every lap for every machine?Who wants that job?If a group was over loud and individual numbers were unavailable the whole group had to be stopped.How about no more warnings at track exit but black flags in the middle of races?Don't remember the last time that happened but it used to be very common.

Lastly if you just gotta use a full race system a few points to remember:
    - race muffler packing degrades keep it freshly packed
    -speed equals noise, turning 1:24's probably going to be ok same bike same muffler at 1:17's will be louder My SV famously went from 94db(the old limit)to 102db with a fast pro rider on the same day.I did 1:24's Ken did 1:17's
    -temperature and cloud cover do have a effect on the meter readings.Try to sound proof everything on the bike,make it as quiet as possible to give yourself a cushion should there be any fluctuation."BUT I PASSED LAST TIME" IS AN EXCUSE.This is about YES and NO .Yes it is quiet, carry on and have fun.No it is not, go away.
    -Sound meters at our level are notoriously imprecise.Build in a cushion to allow for this.Arguing the finer point of the science can be fun BUT will not change the outcome.Blow over on that meter at that time and place and you should be prepared for a short race or practice.
    -ask yourself if a race muffler will really make any difference to your lap times.How about a little honesty here?My CBR250 doesn't even register on the Mission meter but I know more noise will not make me faster(it's a power to weight issue!)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Something to consider when looking at reducing noise as well is to not automatically assume the exhaust/muffler is the loudest part of the bike. My SV dropped 3 db by installing an airbox with dynamat lined on the inside. The SV flatslides can be quite loud.

For aftermarket exhaust systems, the tubing is quite a bit thinner than the OEM tubing (to reduce weight), however this tends to induce some resonance which increases the db reading. wrapping the tubing in exhaust wrap helps reduce the resonance. Wrapping the inside of the fairings also helps in absorbing some noise.

For those that do run aftermarket systems, the stinger style diffusers seem to work very well.

10. jcathie

jcathie Member

This article might still be germane to the matter at hand.

11. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Sounds like I am going to run the stock dual muffler set up and avoid all the issues relating to noise.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  12. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 New Member

hello, new to the forum, am looking to get my bike ready for the WCC rounds in april. I have a 07 R6 and just want to see what other people are running on this particular bike. straight up stock exhaust, which i have heard has issues with race body work? if so what was done to fit?
    or which can on the end of a full system, with or without silencer has worked for you guys to keep the noise acceptable?
    im pretty sure my leo vince sbk may be too loud to play.
    also which silencers are you using if you are using them?

thank you all for the help, looking forward to racing with you all on your home track!

Shane Fraser EMRA #35

13. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Shane, a lot of us are using a full system, minus the can. It us usually fairly easy to adapt the stock muffler onto the aftermarket header and mid pipe. This should also help with bodywork fitment issues as you can place the muffler where you need it for clearance (to some degree).

14. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 New Member

Thanks Jayson. I wasnt too sure as the stock can on the 06+ R6 does not appear to be any more restrictive than the leo can. i believe the R6 gets most of its muffling out of the box before the can. which is eliminated with a full system

15. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

Maybe one of the Yamaha guys can jump in on this.If the stock system uses a large collector for baffling and catalytic placement with the "muffler" being more of an outlet then that stock "muffler" is not going to quiet down the machine with a full race header enough for mission.To allow the use of race fuel previous racers with that style exhaust would gut the catalytic element and replace removed baffling to maintain back pressure.The silencing was/is primarily in the box.Look down the stock outlet.Is it baffled?Can you see all the way through it?Suggest you graft on a muffler from a machine that normally houses all baffling/cat element inside said muffler.A good example being 05ish GSXR 1000 cans.Flows plenty of power but contains enough mechanical baffling to allow most machines to pass sound limit.Any Yamaha guys have any input?

16. amartin

amartin Member

The best r6 setup is a late model gsxr 600/750 can mated to an aftermarket header. Doesn't require any custom brackets like the 1k setups do.

If you're only doing the wcc round just run race gas thru your stocker and throw it out when the cat melts. You can ebay stockers for less than $50, a drop in the bucket compared to the other consumables.

Or just run your bike stock on pump. After all these guys blow over with their aftermarket systems or dnf because their backyard-bob setups fail, you can cruise into a podium spot and get a trophy.

17. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Really good call Austen.

Shane, try to get a hold of Rob Darlington from CMRA. He races a 2008 R6 and makes sound at Mission. If you do decide to MacGyver something on to your bike, make sure it is very secure and doesn't leak at the joint.

18. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 New Member

thanks everyone for the input, and why i didnt think to ask rob in the first place! lol

19. adam0289

adam0289 New Member

thanks backyard-bob

20. Keith Robinson

Keith Robinson New Member

A quick note from a former SCCBC Track Manager; there has been no change in the db limits allowed at Mission Raceway and if you 'blow over' you will be black flagged. If you have at some time ridden a noisey motorcylce at MRP and 'got away with it' then consider you have been lucky. Don't ruin your fun at the track with a noisey motorcycle; track record holders are all under the limit so you have no excuse.
    I have in the past black flagged Kenny Lalonde (ask him) so I will certainly take any other riders off the track who break the rule.
    Hope you all have a great race season; you have lots of good race dates this year!