Importing race bike from USA

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by johnmartin424, Aug 11, 2011.

1. johnmartin424

johnmartin424 2006 Vintage Champion

Anybody imported a race bike from the USA into Canada? This is obviously a converted street bike with all the ancilliaries removed.

Do you need a title or papers for the bike even though it will never be used on the street? Is this to prove that the bike hasn't been stolen?

Revenue Canada states:

Competition vehicles are not a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Competition vehicles are not subject to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) and the Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) is not required.

Under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations, a competition vehicle is defined as:

a vehicle that is designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition and
    bears a label affixed by the manufacturer stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition

or

b. is accompanied by a signed declaration clearly indicating that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Many of our members have done this. Generally the WMRC provides a letter to the importer (you) that has the VIN and a description of the vehicle. We note that you are a racer and that the vehicle is for race use only. You may or may not require a similar letter from the race org where the bike is being purchased from.

Upon import its always a good idea to fit a set of Michelin racing tires so that everyone knows you mean business.

3. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Smoooooth... ;)

4. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Yeah, I stamp Michelin on my Pirellis so they know I mean business, but I still have good tires as well...

5. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

And the scorch torch is thus passed to Jay...

6. tt600

tt600 New Member

only the fast guy's use michelins

7. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

I recently scored some very fresh Michelins that I'll spoon onto the Gixxer for my first outing of the 2012 season, so maybe they'll finally make me fast (or at least faster) :D

8. Hiener

Hiener New Member

Hey

Just looking at import a bike from WA, no title, bike is in parts, do I need the letter?

thanks

9. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Bumping this thread up.

I'm trying to import a race bike (converted street bike) to Canada. Contacted Transport of Canada and showed them pictures and the ad as I was instructed when I called them to see if the vehicle is admissible. They replied that it cannot be imported in as a competition vehicle but rather as a street bike. This isn't an option since I would have to convert it twice (to street then back to track) and the seller has no street parts. I told them that it would be accompanied by a letter from WMRC. But they completely ignore that part.

I'm sure more than one person here have imported a US race (converted) bike into Canada.

Please help a newb out.

O yes - I'm also new here .. Hi Everybody!

10. JIMMY

JIMMY New Member

Welcome Sharpie. I have imported several Bikes over the years both street and race.

If you don't plan to register the bike the only things you will need at the border is the bill of sale and the "export" certificate from the US side.

You will pay G.S.T. at the border and you will be good to go.

To get the export certificate application call the border crossing and ask them to fax it to you.(Blaine is 360-332-5707)
    You will need the bill of sale and a copy of the title to complete the form.

Note: You need to fax the US border crossing you choose the application for the bike at least 72 hrs before you plan to cross.
    When you cross go to the office and pick up the cert.

Note: they only do export certs. between 8:00 and 3:00 pm!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  11. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

I have researched what the US Custom needs and I'm fully aware of that part.

Did you have any trouble on the Canadian side when you imported the race bike? What sort of questions will they be asking and documents?

Does it matter what model/year/make the race bike is? I have looked at the Admissible List from Transport Canada and know the street version of the race bike I'm planning on purchasing is admissible.

What about registering the bike in Canada (not for street purposes but to have some sort of legal document that you are the rightful owner)? Hmm .. would that be considered the Bill of Sale?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

12. moeracing

moeracing New Member

Unless you get a document from a sanctioned racing body such as ama you will have to import it as a regular bike, ie pay the hst and riv fee, i looked into it a while back, it didnt make financial sense, even the older r6 track bike i bought here was a bit of a pain to take south since it has no registration, you nedd to get cbsa to look at the bike and give you a green card for it which indicates you had it prior to entering the states, for the green carc they want some sort of bill of sale or decal indicating it was originally sold and made for canada, ie a transport canada decal, hope that helps,

13. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

Importing Race Bikes

Hi, a letter from any race organization or club including WMRC is all it takes,

Letter only needs to state that the bike, naming the year and model, is intended for Race Use only and is Not Intended for Street Use or Registration in Canada at any time,

The race bikes imported this way are not registrable in the sense of licensing them. The bill of sale you will need for customs and their entrance document is all you need, You will keep the customs papers with you as proof of legal entry in the future if you are doing US track days or races for example.

Bonus is that you can cross into Canada with the bike anytime you like with no need for any clearance from the US side at all when you do the intial importation,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
    Blair

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  14. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Thanks for all the great tips and info.

Looking forward to getting this bike and joining everyone next season.

Cheers

15. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Wohoo! Finally shipped the bike home. It's sitting in the garage now waiting for Spring to come.

Thanks everyone for all the information. It was a lot easier than I anticipated, knowing my luck I thought I would have been detained and interrogated for hours.

Again - thanks for the help.

Cheers!

16. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Great news! Glad the letter worked/helped as well.

17. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Thanks Dean for the letter! Much appreciated.

18. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

:) The club letters have helped so many people import bikes for our race club. Thanks to Dean for providing them on club letterhead,

Good work Dean,

See you at the club meeting on the 17th,

Best regards,
    Blair