June 2014 General Meeting Minutes

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by Jaybo, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood WMRC President

WMRC
    General Meeting
    June 9th, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
    Ricky’s Restaurant, Langley, BC

IN ATTENDANCE:

Scott Borthwick, President
    Bruce Aylen, Promotions
    Jayson Lynch, Treasurer
    Mike Thompson, Vice President
    Jason Hanson, Secretary

6 members

1. CALL TO ORDER
    President Scott Borthwick called the meeting to order at 7:09 p.m.

2. MINUTES
    ) That the Minutes of the WMRC meeting held on April 14th,
    ( 2014, be accepted.
    CARRIED

3. FINANCIAL REPORT – Jayson Lynch

As of June 7th, the club currently has in the bank $26,217.45
    The club has outstanding debts $5,307.00. This includes, $750.00 for the gate security, $3,200.00 for ambulance and $683.00 for the radios that were purchased.
    The first race weekend resulted in a loss of around $564.14. We were actually in position to lose more more, but as it was the first race weekend many race licences were sold.
    Besides a relatively low racer turn out we also lost money because the medical fee not properly charged. It was charged only once per weekend instead of once per race day.
    The front gate took in only around $1200.00 on sunday, vs. a "good" day at around $3000.00. It's also presumed that the gate was low because many people did not pay the gate fee.
    The Elk Club catering worked well and was ¼ of the cost of Metro Catering.
    28 discount cards were redeemed at the front gate.

4. PROMOTIONS REPORT –Bruce Aylen
    Nothing new to report.

Spero updated us with some projects he's working on:

Presentation at Bayview Elementary School in Vancouver, June 24th. This was Spero’s elementary school and he has permission to do a presentation at the school. He's bringing Jake Hayes, and perhaps one other, hopefully Marybeth Harrison and some bikes and will be talking about racing with the WMRC, chasing your dreams & sportsmanship. He's hoping that a Jodie vance from the press will be there.
    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...MRC-Presentation-at-Bayview-Elementary-School

Bike Night at First Gear Riding School in Richmond, June 25th.Spero will be attending with his friend Nathan, and will be bringing some bikes and talking to people about track days and racing.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/bikenightvancouver/

Squamish Motorcycle Festival July 12th & 13th, Spero is hoping to attend and will be trying to promote the club.
    http://www.squamishmotorcyclefestival.com/about.html

"Take it to the Track" Initiative. Members and motorcycle enthusiasts are encouraged to write letters to the Minister of Justice, detailing that we would like the government to create a public safety campaign about road racing, something along the lines of "May is motorcycle awareness month" but to encourage people not to speed on the public roads but to take it to the track.
    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/165241-quot-Take-It-To-The-Track-quot-campaign

"Riding school at Mission" WCSS will be adding an ART class to the track day on the Friday, July 25th track day.

He would like to remind everyone that, everyone should in involved in promoting the club. It's as easy as handing out some of the postcard flyers and telling people about your racing. He suggested having a meeting at riders meeting or after the races to remind everyone.

4. NEW BUSINESS

We need a person to volunteer to work the front gate for the July rounds.
    We lost too much money in the first race weekend due to people not paying the gate fee. Last year we tried wrist bands to confirm that they paid their gate fee. We are going to be using the wrist bands again going forward as something needs to be done as we can’t lose that money.
    The Friday, September 26th date is still available for us. We can use it but of course we have the potential to lose at least $10,000.00 for a poor day.
    An Endurance race has been discussed but considered to be a bad idea in advance of the final 2014 race rounds.. besides the potential bad weather, it's generally understood that not many racers would risk their bikes, or selves in an endurance race prior to the final rounds.
    Spero suggested we could find something to do with the day, perhaps a race school. The decision on the day will be tabled for another month.
    It was suggested the final 2014 rounds in September be double points. Perhaps that would help to generate more interest.
    A vote was taken for double race points being awarded for the final rounds and all were in favour.
    The report on Licensing was that there was 5 or 6 new racers from the race school, most of the licences that were purhcased were from returning racers buying licences.
    System deficiances, ambulance fee, classes. Printouts. F-18 and classic not printing, could not print results.
    A third party in interested in having a 250cc "Race of Champions" in the July rounds with a money pot as happened last year. If this is to happen it will be decided before the next meeting and it will be organzied by the third party, along the lines of the 250 Gold Cup series. A new racing class will have to be added to the comptuer system.
    There was a shortage of radios. this was because the club bought radio’s but could not get on the right frequency. We need to get those radios working. Pam to talk to George.
    We had announcing in turn 7, it was great a good idea and we hope to do it again.
    The WMRC program was deemed disappointing, some information was old and needs to be updated. The PCMRC program was examined and it was suggested that we speak to them and have them re-do our program.
    Andrew needs a key for track set up., to get a key from Mike

4. MOTION TO ADJOURN
    Accepted by Andrew, seconded by John

2. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Hi all, sorry I couldn't make the meeting but was working out of town for the week. Concerning the radios, we need to either: contact our renter to get the frequicies, as they can be programed to any frequency in the band spectrum or get a radio before a race weekend, so I can scan it or try the preprogrammed factory frequencies. I tried to scan during the race weekend but the short durations of talk on the radios wasn't enough to pick up anything. I did a lot of research on our rental radios (PR400) and have some service manuals that I can try if we can not get any info from the renter.

G

3. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

Hopefully there won't be a school strike for the Bayview presentation, we could always hold it next spring if there is. Actually, I'm planning on holding another presentation at Kitsilano Secondary in the spring as well.

As a matter of fact all the WMRC members should organize a presentation at the schools that they attended. It's free publicity for the club and we're bound to get a bunch of families come out to watch the races. Plus, you never know if there's a kid that will get inspired to get into racing and become a future world champion.

As for Bike Nite on June 25th if anybody wants to set up a tent to display their bike and maybe have a laptop showing slideshows or videos of Mission by all means come out. It's amazing how many people don't know about trackdays and racing here in the Lower Mainland.

Also, next month's Bike Nite will be on July 23rd, so it would be a great opportunity to promote the club heading into our race weekend. It'll be held in the Grandview Tire parking lot located beside Modern Motorcycling. We're planning on holding a small suspension seminar during the event...details to follow.

4. andre331

andre331 New Member

acording to roberts rule of order which governs the rules of meetings of clubs and societies like the wmrc, in order to make a changes within the society ( double points for september races) the majority of the membership must be present to vote. last time i checked I think we have more than the 11 members who voted and passed the idea of double points. I invite coments from the membership on this matter. Majority should decide this question...... Online poll mabey?????????????

5. tt600

tt600 New Member

wanted to bring that up also....figured not worth the pain.

6. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I would suggest a vote at the riders meeting in the July 26/27 double header.

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

I believe that would apply to changing the bylaws of the society. Awarding points for a race weekend is not a society bylaw. An online poll would not be able to verify the membership status of the voter.

8. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

If an agenda was posted before each meeting members would have no excuse for not showing up to vote on any issues which they have an opinion on. A vote on any "new business" item brought up at a meeting (i.e not on the agenda) should be adjourned until the following months meeting so all affected can attend/vote. Just my $.02

9. ducatigirl

ducatigirl Moderator WMRC Exec

The logic behind the double points was to encourage people to show up for the last race weekend, regardless of the weather. And the inspiration to come up with an idea to encourage full grids was the $$ that was lost at the last race of last year. There was no hidden intent, it is simply and hopefully, a motivation to get bikes on the track, even if it rains.

10. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Hey Andre, here's how this stuff works in case anyone cares:
    The club is a society and is governed by the society act
    http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96433_01#section66

The society act states that the constitution and bylaws of the society (chapter 20 of the WMRC rulebook) can be changed only through a special resolution (basically a vote at the AGM, the result of which must then be filed with the registrar)

Interesting some of the things that require a special resolution to change......

The bylaws of the club state that the meetings are to be governed by Roberts rules of order.

As I recall there was discussion about separating the bylaws from the rulebook but I guess that went no-where. Items other than the bylaws can be changed without informing the registrar and there are no specific rules that I know of that prohibit an issue from being brought up and voted on at the same meeting. I don't see any statute in the club bylaws which discuss needing a quorum for rulebook changes.

To me the issue is communication. Why in the year 2014 with all the methods of communication available to us should everyone have to attend every meeting in case an important issue be brought up and a final decision may be made at the same meeting. Other organizations have simple ways to ensure everyone can be involved, like what I suggested above. That's my $.02 and I'm out.

11. andre331

andre331 New Member

my point was that having a small number of members make a decision for everyone isnt right. And as Ive posted before accepting race dates so late in the year is a huge gamble. Double points or not I believe if the weather is like it was last year in september the attendance will be poor and the club will lose big money

12. jcathie

jcathie Member

It's the members' choice whether to attend a meeting or not. Those that choose to do so get to voice their opinion and if those in attendance agree then it is perfectly within their right under Robert's Rules of Order to make a motion, see if someone will second it and have it voted on. Those who cannot (or will not) attend a meeting really need to examine their priorities. It's called a democracy. Those that show up to vote get their say. Sorry, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Late summer race dates are always risky. It's the nature of the beast. Would we rather only have 2 weekends this season? Making it a double points weekend is just added incentive to show up.

13. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

John calls the WMRC a democracy. From Wikipedia: "Democracy is a form of government in which all eligible citizens participate equally" I would draw your attention to the 'all' and 'equally' in that sentence. From what I see from the sidelines, the WMRC is more like an oligarchy nowadays... But we're getting wrapped up in definitions and appearances here, so let's mosy on...

John goes on in his post and tells you that by showing up at a meeting making a motion and having it seconded, you can really get anything passed...provided you get a majority vote - I figure anywhere from 6-8 people make a majority nowadays. Think about it! YOU could make the 'elected officials' wear nothing but speedos (the really skimpy ones) on race days, or you could have a non-confidence vote and change the 'elected officials', or you could change the scoring or ... or... or... You are limited only by your imagination. Just stay away from by-law changes! They're special...

I think we need to recap this ridiculously simple procedure:
    'Stack' the meeting by bringing all your member friends (ie. make sure you have a majority), introduce motions and vote (repeat ad nausem). Hell, if you don't have a lot of member friends or you need extra muscle, you can suplement with regular friends, buy them social memberships and an overpriced burger at Ricky's and go to town. Guaranteed cheap fun all night - although Ricky's does kicks you out by 9PM.

You figure out if I'm joking or not....

14. tt600

tt600 New Member

alex you always put a smile on my face....lmao

15. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Come on Alex, you have to admit that John is absolutely right, the world is run by those who show up. Besides, given the club's growing membership, expanding grid sizes, healthy roster of volunteers and overflowing bank account it makes perfect sense to marginalize members. Especially those who, like Andre, just show up and race - paying license and entry fees year after year. People deserve what they get if they can't (or won't) prioritize attending every meeting over work or family.

16. andre331

andre331 New Member

there will be one meeting I will be at for sure, that will be the AGM . And what club business usually happens there???? hmmm ,how much are social memberships?

17. ducatigirl

ducatigirl Moderator WMRC Exec

I'm not going to get involved in this beyond saying that it's being blown way out of proportion. There is no conspiracy, no manipulation of members, or to purposely exclude anyone. I'd also just like to say that before anyone laments being "left out of the voting process" they be sure to buy a membership.
    I don't understand all this negativity. We love bikes. We want to race as much as we can. We all bleed race fuel. Every member shares the same passion. Every member wants the club to thrive. 18 sleeps. Enough said.

18. jcathie

jcathie Member

It's more than just buying a membership. It's also showing up and exercising your right to vote (or abstain). The oligarchy that Alex refers to all centers around the fact that few people care to make the effort to show up at a meeting. Plain and simple. Stack a meeting. It's all part of a democracy, which is still preferable to the alternatives.

19. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

So what we take away from this is that if you want to improve your club, show up at meetings. Yes/no? The cute dialogue between andre and the cookie monster (don't we have a rule about handles on the forum?) was entertaining though. I think that the agenda is a great idea, as is holding off the vote for new business until it can be put into the agenda for the next meeting. The social vibe in the club stinks, anyone want to do something about it? Promoting of the race club could be improved, anyone want to do something about it?

20. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

LOL. My name is right there, where it says "full name", same as yours *Jay*

Tony cookie monster Cook