Moving my Bike to Edmonton

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Debbie, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Debbie

Debbie New Member

As most WMRC people know, I am moving to Edmonton next month.
    Lucky me, get to move in the dead of winter.
    How do I get my bike there? Will movers put it in the truck? Do I have to get a shop to crate it?
    I'm hoping the movers can take my car too, as I am quite terrified to drive it across the mountains.

Does anyone know a moving company they can recommend?

Thanks for any info.

2. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

You could post your shipping requirements on http://www.uship.com/ca/ to get some quotes. I used the following company to ship a bike from that site a few years ago for a reasonable price. If still in business they could probably take your car on the same truck. It was in the middle of winter and there were delays due to weather but my bike arrived in one piece.

0820527 BC Ltd.
    6714 Fawn Creek Rd. C-45 RR#1
    Lone Butte BC V0K 1X0
    Ph 1-250-395-2007 Fax 1-250-395-8812

If you ship your bike on an open trailer make sure it is properly crated and covered with plastic in the crate. I shipped my bike on a flat deck and the crate was covered in dirt and salt and the tie downs had come loose... fortunately no damage. It would be best if your bike was strapped to a pallet and shipped in a covered moving truck with your household stuff. You need to ask the mover if they can load/unload your bike if crated. Make sure you are dealing with an insured mover who isn't planning to steal your bike.

Good luck with your move.

3. Debbie

Debbie New Member

Thank-you. Funny coincidence, my late sister used to live on Fawn Creek Road.

4. Jason Henton

Jason Henton New Member

Not sure if a standard moving company would allow a fuel tank inside of one of their trucks. International Motorsports ships alot of bikes, talk to them and see who they use, they might even have a crate for you...

5. jcathie

jcathie Member

They do. Years ago they filled a New Yorker with boxes and drove it up into the moving van.

6. Debbie

Debbie New Member

I've got three moving companies coming over to do quotes. we will see who does what. Hope I get a Christmas bonus, I can see this being pricey

7. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

If someone could make you a skid that you can tie the bike down to (4x4s, bolts and eyelets), it just needs to be done somewhere that has a fork lift. With a circular saw and the right parts, 2 hours. Fork it on, 2 skid spots worth, ship as normal freight.