Important news regarding the 2012 season at Mission Raceway Park for the WMRC

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Jerry

Jerry New Member

What he said.

2. Simon

Simon New Member

I think he means you won't follow up with your commitment.

3. Don

Don Retired

Thanks Simon.

4. Jerry

Jerry New Member

And I repeat, why would he say that?

5. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

He was teasing you...

6. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Oh I doubt you're the only one with that opinion. :)

It really was a productive meeting last night. Congrats to all for staying positive and on topic. Now hopefully no momentum is lost and everyone goes into this season with their resolve intact.

7. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Oh, ..... OK then.

But I reckon Dean and Troy are right, for this to work we need to make firm commitments and stick buy them.

8. jcathie

jcathie Member

Ted, if you had been able to make the meeting you'd be of a different opinion.

Mistakes happen.

We will be walking a figurative tightrope this year. We need every contribution that can be mustered; financial and otherwise.

9. thumper 8

thumper 8 corner worker / photog

A packed house last night - standing room only:

[​IMG]

One idea for Tommy and Dean to confirm volunteers for the race dates: there are sign up sheets from the past few years that all the volunteers sign, in addition to the waivers. Most of the e-mail addresses for the volunteers for the past few years are on those sheets. E-mail all the recent volunteers with the 2012 race dates (many may not follow these forums?) and let them now when the races are on, and try and confirm well in advance of the race day whether or not they will be able to attend. If numbers look short, then the scramble can begin - but may as well contact all experienced cornerworkers first.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  10. Don

Don Retired

Wow, quite the rouges gallery there. Glad there was such a good turnout and good idea on confirming volunteers ahead of time.

11. ted

ted asshat

Yeah right, nice of them to correct their mistake, pardon me, mistakes.

Attached Files:

12. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Why do you say this? Did I miss something? As far as I heard, no one knows what happened and it seems no one has even asked.

We also heard from several members that this problem is likely to continue in the future.

When the executive was asked what we could do about it, or start to do about it, the answer (supported by several members on the floor) was "nothing, get used to it" or words to that effect.

:surrender:

13. jcathie

jcathie Member

I guess you did miss something.

I truly doubt we will have another episode of getting dates and then finding out they were already spoken for by the organization that actually owns the facility.

You need to pay closer attention to what's going on.

You are mixing two separate but related topics; one of which is lousy dates and the other being the plain lack of dates.

As was mentioned at the meeting and corroborated by more than one person, there are more and more drag racing organizations creating greater and greater demand for weekend dates. Since the drag racing folks own the facility, they get to take as many weekends as they care to. There is nothing we can do about it. So get used to it.

As was also mentioned at the meeting, the car club has less dates this year than last year.

Suck it up and forget about all the conspiracy theories.

14. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Not implying a conspiracy theory at all.
    I am, however, lamenting the poor attempt I see at being involved or having some kind of relationship with the other clubs. If we don't talk to them, they won't be considering what our needs are. Maybe they still won't if we do: I am new to this sport, and don't know the players. Why was one of their reps not invited to our meeting last night? Perhaps there is a good reason, but I would have thought that a natural move.
    As to the high demand on desirable dates going forward, we need to start to sort that out now, or we cannot expect to be considered in the future. We may still come away from any dialogue unsatisfied, but hey, you never know. Right now, we are not even trying to sort it out, so we certainly cannot expect a desirable outcome.
    There are possibilities. We are not even talking about them. We should be. It could take a decade to figure this out. Many racers in that room will be racing electric bikes by that time perhaps... we have a pretty young club.

Brainstorming, at the very least. How about:

-Reduced rates for weekday rentals, so we could staff the track with WCSS staff... and reduced racers...

-Biannual schedule... shitty one year, great the next...

-Conceiving some sort of master plan to light the track and race electric bikes at night...

-Exploring the concept of separating the road and drag courses so events can run simultaneously..

15. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

In terms of communicating to the sports car club....it was discussed at the monthly meeting and Dean has attended at least one if not two of their meetings, Jayson may have as well and Ted knows some of the people and was putting in good words for us.

Your idea of reduced week day rates is a good one.....it will take a decent sales job to make it fly but you never know.

Lighting the track would be cool but costly....probably not in the budget but you never know.

Separating the road course from the drag strip......way too expensive and as far as the drag guys who own the track are concerned.....it isn't a concern
    for them because they get the dates they want so why spend the money or make the effort.

16. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Dean did mention that the car club meetings are open and anyone can attend. Check out their website, attend a meeting and let us know how it goes and what kind of people they are.

17. jcathie

jcathie Member

That's the operative phrase, right there.

You are new. You are not at all familiar with the work and effort your predecessors have gone through for over 10 years at Mission.

It's not your fault, so there's no need to be defensive. In fact, it's nobody's fault. But you need to stop and think a little bit. Ask yourself this, "are all the people that have preceded me complete dullards and idiots for not doing this, or that?"

Not at all. A lot of very smart and committed people have expended a great deal of effort to cultivate a mutually beneficial relationship with our fellow racers at Mission.

No guests from other clubs at last night's meeting? It was an open meeting. We have had guests from time-to-time but perhaps they didn't want to walk into a potentially emotionally charged meeting. What could they add to the meeting? Not a whole lot.

Desirable dates? We are low man on the totem pole, as it were. We get the dregs. Always have and always will.

Biannual schedule - we have no strength at the negotiating table. In fact, there is no negotiating table. Take it or leave it. They can always charge someone else more money for a private rental.

More lighting? That's permanent infrastructure that would raise the property taxes. BCCCA has enough trouble paying their taxes now. Take a look around you next time you're at the track and take note at how many permanent structures there actually are. Permanent structures raise property taxes.

But before the lights come in, where are these fabled electric bikes? I saw a bunch at MotoGP at Laguna the last couple years. Never seen or even heard of one at Mission. Has anybody ever brought one to Mission that I don't know about?

Separate the courses? You can be sure SCCBC and BCCCA has looked at it. Refer to my third paragraph.

So my friend, you raise the same points that pretty much every newb brings up. You are excited with the new adventure you are embarking upon. Your head is spinning with all manner of ideas. But most of them have already been beaten to death several times over. You want to help but you aren't familiar with what has gone before you showed up. It's OK. Stay committed. Enjoy yourself. Help where and when you can. Keep it rubber side down.

Last, but most certainly not least, watch out for Ted. :bow:

Ted's been committed for a long time but they keep letting him out.

18. jcathie

jcathie Member

Mistakes happen all the time. Look in the mirror. You'll see one staring back at ya. :D

19. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

A good question was asked,to paraphrase "what can we do to develop a better inter-club (track user) relationship?" .
    My opinion below
    To answer this you must understand that we as a user have no more rights or power than anyone else RENTING the facility.
    Mission Raceway is owned by the Custom Car Club.
    What we think of as Rivers Edge road course is owned by the Sports Car Club of BC via a rental agreement with Custom C.Club.
    Both these organizations have invested hundreds of thousands(millions) of dollars in their race facility.
    Drag racers pick their dates ,then provide remaining dates to SCCBC .
    SCCBC picks their race dates and THEN the remaining dates are rented out by them.We as a renter are FAR down the list (after all the drag and sports car racing groups) .Sub letting from a sublet.
    These road course dates and the monies from them are a revenue stream used to fund the whole facility.
    WHAT WE CAN DO? We need to be an exemplary tenant.Pay promptly,be quiet,don't damage the track,don't tarnish it's reputation,etc.
    If 10 people want to rent your basement suite is it all about money?Or do you want someone who pays promptly,is clean and helps take care of your home?
    We need to contribute to the health and well being of the track .This will earn us the respect and cooperation needed to continue to race.
    HOWEVER and this is where the "nothing we can do" answer came from.ARE YOU READY? Every year or two the Custom Club and the Sports Car club have new executives running the track.This often means starting all over as a tenant,working hard to prove our value and sometime having to overcome agendas not in line with ours.
    Some years it's three steps forward and some years it's two steps back.This is a two step forward ,four steps back year.
    We have worked at being good tenants.Over the years this approach has earned us a high position on the renters list.As always we will carry on trying to be a good tenant.
    The next step is coming up with enough money to 'buy in' at the level of the Custom Car Club or Sports Car Club.Anyone got an extra half million or so?

20. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

"Desirable dates? We are low man on the totem pole, as it were. We get the dregs. Always have and always will."

Well, if the above is true, I am not sure why I would want to continue with the club, frankly. I don't mind things being tough... but I don't like associating with hopelessness... and it seems that, reading between the lines, the attitude around the club is that things are never gonna change, so why bother to try to change it. I recognize that this may in fact be correct, but it is not for me.

I don't need to see the WMRC present a crystallized vision of its future to me... what I need is a sense that there is a desire to find that future vision. I don't see that.

I watched what the Climber's Access Society did in Squamish and Skaha. I guess that is where my absurdly high expectations come from.

The lighting thing is just a pie in the sky suggestion. Poor ideas are sometimes fertilizer for better ideas. But if, as you say, every idea has been conceived of and shot down, will, ok. I accept your analysis. I really don't know, I am new to the sport, and new to the club.

Oh, my girlfriend lives on the bike route in Strathcona. At least 30 electric bikes travel down Union street each day currently. I think there is a good chance that you will see them racing at tracks fairly soon, say 10 years on the outside.