Importing a race bike from the USA

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by Gregg, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Gregg

Gregg Track Addict

I've been reading up on this subject over at BCSB but they're always talking about road-legal bikes. I don't ever want to ride this thing on the street and it certainly will not pass a Canadian Tire safety inspection with no lights/signals etc.

All I want to be able to do is have an ICBC storage policy on the bike and have some sort of ownership document for when I cross the border with it.

I'm sure there are a few peeps on here that have been through this so how did you purchase your race bike in the States?? Thanks!!

2. Simon

Simon New Member

I told them I was borrowing it, I paid tax's or duties and thats it. Dave Pearson brought one thru a few months ago and had troubles at the truck crossing, drove out to Sumas and paid his tax's, done deal.

I doubt you can get ICBC to put storage insurance on it as its not legal for road use unless you get it certified.

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

You can get storage on a dirtbike. Should be the same kinda thing. Pricey but possible.

4. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

as far as I know, you can stick storage on anythingbout the catch is that as soon as you move the bike from where it's insured for the insurance is no good. eg. insured at your house - you put it into a trailer you have no insurance

5. Simon

Simon New Member

Good info, thanks.

6. Andrea

Andrea New Member

Correct. And you also need all the paperwork to get the insurance too. No papers, no storage insurance. Had it on my CBR race bike. Its expensive and a pain considering the rules about the policy being void once moved, but peace of mind is worth it.

7. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Is the policy void or only in effect for where it is stored, i.e. is the policy null and void if you buy the policy on Jan 1, ride it on the track July 1 and it gets jacked from your house on October 1? Or is it only void if it gets jacked anywhere but at home?

PS - I can't put storage on the SV can I?

8. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

It's only good if you can prove it was stolen from the placed insured

9. Ryan Whittle

So take a picture of myself standing in an empty parking stall with a sad face?

10. Simon

Simon New Member

Yep.

So I am right, no regi, no storage insurance, right?

11. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Yes, that's what ICBC told me when I inquired about it. And if your bike is registered and you get a storage policy on it, as Andrea said, it's void as soon as you move it (ie. even taking it out to the track), which essentially means you have to get a new storage policy each time you put it back in the garage after a race day (so I was told).

12. Nancy

Nancy Practice Racer

Importing a race bike - track only

Hi Gregg,

A couple of years ago I did this. Make sure that you have you bill of sale as you'll need this to get through US Customs/Canada Customs.

I did all of the regular RIV paperwork (72 hours before I was crossing the border) and then picked up the bike. Drove to the Pacific Hwy crossing & went to US Customs & got them to stamp my documents (they will have already done a VIN check, etc. by the time you get there - give them a call a few days beforehand to make sure they have your doc's ready). Once I'd gotten the papers stamped I headed over to Canada Customs & reported there. You will pay GST & that's it!

Make sure that BOTH US & Canada Customs know that it's an "off road" bike only (I used the analogy with them that it was like a dirt bike & will never be insured & they seemed to be okay with that). It took me about an hour once I was at the border - remember they're only 8-5 (or something close to that) at the U.S. side.

If you need any more info I can dig up my papers for you, including the fax #'s for US Customs.

Nancy

13. Simon

Simon New Member

I must have got lucky, I was honestly in and out in 10 mins.

14. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

First you can do a 1:11 around Mission, now you're even fast through Customs, Simon -- way to make the rest of us feel ever more inadequate!:D

15. Ryan Whittle

His wife was saying that's not all he's fast at....

16. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Aaaaaand scorch!

Good thing you and I are here to keep Simon on an even keel, Ryan.;)

17. Simon

Simon New Member

Sorry, but when your born with my talent and good looks, you gotta brag, :eek::\m/::clap:

18. Simon

Simon New Member

Thatst the nicest thing you've ever said to me, sniff, sniff, :p

19. Gregg

Gregg Track Addict

Thanks Nancy,

That's pretty much what my plan of action is!

20. JasonG

JasonG New Member

So its the RIV program fee of $195 plus GST..correct?

((Vehicles entering the RIV program with a Vehicle Import Form - Form 1
    $195.00 + GST and QST for vehicles entering through a border crossing in Quebec
    $195.00 + GST for vehicles entering through a border crossing in any other province))

AND,

the RIV paperwork is sent to US Customs?

This bike im looking at is strictly race bike, has no registration, and Clean title.. i need a letter from race organization, stating its a off-road vehicle plus bill of sale..? and thats it..

thanks in advance