Important news regarding the 2012 season at Mission Raceway Park for the WMRC

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Jan 28, 2012.

1. younglion

younglion New Member

Hey Folks, I just finished reading the last 5-6 pages of this thread and have a couple things to add, not in any official capacity, just my thoughts:

- I can't imagine how brutal this is for all of you - I've been racing a very short time but I'm sure you all know how tight knit the community gets very quickly. Novices become experts, riders become close friends, and the race day staff are like family as well.

- I live in Victoria and this will be my third season racing with WMRRA. I haven't done any racing with the WMRC yet but in all honesty this summer was going to be the year I gave it a shot. Having chatted with friends who raced there over the years like Oli, Steve O, Mel, and so on I almost owe it to the "local" Club to support them (you) and try out the facility. I spent 20 minutes speaking to Ken at the bike Show and felt positive about what he said and the questions I had. I have some concerns over the track but like PR, I've heard that there's been nothing but great stride the last few years in making is a safer place to race.

- My personal opinion on WMRC racers coming down to race with us at WMRRA is that I'm confident we will do everything possible to make it as easy as possible for you all to come down and share the track with us. We've also had a rough go this last few years with Spokane being omitted from the schedule and the Eastern WA racers being somewhat left out, not to mention the usual economy thing - grids have been down compared to years past but overall last year was a bounce back season and as you all know, there's a LOT of excitement over The Ridge and the three rounds we have scheduled to run there this summer. In addition to that, our Executive are a fantastic group and I'm sure at the least will offer the "1/2 off your first round" deal we had going with OMRRA the last couple seasons, possibly more.

- Track time is going back to a more comfortable level this summer as we have three new track day providers in the PNW area - running at both PR and The Ridge - Epic Trackdays, Motofit Group, and OPRT. All these in addition to 2-Fast, Mike Sullivan, and PSSR. One member here suggested possibly racing as WMRC at The Ridge - I'm not too sure about that idea as this late in the season I'm sure The Ridge is pretty damn booked not to mention the weekend fee's for booking that facility would need a MASSIVE turnout to break even, let alone logistics like transponders not matching your current ones, race day staff commuting Internationally, and so on.

-As far as Canadian bikes not meeting criteria for points and such, that's completely irrelevant for everyone except those who race ZZR 250's or any other Canada-only model machine which I doubt is anyone but could be wrong so basically you all can race your current bikes and score points, be eligible for contingency(if all other criteria are met of course), etc... We have Endurance racing slotted for this summer, Motard specific classes, Vintage racing, Ninja 250 classes, three classes for 600's, and all the other usual classes most Org's have. Everything you need to know is listed on our website and as mentioned there's a thread on there about the WMRC - feel free to post up there and ask questions, comment, or just fling shit at one another like we normally do!

Best of luck with your meeting Wednesday night, obviously priority #1 is saving the WMRC and this season, if that fails, please feel welcomed to join us in the interim and salvage your season or just get some seat time with WMRRA.

Lionel

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. jcathie

jcathie Member

I doubt they would care about it on the surface but people going through Customs and saying, "I'm volunteering at the race track" will result in "You are inadmissible because you are taking jobs away from hard working Americans". Big, big problem that day and potentially future trips for that person.

Maybe we'll all just go down to "watch the races" instead. From the corners. From the starter's tower. From the scoring building.

:devil:

3. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

Hey Lionel,

We haven't met in person but we have traded a few PM's on BCSB.

I have a question for you about the WMRRA format. I look at the calendar and see there are 3 day race weekends. Usually the first day is a track day of some sort but then there appear to be 2 race days. Why is that ? Are the races more spread out ? One each day for each class or ?

Cheers

4. younglion

younglion New Member

Hey Lance! What's your handle over there on BCSB?

The 3-day events are for our Endurance rounds, days 1 and 2 are our normal 2-day races - practice sessions in the am, race in the PM kinda set up but the three day events will feature Endurance races only for the entire day.

5. fiftycapt

fiftycapt The Captain

This is a very positive statement that needs to be held front and center on Wednesday night. Particularly the last words, "We are certainly open to doing whatever it takes for the WMRC..." This is what I have suggested in my previous posts, that we should work together to find a compromise that allows both organisations to at least break even this year. So WMRC takes it's May long weekend, our Monday in August, Troy donates a Monday WCSS has, and we pick a Friday to make a 4 round championship. Maybe we even try for 1 more Friday or Monday and go for 5 rounds? Then we ALL try like hell to be at every single event in order to make some financial sense of the year. This keeps sponsers engaged, even though we might lose some gate and TOR revenue, and proves to our adversaries how committed we are as a group to make this racing work. Don't give up on Mission so quickly and cancel the season. We can all start addressing the auxillery staffing issue now and re-double our efforts to check within our own households for such employees. This type of proposal WILL work if we collectively try and push for it.

BTW Troy: Dad and I are always teetering on the brink of financial disaster to fund our sick addiction. We are closer to the food bank than you realize lol. I will be sponsored by MC to make all of your Mission Track Days, regardless of the day of the week.

6. thumper 8

thumper 8 corner worker / photog

I am very, very confident that if a season is cobbled together, a race day will not be lost due to lack of volunteers. One way or another, I am sure we can all pull a friend or two out to the track, even for a couple of mid-week race days.

Racer turnout, logistics and the economics/finances have to work, but with adequate advance notice, a lack of volunteers should not be a problem... hopefully :thumbup:

7. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

My handle on BCSB is Good Karma....we spoke recently about the gloves.

What about the other weekends where 2Fast or Sullivan do the Friday track day and WMRRA has races Saturday and Sunday ?

What I am trying to figure out is how many races I would get per day if I brought down a 600.....not sure how I would be categorized...intermediate if there is such a thing.

8. fiftycapt

fiftycapt The Captain

See! This is one big issue that seems to have an answer...we can all do this if we go for it

50 Capt

9. stykman

stykman I can't recall WMRC Exec

Well with that many mouths to feed it is no wonder. :)

10. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

DON'T GIVE UP GUYS! I don't know if I can make it to the meeting as I'll probably be on the Island but I'll help out as many race days as I possibly can, and always glad to help out Troy and Gio (Track days or schools).

Race where and when we can but let the Car club know everyones' displeasure.

11. Linda

Linda At last....recognized!!!!

As mentioned in "volunteering" there is no salaries involved therefore no "jobs" taken from the Americans. BUT....should the officer wanted to put a dent in one's day....it would be easily done. So just let's go down to watch.....

12. Linda

If all goes according to plans I'll see you on Wednesday.....

13. thumper 8

Hey Linda, how is your knee? Surgery yet? I am in New West later in the afternoon & could swing by the Wednesday meeting, assuming volunteers are OK to attend - or is the meeting for racers only??

14. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Oh yes, this meeting is for all involved, volunteers, racers, and potential new racers. In short, this meeting is for our whole WMRC family.

15. thumper 8

Thx Dean - see you Wednesday...

On a happier note, MotoGP testing just started an hour ago in Sepang... with Lorenzo fastest @ 2?02.601, .304 ahead of Rossi... just to take folks minds off other matters :)

EDIT: What the hell - here are the times for the 1st session:

1. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Team 2m 2.905s (12 laps)
    2. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 2.930s (10)
    3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 3.044s (7)
    4. Alvaro Bautista ESP San Carlo Honda Gresini 2m 4.110s (7)
    5. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider 2m 4.577s (6)
    6. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda 2m 4.971s (11)
    7. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda 2m 7.163s (2)
    8. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 8.375s (4)
    9. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 10.993s (1)
    10. Ivan Silva ESP BQR (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2m 11.280s (10)
    11. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team 2m 11.759s (3)
    12. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda 2m 11.887s (1)
    13. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 2m 15.563s (1)
    14. Jordi Torres ESP BQR (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2m 16.565s (5)
    15. Hector Barbera ESP Pramac Racing 2m 17.372s (1)

16. Linda

Hello Tony,

Got the surgery done in December....diagnosis.....rheumatoid arthritis. Not much they can do but awaiting for a shot of cortizone. Eventually....knee replacement :eek: when it gets bad enough. I might have to trade the gixxer for a dual sport which would probably be easier position on the knee(s).
    I'll see you on Wednesday night.......

17. younglion

younglion New Member

Hope that helps but like I said, feel free to visit the website for more technical questions and info.

18. jcathie

jcathie Member

It's probably best to remove that 'v' word from your vocabulary at the border. Besides, isn't it so much more relaxing just watching the races?

19. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Thanks for that Tony!! Feeling pretty bummed about this whole thing and needed that shot of good news! GOOOOOOOOO ROSSI!!!!!

20. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

I do believe that Ray and I mentioned at the border we were heading to Laguna to "watch" the races in 2007. Didn't mention the volunteer bit for exactly that reason. No trouble, except I got a strange look from the US customs official we he saw I was travelling with a weirdo on a VTR....