Meeting Minutes from November 19, 2012

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by G-Force, Nov 22, 2012.

1. G-Force

G-Force New Member

MINUTES

WMRC
    General Meeting
    November 19, 2012 at 8:00 p.m.
    Gillnetter Pub, Port Coquitlam, BC

IN ATTENDANCE:
    Scott Borthwick, President
    Ken Lalonde, Vice President
    Jason Lynch, Treasurer
    Gio Acchione, Secretary
    Dean Drolet, Past President
    18 members

1. CALL TO ORDER

President Scott Borthwick called the meeting to order at 8:03 p.m.

2. MINUTES

The Minutes from the WMRC AGM held on October 15, 2012 were reviewed at the meeting.

The Agenda for future meetings will be posted on the WMRC web site.

3. OLD BUSINESS
    a. Ambulance Service

Last year, WMRC used Life Support for its ambulance service. Other options include: BC Ambulance, and Triple A First Aid.

BC Ambulance offers Advanced Life Support Certified paramedics, which means they have the specialized equipment, they have medication and they can provide that medication, and they can make hospital transfers. Two paramedics would be on site; one with advanced life support and one with a lesser accreditation (depending on who is available). If BC Ambulance is contracted to the WMRC for the day, they will only leave the track if the WMRC requests them to transfer the injured party; otherwise they call an ambulance while they are attending to the injury. The after tax cost is about $1664 per day.

Life Support provides the same type of service as BC Ambulance; however, they are not certified paramedics. The after tax cost is about $1491 per day (this includes $148 discount).

Triple A First Aid supply an ambulance and two emergency medical responders (Level 3 First Aid), but they do not have the same equipment and medications that the BC Ambulance service provides. The after tax cost is about $1112 per day.

Minutes
    WMRC
    Meeting of November 19, 2012
    Page 2 of 3

In the past, the WMRC utilized the BC Ambulance Service until they went on strike and the WMRC was left without ambulance service. Life Support has been used for the past three years.

Every racer currently pays $35 to cover the costs of the ambulance service. If BC Ambulance Service is the chosen ambulance service, the cost to the racers may increase.

The Executive will collect additional information to determine the specific differences in service between BC Ambulance and Life Support.

4. NEW BUSINESS
    a. Vancouver Motorcycle Show 2013
    i. West Coast Superbike School (WCSS) / WMRC

The WMRC will share a booth with the WCSS in booth #108 in the first building. The members were asked to look for any WMRC banners that may be out there that could be used in the booth.

The Promotions team will explore multiple levels of sponsorship from manufacturers / local dealers to create a new WMRC banner that will include the sponsor’s logos.

The Promotions team will purchase hoodies, t-shirts, lanyards and hats (nothing in the colour white) with both new and old logos that will be available for sale at the Show.

Volunteers will be required to work the Show.

Further information will be provided on the WMRC web site.

b. Sports Car Club Meeting

Dean Drolet, Ken Lalonde, Gail Lalonde and Bez Cajee attended the previous Sports Car Club meeting. The Custom Car Club has their tentative dates and the WMRC should be able to have their tentative dates by mid-December. Every weekend in July is already booked.

All members were encouraged to attend the next Car Club meeting, which is in January.

President Scott Borthwick will contact Tim Roche, the Track Booking Manager of the Sports Car Club, to introduce himself and discuss race dates for 2013.

c. Other Business

i) Individual racers need to figure out a way to get their motorcycle into the Vancouver Motorcycle Show (i.e. shop owners, manufacturers, etc.). Honda Canada has

Minutes
    WMRC
    Meeting of November 19, 2012
    Page 2 of 3

committed to displaying three bikes (all 250Rs) in their booth, and Kimpex has committed to displaying one bike (250R) in their booth.
    ii) Race dates: regardless of how many dates we get, it is important to positively promote the date(s).
    iii) Rules Committee: the Committee was organized according to the Rule Book. The Executive appointed a Chair for the Rules Committee and the Committee included Members chosen from the list of people who signed their name at the AGM as well as the 2012 Rider Reps. The Rules Committee included: Ken Lalonde, Kelly Bell, Bez Cajee, Ryan Whittle, Dean Drolet, and Alex Dimitru. Once the draft Rule Book has been developed (including recommendations from the Members as well as the current Rule Book), the Rule Book will be presented to the Executive for their review and approval. The Rule Book will be posted on the WMRC web site by December 7, 2012. Next year, social media will be used and a public forum will be created so that Members can post their rules proposal(s).
    iv) Club communication: the web site forum is the primary location where the majority of the WMRC Club information is posted; the Facebook page is used primarily to reach fans / attendance; the web site is being redesigned to be easier to make changes / updates; mass email is used for information distribution; Twitter will be used for new threads from the forum. All time sensitive information will be posted on the web site forum.

5. NEXT MEETING

December 17, 2012 at 8:00 p.m.

6. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 9:24 p.m.

Special thanks to Cheryl for helping me with my job and taking awesome notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would again like to thank all those who attended this meeting. We had 18 memebers show up, not including Exec's!!!!!

Gio

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  2. Hiener

Hiener New Member

Thanks GIO!

That new logo better kick ass!

3. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I think you are incorrect on the qualifications of the Life Support BC crew. They are advanced life support paramedics, not first aid attendants.

In addition, if there is an emergency (for example, an accident on the highway), BC ambulance can and will leave even if you have them booked.

I would suggest talking directly to Graham at Lifesupport to get a full picture of what they provide.

BC Ambulance always provided top notch service as well and were always easy to deal with.

4. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

BC Ambulance will leave even if the club has paid them $1600 to be there for the day ?

5. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

John made a good point at the meeting when he suggested that maybe we weren't always getting what we paid for in certification with the guys we had before.

6. Ryan Whittle

You pay BC Ambulance an hourly rate, but if they are needed, they will leave.

Cookie, that's the first I had heard about that. I think the club should bring that up with Life Support BC, they would be able to give us support for who was there, if not a refund for having others there. I suspect that isn't the case though.

7. kingston

kingston New Member

Ryan, Christine brought this up at one of the fall meetings. She is a full advanced life support perimetic for BC ambulance and she just happened to be working the track near were i crashed in turn 5 last spring. She knew i should have been air lifted out to the hospital, but was a bit taken aback, that the attending ambulance guys couldn't or wouldn't make that call, they had to call in an advanced life support unit to make that call. Fortunately i got to the hospital before i bleed to death, but the concern was , do we have the kind of service we want in a life or death situation?

8. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

John can correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that we didn't always get the fully qualified paramedics we paid for with BC Ambulance. Like I said though, I might be wrong.

9. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Tony, that's correct. John Cathie said that BC Ambulance didn't always send us the best. With BC Life Support, we always were guaranteed ALS Certified paramedics. For what it's worth, I'm sure the current exec will make the correct decision for the club.

10. jcathie

jcathie Member

Exactly right Dean but I would also want to reinforce my comment that I could not honestly recall who had told me that. I also have a recollection about someone mentioning to me that the crews were assigned from an overtime pool, so it would make sense if there were no ALS paramedics that had made themselves available for overtime or perhaps they had been assigned elsewhere, we would wind up without ALS paramedics.

I support Randy in his comments and admit I was rather worried for him that day after learning some of the extent of his injuries and the delay in getting him to a proper treatment facility. The fact that Life Support was instrumental in that delay is worrisome. It must be noted, though, that Life Support CANNOT make the air ambulance call; that can only come from BC Ambulance personnel. During Randy's incident, I was told very early in the proceedings to call 9-1-1 for BC Ambulance so that was done in a timely manner.

I'm not going to go into further detail on what transpired, but I would be more than happy to sit down with the Executive to fill them in. In retrospect I think I'm going to endeavor to document a timeline during future incidents. I also will have a suggestion for the executive along this vein (pardon the pun) for their amusement.

The notion that BC Ambulance could be pulled from the track for assignment elsewhere is what really gives me the willies.

11. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Randy, I can't speak to the qualifications of the field medical staff because I don't know enough about it, but I can say with certainty a BC Ambulance attendant is NEVER questioned about the NEED for a MediVac. Very occasionally, a multiple accident situation arises where the system needs more helicopters than are available. In this case they need to prioritize, so Victoria dispatch will ask a few quick questions of the attendant and then make the judgement call as to who gets the rocket.

Your crash was a NO BRAINER - helicopter now!

12. andre331

andre331 New Member

bcas will not pull a unit from an assigned event unless there is a major disaster like earthquake or flood. A helicopter is launched when a dispatcher thinks it is nessesary during the 911 phone call. or if a bcas crew on scene requests it.

13. andre331

andre331 New Member

btw I have been a bcas paramedic for over twenty years

14. jcathie

jcathie Member

Andre, thanks very much for that clarification. I'm sure it relieves some anxieties (like mine) and clears up a couple of questions.

Thank you.

15. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

What if the earthquake is done and we still want to race?

Just joking! Thanks for the clarification Andre.

16. kingston

kingston New Member

Does any one remember, in the past when we used BC ambulance, how often, if at all they were pulled away during a race. Sounds like we have a decision between BC ambulance, who can make that call for an air-ambulance right away, but may get pulled from our track for an emergancy else were. Or Life Support who will reliably be there, but can not call an air ambulance if needed. The differance in cost is minimal really, maybe its something the membership should vote on?

Thanks Andre for adding that info, sorry i missed the second page of this thread till after i wrote this post, still think the membership should have a say, but i'll be ok with what ever the exec. desides.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  17. Ryan Whittle

BC Ambulance has never been pulled away from the track IIRC.

Disappointed doesn't accurately express my feelings towards your treatment after your crash Randy. I'd really like to know more about the events that day so that we can make sure we have the best trackside medical care available, period. Whether that be with BC Ambulance or Life Support.

My understanding was that the BC Ambualnce contract was staffed out of an overtime pool as well, and that we weren't always guaranteed ALS certified techs. It was also my understanding that with Life Support that there would always be a ALS certified tech onboard. Maybe things have changed since I booked teh ambulances, but its something we should clear up before the start of the season.

18. kingston

kingston New Member

At the last meeting believe Gio was looking into just that.

19. Don

Don Retired

In the years that I was starter, 6 if not 7, I can not recall an instance of racing being delayed due to the Ambulance being called away for some other incident. For transporting a racer to hospital, yes, but never for any other cause.

20. andre331

andre331 New Member

its true that bcas draws staff from an overtime pool for special events, there is usually an advanced life support member available, but not guaranteed. If the exec wants me to find out what the staffing will be a few days before our races, I can call the office. Regarding the ambulance leaving, that will only happen if the patient is criticly injured and needs immediate transport. dispatch will try to backfill if there is another ambulance available. I have always let the race director and others know that I am at the track and available to help out if nessesary. During randys incident I went to the gate and was told the ambulance was attending to him and no further help was required, I dont want to put anyone down but I know I would feel more comfortable with bcas even if they were a non als level