Meeting and Location Change

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by Dean, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

From googling and trolling other forums, it seems to be an upgrade for higher horsepower/open class bikes. I can only guess that is because they have the power to spin up the rear tire.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. In a lot of ways I really don't care either way. On one hand I don't like it being one more thing that guys have to spend money on, but on the other hand if it makes a tire last longer and reduces need/want for bazzaz traction control type units, then isn't it paying for itself?

2. kingston

kingston New Member

People have to be discerning about what they read about these links, knowing that most of the information is from people trying to sell these. Any mod like these links have advantages and disadvanages. A less progressive link will allow more effective suspension travel on the race track, but will also cause more geometry change when you may not want it.

One interesting thing is that Graves Motorsports, that races AMA superbike was selling a more progressive link for the R1 (stock one is more linear) to make it work better on certain tracks. My point is, i don't believe changing these links on any of our bikes will give an advantage over a stock linkage bike. Proper suspension and chassis setup is way more important.

I'm all for keeping our supersport class as stock as possible, but if some want to change their link for perceived safety or tire wear concerns, i say let'm.

3. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

The vote is for the link on all bikes, not just Ducati. The 08 GSXR 1000 works great with the stock linage however the 09 GSXR to 2012 1000 have the same problem as the 1198/848. Ducati included both on the 1199. If you would like to learn the difference between both please come to the meeting. I can't get the points across typing on the computer.

4. gxr jo

gxr jo New Member

has anyone canvassed other clubs for their feelings on this ?

5. Ryan Whittle

Its my understanding the EMRA allows it but I'm far too lazy to check.

6. kingston

kingston New Member

Your right Ryan, in EMRA's 2012 rule book 5.3 sportbike (like our supersport) says the rear suspension linkage can be changed.

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

Anybody want to car pool from the North side of the river?

8. Ryan Whittle

Damn, you'd think I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

9. kingston

kingston New Member

Yea its the time of year, i got a big list of things to do, but just want to hibernate. Till............. when is the first track day?

10. adam0289

adam0289 New Member

As I post this I have no idea what the rules in other clubs are but it seems as though we are moving to align WMRC with other clubs so wouldn't it make sense to follow other clubs in this respect. WMRRA OMRRA EMRA . it would seem logical that if all these clubs allow it or do not allow it we should follow suit. now if they are split then we need to vote. I would first look into what they are doing. My point is if they ALL say "yes to Linkage" then we should say "Yes to linkage" and vise versa

11. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

In this case, I think they are split, hence the vote.

12. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

Split? OMRRA no link change in SS w/proposal to clarify that NO linkage change is allowed.
    WMRRA no link change in SS w/no discussion of change for 2013
    WERA no link change in SS w/no discussion of change for 2013
    WMRC no link change in SS
    EMRA yes link change allowed BUT do not call their class Super Sport.

13. tt600

tt600 New Member

and kenny needs to get his point across....lol.thanks kelly.

14. ted

ted asshat

For any rider in our club that can utilize the linkage for what it's intended, I'd personally say have at it. I'd rather see our club outlaw traction control before it hurts someone on our track.

:2cents:

15. adam0289

adam0289 New Member

I don't understand the traction control thing," traction control hurts someone". please explain or am I missing a private joke or something.