Laguna Carnage (no race spoiler)

Discussion in 'Racing Elsewhere' started by jcathie, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jcathie

jcathie Member

Back from Laguna in one piece. Not too much drama other than the radio repeater calved Sunday, throwing radio communications into utter chaos. Fortunately I'm on a land line.

Massive oil related accident Saturday during Superbike practice thanks to Roger Lee Hayden oiling the track from Turn 6 all the way (on the line) to the apex of Turn 8. Speed glossed over it during their Superbike race episode with a still photo of Hayden draining his motor :jerkoff: and one of Eslick's bike pounding the air fence..

They don't do it justice. Personally, I haven't seen anything like this since Westwood.

After Hayden putted across the apex of Turn 8 draining oil from his lower fairing and coasted down to Turn 8A, 4 bikes went through Turn 8 on their sides at 100 MPH. The 5th bike stopped just short of the inside of the Turn 8 apex in 3 pieces; rear sub-frame, front wheel and triple tree and the motor/tank/seat section. That bike hit the wall and fencing full force right at a photographer's port before the corner and broke apart. If anyone had been there, they would have been dead. And that's where FIM REQUIRES 2 flaggers be during FIM events. Pictures to come. The debate with FIM will continue, I'm sure. :behead

Everyone walked away and we destroyed the grease sweep budget for the weekend. :D

The sad thing is, it was a privateer whose bike was destroyed.

Video is at dropbox with a file from each of the 2 cameras mounted at the outside of Turn 8. Image quality is pretty bad but it is what it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ooddhek3irzbqa5/turn 7-8 crash 1.avi

and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57vbv3iz0xvcgtt/turn 7-8 crash 2.avi

Oh, yeah. One plus to the weekend (amongst a few).

Colin Edwards came down to worker camp Thursday afternoon for a Q&A and a beer. He couldn't make any promises on when he'll be coming back to Vancouver for another of his famous 'Ride Safe' seminars. He did say that Lorenzo and de Puniet will be at his upcoming boot camp. :bow:

We did a group photo and he signed a few things including 3 of my photos. As usual, Bernie gets one for his Daytona Party, the club gets one for Air Fence fund raising and I'll keep the third one.:D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. kingston

kingston New Member

Hey John, Tim and i watched on moto gp network, we could see the cement dust trail leading up to the cork-screw, wow! do they ever fly through that cork-screw. Tim was convinced Lorenzo had the race after 6 laps because of Stoners tire problems, but i guess he just road smooth, conserved his tires and then turned up the wick at 20 to 25 lap to pull away. Going to miss watching that guy race.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  3. jcathie

jcathie Member

Yeah, there was a lot of grease sweep used. They had to send a Gator up with a load to replenish what we had used. Turn 7, Turn 8A and Turn 9 even came and helped with the cleanup.

Watching the race live, we don't get the perspective the TV feed can offer but I kind of figured it was tires that caused Lorenzo to slow his pace late in the race.

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

John were you working T8?

5. jcathie

jcathie Member

Yup.

Found this on youtube. I think the video I (hopefully) get will show more.

http://youtu.be/nm1iUjH390U

6. kingston

kingston New Member

Moto GP channel is pretty good with giving lap time updates, Lorenzo road real smooth with consitant times, but Stoner when he decided it was time to go, was an animal out there. Great camera angles showed some big power drifters around some of the corners. He is such a talent above the rest.

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

8. thumper 8

thumper 8 corner worker / photog

John, thanks for the videos. Looks like a little slow with the oil flags... amazing that no one was seriously hurt.

Scary stuff... I do wonder how we would have handled that nightmare in Turn 3... would we have done any better?

9. jcathie

jcathie Member

They got an oil flag out as soon as Hayden coasted around the corner, but the video doesn't show all the way back to Turn 7. A couple of flaggers at station 8.1 actually took it upon themselves to get flags out 18 seconds after Eslick binned it. That is not an AMA marshall station, so it makes sense there was a delay.

From the video I have, you guys did everything OK. Usually you're not supposed to touch the rider, just show them the way, but Spies just about keeled over a few times and the NMP's actually held him up.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  10. thumper 8

thumper 8 corner worker / photog

I meant T 7 - looks like T 7 was slow getting the flags out, but I am sure they had no idea how serious it was and the extent of the oil dropped.

Yes, we were told: "You cannot touch a rider, but they can touch you"

Thanks for the other link too!

11. urquhart

urquhart New Member

Yes, we were told: "You cannot touch a rider, but they can touch you"

Sorry guys I can't help myself with this one;

The quote sounds very familiar, where have I heard that before?

12. jcathie

jcathie Member

T7 is not visible on the videos. That was a T8 position. T8.1, to be precise.

13. ted

ted asshat

I'm not going to print what I'm thinking after watching that, but suffice to say If I'd gone down after that podunk trailed oil that far he'd be eatin' corn with no f^&*ing teeth.

14. Hiener

Hiener New Member