Ninja 250 and racing

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by Reckless, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Hello everybody, I am new to the forum and would like to ask some questions. Some I am sure will be stupid but I am hoping some won't be.
    First off my name is Angus and I was lucky enough to win the Ninja 250 that was the grand prize at the Daytona party fundraiser for Children's Hospital earlier this year.
    Thanks again to Bernie and Burnaby Kawasaki.
    Everybody there wanted to know what I was going to do with the bike and everybody said that I should race it. So here I am.
    I have done one of the Pitt Meadows track days on the bike and had a great time. Thanks Nancy for organizing that.
    So I guess track days at the track and racing come next.
    OK, questions.
    I can find very little information on a Ninja 250 race class on the forum other than it being mentioned in the minutes as happening this year. Am I just looking in the wrong area? Is there a class this year? What rules would apply to it? Ninja 250 cup rules or the clubs own?
    I would be starting as a novice so assuming I get a race school done and can qualify as a novice I am understanding that if the bike I have qualifies for another class, (twins etc) that I could ride it or novice. My choice? Yes or no?
    Other than safety wiring and decent tires is there anything I should do to the bike to have fun at the track?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any answers.

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

The 250 race class is a proposed reality. We need a minimum of 8 confirmed racers to create the class. However, it looks good at these initial stages, so chances are, by next season, you will be able to race it in its own spec class. We are still working out the details of the class, but it will be minimal for tech. Safety wire it, and your good to go. You don't need race fairings or anything else.

You need to take race school, and sadly, the only race school of the season is ending tomorrow, so you have missed this years opportunity to get your race license.

In your first year of racing you can either choose to race the Novice class, or since you are on a very limited horsepower bike, you can race the 250 spec class instead. you can only enter 1 class on your novice year per race day. Once you graduate to Intermediate status, you can race your bike in whichever classes that it qualifies for. With that said, you will find that the Ninja 250 only really will be competitive in the 250 class. All other classes will have such a great speed differential that it might actually be dangerous for you to be in other classes like Twins. Twins run with bikes such as, RC51, Ducati 1098 and 1198s, Buell 1125R, SV650s, etc. There is no way that bike can keep up in that class.

The beauty of the 250 class is that it is a spec class. All the bikes are the same, so it's up to the rider to make it fast. That takes skill, courage, and sometimes a little bit of luck to come out on top. It's great racing that is economical.

This friday is a trackday hosted by West Coast Superbike School. Gates open at 7am and we ride from 9 am to 4 pm.

3. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

I love to see as many riders as possible go through the WCSS race course, and Dean is correct you have missed their only course for this year. However, if you are set on getting your license this year, you may take a course with another approved race school, available in Edmonton, Calgary or one of the race school for the US. Just make sure that it is a true learn to race school and not just a glorified track day.

4. JasonG

JasonG New Member

Go here, next class , May 13th..
    http://www.sullivanraceschool.com/class.htm
    This guys a legend in the NW, and all around cool guy. Just retired from racing last year.

As far as the 250 ninja class goes, Kawasaki is gung-ho if there are enough riders, and someone actually takes the reins to make it happen. Do all the grind work and bring something to their table.

I would love to see this class happen. I should get my ass in gear and do something about it...

5. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

Bet you the 250 would give some small displacement vintage bikes a run for their money. Toss that rulebook out. The Ninja 250's can come race with us :) Or on a more serious note, if they do get their own class maybe we should think about pooling the vintage guys with the 250's instead of F118. Just a thought.

/alex

6. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Thanks for all the info everybody. Glad to hear that a 250 class is in the works.
    Not too worried about missing the local race licence classes this year. I wasn't thinking of racing at all this year until I got the bike. Buying a house and other things had messed up the "fun" bank account a lot.
    I can do track days, help out at the track and have fun while getting things figured out for next year and the 250 cup racing.

7. Marquise

Marquise New Member

Ninja 250 class

I hope they do make a 250 class because it's a fun bike on the twisties but on the straightaway it's pretty slow compared to the 600's and the like. In Europe the 125 and 250 cc classes are HUGE, wish we had more of the like out here.

8. Graham

Graham Dyno operator/Racer

what classes can a CRF250 engine run in ????

would the stock moriwaki fit into stock 250 class

would like to figure out the best one to put my bike in

It is a 250 ..... four stroke ..... stock GSXR1000 muffler

only disadvantage..... Hmmm rider weight more than bike weight

9. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Graham, let me give it some thought and I will get back to you. Kawasaki had wanted a Ninja 250 cup to promote the bike. Perhaps if there is enough interest an additional Lightweight Superbike class could be created? Maybe something that would group Ninja 250's, with 4-stroke singles?

Just tossing out ideas as a racer, not in an official WMRC capacity :)

10. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Just looking back over some of the posts from last year and I want to thank the WMRC and the executive for helping me feel welcome and for helping organize a 250 class and make it a reality for 2011.
    Looking forward to getting out on the track and having fun.

11. overdraft

overdraft too slow to race

so, can i bring over a honda cbr250r and run in this class?

12. Dean

Yes you can!

13. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

I wonder if all the Ninja 250 riders that intend to race could sign in here with a bio.

I would love to see profiles on all the new... ninjas? Seriously. I wish I had a 250. I might soon..:)

14. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Hey Dasein what do you want to know?

The bike:
    2008 Ninja 250R from Burnaby Kawasaki and Bernie's Daytona party.
    Flexiglass bodywork and paint from Trevor in Langley. Thanks for the great colour match Trevor.
    Sato frame sliders from a BC Sportbike member.
    Braided front brake line, new front brake pads, and Bridgestone BT 003 tires from Burnaby Kawasaki.

The rider:
    40 something overweight motorcycle rider who used to race motocross, cross-country and compete in trials. Soon to be a graduate of the WCSS racer training school.
    Leathers from TAP moto bought used from WMRC member.

15. overdraft

what's the prep? i can't find anything in the rule book...

nm, found it!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  16. overdraft

new questions... don't need a belly pan? can i run with the light package on? what, if anything needs to be safety wired?

17. Dean

Standard safety wiring to pass tech - Yes
    Belly Pan - No
    Light Package - must be removed, but can run with open holes in bodywork

18. overdraft

Thanks Dean! Now if the damn bikes would show up Ill see if I can put something together...

19. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Bike here yet?

20. overdraft

nope... honda's only 3 years late with it's step up bike for the CBR125... we sold more 250 ninja's off the back of that bike!