Mel Gantly # 723

Discussion in 'Rider Profiles' started by Bernie32, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

Name: Mel Gantly
    Birthday: Nov 3rd
    Place of Birth: Ottawa, ON
    Race Bike(s): ?97 Suzuki GSX-R600
    WMRC #: 723
    Other numbers: n/a
    Sponsors: Action Motorcycles
    Years riding: 21
    Years racing: best part of 3 seasons (spread out over the years?)
    Why I started road racing: realized public roads weren?t really the place to push a sportbike to its limits, plus I?d always loved watching racing and wanted to give it a try myself.
    My parents think? (Of me racing): cautiously supportive, but have never come to watch (Mom passed away but Dad might make it one of my races this season).
    Favorite motorcycle racer: the late, great Joey Dunlop
    Favorite piece of track: Turn 2
    Part of the track I hate the most: Turn 3
    Do you prefer Race days or Track days: race days
    Funniest track moment: Missing both heat races at Round 1 chasing down what I thought was an electrical problem, only to discover too late that I was only out of gas? well, it wasn?t funny at the time, but I can laugh about it now.
    Scariest track moment: Clipping another rider in Turn 1 at Pacific Raceways on first lap of a race in the rain in ?93. I thought we were both going to hit the deck but we stayed up and kept going.
    Favorite food: my wife?s lasagna
    I really dislike (General race wise): being slow / small budget
    I think this would help at Mission: Hard to say, as I think the club has worked so hard to make the track safer each year. Hopefully we can keep adding Airfence to cover up the rest of those concrete walls.
    Are you superstitious and how: No superstitions with regards to racing.
    The hardest part about racing is: The money, time and work required to get to the track in the first place.
    I prefer this track condition: overcast but dry
    The best thing I bought was: an inexpensive track bike
    The worst thing I bought was: exhaust wrap, but only because my bike turned out to be quiet enough at Mission without it.
    Goal this year: complete Novice requirements and graduate to Intermediate.
    Favorite piece of gear: Joe Rocket leathers and gloves
    Who has helped you the most in your racing: Steve O?Toole
    What do you think you bring out more spectators: Greater presence in local businesses and schools, with race bike displays and racer info sessions, etc.
    What do you think would bring out more racers: same as above
    If money wasn?t an issue I?d buy this bike: ?89 Honda RVF750, ?93 Ducati 888 SPO
    If money wasn?t an issue I?d buy this tool: tire changer
    If you could ride a Motogp track it would be: Probably Phillip Island, but my ultimate track ride would be the Isle of Man TT Mountain Course.
    If I could race another class other than what I do now, it would be: 600 SS or Open Twins
    About racing (My friends would say I?): My motorcycling friends say, ?Good for you,? but my non-racing friends say, ?I never imagined you doing something like that!?
    Short Bio: Have a day job but am also a contributing writer for Cycle Canada magazine on the side. Future goals include racing at the Isle of Man and having the screenplay I?m working on get produced. Also love playing guitar (was ?Angus? in an AC/DC cover band back in my university days.

2. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

I think I can now officially change my 'scariest moment' to losing a brake pad on the front straight and having to downshift and stand on the back brake to make it through the dipsy-doodle tire chicane in the runoff between Turns 1 and 3...:eek:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. andyb

andyb New Member

So Mel,

How did you "lose" your brake pad:eek:

4. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

:needpics:

5. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Bad prep on my part allowed the pin to work itself out and the pad to fall out. I've since re-done it correctly so there's no way it's coming out again. Lesson learned.

6. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

If anyone has some, I'd love to see them... I'll take a look and see what I have on computer.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

Mel, Photos and videos (thumper8) has a pic of you, sweet buddy.

8. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Thanks Rusty, I came across that earlier today and am just so impressed with Tony's photography skills (and he makes me look faster than I really am:D).

9. robert

robert non member

The one and only.

Attached Files:

• mel.jpg
      mel.jpg
      File size:
      364.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Thanks Robert, and thanks to Tony for the great photography (I'll be buying a print or two from you!).

Hope I can get my bike running again to get back out there on July 1st. I really want to keep lowering my lap times and get my 8 finishes to graduate to Intermediate, so fingers crossed...

11. FallDownFrank

FallDownFrank New Member

PFFFFTTTT!........you guys still using "BRAKES" out there????
    They just slow ya down!..........

12. TommyO

TommyO Daytonut

That's not ALL that'll slow ya' down!!..........Just leave your bike in "someone's" shop collecting a huge wad of dust and you'll NEED a 750 just to keep up with the 600's, eh Frank!??!!....:eek::devil::p;) .....LOL

13. Geoff Klassen

Geoff Klassen Kamloops B.C.

I wanna see a pic of the other side of the bike so I can see that beauty of a muffler in action! :D

14. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Gladly, for the man who so graciously supplied said muffler to me for free!

Thanks again, Geoff (and thanks to Lorne Vogt for the action shot; the one in the pits was taken with my crappy cell phone).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  15. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

My number is now 729 but everything else is pretty much the same. I'm really looking forward to seeing you all at the Aug 14/15 doubleheader. My main goal is to get 4 finishes in 4 races to creep ever closer to Intermediate status.
    :)

16. tt600

tt600 New Member

It will be nice to see ya make it out mel.....

17. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Thanks, Lu! It will be great to catch up with all my WMRC friends (speaking of "catching up," that's probably what I'll be trying to do in my races all weekend.:rolleyes:)

18. MadManx

MadManx Living a dream

Hey Mel!

[​IMG]

19. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Hey Tony! Yes, it would appear I'm back in action this coming weekend, and fingers crossed weather will be as good as they say it will.

20. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Now #29 Intermediate.

Thanks to Bernie, Bez, Gail and the race reg'n folks for making the bump-up happen for me last weekend, and thanks for everyone in the club for their congrats and continued support.
    :bow::wmrc: