Moldy Oldies

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by jcathie, Feb 4, 2012.

1. jcathie

jcathie Member

Found this while doing some cleaning and purging of a book shelf. I know it was at one of the Westwood Nationals, but not sure which year. It was the year Larry Taylor got a bike from Honda, then the week after the National supposedly they called him and told him they wanted it back because whoever authorized the sponsorship wasn't authorized to authorize it.

I recall talking to another photographer that was behind the tire wall and he felt the wind of the bike going past his ear when he ducked down.

Attached Files:

2. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

Cool shots. Shot on good old "film". Last week I had to explain to my son what "film" is.

3. kingston

kingston New Member

I was there and watched that happen

I was there and watched that happen. The rider started to lose the front end braking hard for the hairpin and he released the brake just before he dumped it, the bike snapped back straight and spit him off the back. The amazing part was the bike came out of it undamaged. You see it launched off a small mound of sand off the end of the hairpin, over the tire wall and into the stand of skinny poplar trees. And there it sat, on it's wheels, with nothing but some green bark marks on it's fairing. Imagine crashing at over 120mph and your bike comes out unscathed. I do'nt know how the rider did though.
    I think they had color film back in those days did they not jcathie.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  4. jcathie

jcathie Member

Yeah, they had color film back in the dark ages but I specialized in black and white darkroom work, hence what we have here. Besides, I was big on providing fodder for the programs and posters which were only using black and white photos.

I didn't know the bike was relatively unscathed when it was all over. That is truly amazing and fortuitous. I think the rider walked away.

5. kingston

kingston New Member

A good sequence of photo's that brings back memories. Bernie may think the good old days were a few years ago, but we know they were a few decades ago. I remember getting out broke many times into that hairpin by Lalonde and Crevier. But i got to drive around Crevier once laying on ground in the middle of the hairpin. He had tried to pass both ken and myself on the last lap braking for the hairpin.He passed us with his rear wheel in the air all the way to the corner, and still tried to make the turn with that wheel in the air. To this day he swears he could have made that corner. Anyway do you have more of those 1980's photo's.

6. jcathie

jcathie Member

Remember Steve going off in Turn 2 into the all the alder saplings time and time again? It took him a long, long time to finally figure out his braking point there.

I know I have a sequence of Jamie Dick's Gamma destroying itself in Turn 3A. I mentioned it to Jamie at the bike show this year and he wants a set of prints (these were on colour film), but I haven't found it just yet. When I told Alice McPherson what I had, she didn't want it for the program because she thought maybe Jamie had been badly hurt. I showed her the photos and she ran them in the National program and someone took a pile of them to the Calgary National to hand out, so he was famous even before the top riders made it out to Westwood.

I definitely made a mark of getting the crash and burn pictures back then. I did it again at Laguna Seca in 2003 when I got the 'money' shot of Kurtis Roberts taking out Jason DiSalvo's rear tire at Turn 5. I turned around to all the "pro" photographers behind me and asked if any of them got the picture. None had because they all had their cameras down by their waist. I offered to sell them the film but nobody took me up on it.

I'm in the process of doing a Spring Cleaning so I'll keep an eye out for more Westwood gems.

7. Mel

Mel Road racer

Am I crazy or just a typical racer when I say I'd gladly suffer a broken bone to see my bike come out of a 120 mph crash undamaged?:D

8. kingston

kingston New Member

Ya, i'm with you Mel, your just a typical racer. But i'll tell you, i'd rather have a written off bike, then what i went through last may. Many people thought i was crazy for coming back to race after that. But i guess i'm just a typical racer, and my mid-life crisis was between the ages of 27 to 52, not racing anything but mario-cart with my grandson.

9. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

I have a memory of them pushing the VFR out of the trees well down the road from the hairpin.It was the most amazing crash I've ever seen and yes the photog on the outside of the hairpin really did duck,it was that close.

10. Mel

Mel Road racer

Randy, I count myself fortunate not to have ever had a crash like you suffered last year. That was an instance where a written-off bike would definitely have been your first choice.:(

11. Dr. Domino

Dr. Domino New Member

Ah yes, I remember the levitating VFR.

12. ted

ted asshat

Anyone remember the VFR750 crash at the entrance to the pits where the rider hit the fence/barrels? It was a 750 prod race and my memory is a little off but I was slightly behind and to the right of this big bodybuilder who was on the bike when he drifted to the left and impacted whatever was at the edge of the exit. I remember that bike exploding and riding through the fibreglass shrapnel as I went by. I thought the guy had died and when I got back to the pits and went to find out what happened all he had done was cut and bandage his arm. I wonder if anyone got a shot of that one.

We could use a separate thread just for some of our crash stories from the old track. Sean's Hurricane tossage by the tower ring a bell?..................

13. Dr. Domino

Dr. Domino New Member

Your memory is off from all the lip stands you did off of your gamma dude!